Competition in $10 and $20 S&G's vs Micro buy-ins.

Been really getting into these 45 player sit and go's (the cheapo $1.00+0.20 variety)
I've heard a lot about small pot poker early on but was wondering if it's better to just push in early when you think you have the best hand in these small stakes games. I stunk it out for my first dozen or so tourney's playing tight and now my last six finishes have been 4th, 2nd, 1st, 41st, 2nd and 38th. I have found that I prefer to push early in these and try to get some chips right off the bat. If I bust so be it. If you hit and get a few chips you can actually do something. These tables are filled with rocks and calling stations. I usually wait until the flop to push as a set or TPTK will often get called down with middle pair or less.
What strategies are different in these tourney's as opposed to the $10 and $20 s&g's. How good is the competition. (no lectures about bankroll please, I only play with money I can afford to lose).
My wife rolls her eyes when I tell her I am in these $1 tourney's and she wants me to stop being a "wuss" and play a little higher

(lol.....great gal!!! :D)

Comments

• The competition at the $10-$20 Multi-table SNGs is still generally weak. You won't have as many players willing to go all in with lousy hands at the beginning of the tournament, but they will still exist.

You can afford to be patient and wait for a hand to accumulate chips while the blinds are still low, but don't be afraid to be aggressive with moderate hands, some of these players are capable of making laydowns with hands that can beat yours...

Don't go overboard with this idea though... Play for small pots, build them when you think you have the best of it. Think about survival in the early stages, when faced with aggression. There will be another hand if you let this one go.

When the blinds get bigger, you'll need to make adjustments, however if you're successful in the $1 sngs, you probably know this much.

Give it a shot. Don't expect to finish in the top 4 each time as there will be some good players in the field. But you won't know how you stack up unless you give it a shot. Don't be afraid of the competition, cause really, they aren't outplaying you at this level.
  • Thanks for the advice Hork. It gives me a better idea what to expect.
    Cheers
    Al