Can anyone lay this down

Stars $20+2 tourney. Holding :ad :8c BB. 2 limpers, SB complete, I check.

Flop comes :5d :8d :9d

I lead out with 600 (blinds at 150/300, pot at 1200), 1 limper fold, 2 callers.

Turn comes :6d

SB check, BB check, limper bet out 2500 (pot at 3000), SB called

Can anyone here lay down the nut flush but 4 card to a straight flush?

SB is a calling station, but I am concerned about the limper. Very solid player, was a chip leader until he took a bad beat.

I just wasn't good enough of a player to lay the nut flush down. He ended up having the :7d and I was knocked out.

Comments

• That's definitely a tough one.

Depending on how the hand unfolded, and how the limper had been playing previously, I might consider laying this down if it means my tournament is over if I call and lose. 4 cards to the straight flush is always scary, especially if you have players that were previously limping and are now raising a lot after the 4th one hit the board.

However, if I've got a huge stack compared to the limper (and it's not going to cripple me to call him and lose), and I've got the nut flush with 4 on the board, I'd probably ride it out.
  • We were pretty much even in stacked. I was cripled after the lost, had about 4xBB left or so. I just didn't put him on limping with low cards (57o), as his play until now has indicated that even when he is limping, he has a solid starting hand.
  • I dont think I could ever lay that down.

Theres only one card in the deck that has you beat. The guy could easily be betting the K or Q high flush, especially since you bet the flop, which might indicate to him you were trying to protect against the flush, not make one.

If that was an open ended straight flush board I might be a little more scared, but Id still probably go broke. There are so many hands the guy could be betting other than the straight flush.
  • Wow, that is a thinker.

I have to agree and say GO FOR IT.
  • I don't think you have a deep enough stack to let go of a monster on the off chance he hit his one outer. There are a lot of other hands that would have played it this way too. It is strange that he'd make a big bet with the nuts. Wouldn't he be afraid of chasing out hands he has beaten? I guess he had a pretty good feeling he'd get called.
  • ryanhealy & JohnnieH:

But what if this guy is tight tight tight, then what would you do?

He would know that the Ace is still out there, so would he make that kind of a bet knowing you could be holding it?  If he's super tight, it's doubtful... so you could probably rule out him having the K or Q flush.

If he's really tight, and there were no preflop raises, I'd have no problem at all throwing this away (well, ok, I would have a problem with it, but I'd do it anyways, hehe).
  • pkrfce9 wrote:
    I don't think you have a deep enough stack to let go of a monster on the off chance he hit his one outer.

That's just it, the guy didn't make the pot-sized bet until after the turn (his 1 outer) had already fell.

He just limped and called the whole way, and as soon as that 4th card to the straight flush fell he made the monster bet.