Pay attention when you play!

I was playing in a Turbo qualifier today on Stars, just a $5 rebuy into the $175 shootout.

With top 17 getting a seat, and 18-20 getting a little bit of money, we were down to about 27 and the lower end of the placings were ridiculously short stacked. Blinds were 2000-4000 with 200 antes and I had about 18k which had me in 12th place.

With the shortstacks being so shortstacked, I probably couldve just folded my way into a seat. With the blinds being so high though, it was a raise-fold all around dynamic. I pick up KJs in late position and there is only one caller in. I push all in to get the blinds and antes, as Im fairly sure theyll give me the little extra to ensure winning a seat.

Well heres what I didnt know. The player who was sitting two to my right, and who had called the blind, was new at the table. ALso, the chip leader with about 120k in chips. This guy was getting a seat no matter what and the more people he knocked out the quicker hed get it. Sure enough everyone else folds, but since my all in was nothing to him he called with an ace. I didnt hit and I was out in 26th. I watched the tournament finish out and I definitely couldve folded into a money spot, with a good chance of getting a seat.

Moral of the story. PAY A'FREAKING'TENTION to who youre playing with!

I've been kicking myself all night.

Comments

• SO SO TRUE, I HAVE HAD IT HAPPEN MIND YOU NOT AT THAT HIGH OF STAKES BUT IT STILL HURT.
  • Why would that guy call??? I mean he could put you out, but the real risk to him is that he could double you up and then you can be come a contender to beat him and win. Am I wrong in this thinking??

The way I look at it is like this: "Do I want to make it into the money or do I want to win?" and then I play accordingly
  • The way I look at it is like this: "Do I want to make it into the money or do I want to win?" and then I play accordingly

Read the OP, it's a satellite. Making it to the money and winning are the same thing.
  • BBC Z wrote:

Read the OP, it's a satellite. Making it to the money and winning are the same thing.

No they are not in this case, plus when I think this it is a general rule of thumb on what I want to do.
    ryanhealy wrote:
    \

With top 17 getting a seat, and 18-20 getting a little bit of money, we were down to about 27 and the lower end of the placings were ridiculously short stacked.
  • No they are not in this case, plus when I think this it is a general rule of thumb on what I want to do.

Your general rule of thumb is wrong if your goal is to finish first in sats.
  • i went all in in an Omaha SNG with the nut low to get one caller, when I found out it wasn't Omaha Hi/Lo!

In other words... PAY ATTENTION!

(Even when registering for SNG's)

Mark
    No they are not in this case, plus when I think this it is a general rule of thumb on what I want to do.

I gotta agree with BBC on this. "First" pays the exact same thing as 17th. The name of the game here is survival, not acquiring the most chips...
  • BBC Z wrote:

I didn't say anything about finishing first.

Again "Do I want to make it into the money or do I want to win?"

Winning in this case would be making into the top 17, getting into the money would be 18-20. With 27 people left and you having 18 K with the blinds being 2000-4000, there is no guarantee that you can just coast into a top 20 finish with 27 people left.
  • The caller has so many chips that whether he wins the pot or not he is qualifying. By showing he is going to call short stacks all-ins he prevents them from trying to steal so they have to sit back and try to outlast the other shortstacks until they are all so short that eventually someone gets blinded off. This may actually be less risky for him since even if the shortstacks keep winning their all-ins they are so short by that point that it doesn't matter, they'll be all-in again on the next hand. Plus he did have an ace. If you can probably fold into the top 17 why would you want to go all-in when you are almost guaranteed to be called and be a 2-1 favourite at best??
  • Actually
    BBC Z wrote:

Actually i think if you read the post. Top 17 pay seats and 18-20 get some residual money instead, with 26 left. He indciated that no action should get him to the cash, but not necissarily to the sat seats.
  • Actually based on the original post:
    With the shortstacks being so shortstacked, I probably couldve just folded my way into a seat.

So I'm assuming ITM is roughly equal to winning (I'm ignoring the "leftover" money finishes of 18-20th). Stealing off a big stack in this place is a bad idea IF the short stacks truly are going to bust before you're blinded off...
  • I trynot to stealthe blinds with my whole stack. Plus i lke to steal with junk easyto let go if he comes over the top........