Playing Online via Remote Desktop (any way to speed it up?)

Ok, here's the situation.  The network at my office has some pretty strict firewall rules, and therefore I can't play online poker directly from my computer at work.  So, I setup my computer at home so that I can use remote desktop and connect to it, and then I open up the software on my home system to play.

The only problem is, it's INCREDIBLY slow... as in, it's not even worth playing it's so bad.

Does anyone know if there's a way to optimize your remote desktop connection to speed up certain applications, or if certain poker sites are less resource intensive then others?

Aaaany suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  I'm so sad that my plan to play while at work is going bust :(

Comments

• Why are you playing at work?
  • No suggestions. I use RD alot for working from home. It's fine for normal windowed apps, but anything that is graphics intensive (such as games) are dogs.
  • I use VNC and it works fine for me for one table. To speed it up you may be able to adjust the number of colours displayed. Something to consider, any programs that are running on the computer you are remoting into could be slowing it down.

/g2
  • Also, what type of home internet access do you have? In the situation you describe, your home machine will be uploading a lot. DSL is just as fast uploading as downloading, but cable is about 8x slower when uploading, which could cause dramatic slowdowns.
  • and when your boss catches what do you say - "Noooo, I'm not playing at work, I'm playing at home"???
  • I'm using the remote desktop that's built-in to Windows XP, and usually it's pretty fast, but I guess because there are so many things to update and refresh with a poker game, it goes pretty slow (on Stars at least). I've got an amazingly fast connection @ work and ADSL at home (which is normally very fast).

I've done things like disable animations, disable pictures, etc., but it's still way too slow to play.

I guess I'll just have to suffer through not playing poker on company time... (d'oh!)
  • Hey, if they didn't want you to play at work they would've made it alot harder than just having to bypass their blockade of firewalls and connect to your computer at home which sends the information all the way to your desktop at work. Sounds like an invitation to me :D