Home Game Signup Module

I've thought about this for a few months, but based on WaterLooser's comments (http://www.pokerforum.ca/forum/index.php?topic=6421.msg53639#msg53639), I thought I'd start a bit of a discussion. I think it would be great if we could have a special topic which would keep track of registrations. I think it could be just about as simple as the voting mechanism currently in place, although there would obviously need to be a bit of thought put into it's design.

I'm curious what limitations the forum has in expanding, if they don't mind sharing. Specifically, is it possible to write modules that could be incorporated into the site, and what languages are available on the server to do that? The forum seems to be done in php, and I'm a Java programmer, so I'm not sure how much I could help. I know there are quite a few guys on the forum with some computer skills, so I'm also curious who is interested and has time to help improve the forum, if that is possible/desired/allowed.

Just a thought.

Comments

• To further the discussion, I am not sure if this is something that would/should/needs to be part of the forum. This sounds like a separate application that needs to live outside of the forum. This would allow for the most flexibility and control. Should probably search the web, something like this might already exist - evite?

It's basically evite, but for Rob's specific problem the "sign me up" would have to be backed by more logic that could limit the total number of accepts and also include the "consecutive game streak" as a condition of success. It sounds like an interesting problem for sure.
  • To further the discussion, I am not sure if this is something that would/should/needs to be part of the forum.  This sounds like a separate application that needs to live outside of the forum. This would allow for the most flexibility and control.  Should probably search the web, something like this might already exist - evite?
    It would be more flexible separately, but then hosting/bandwidth become an issue.  Also, while it would allow for greater flexibility, the forum already gets the traffic and has the db of users, so I think it would be nice if it stayed here (if possible - hopefully Sloth or one of the mods can chime in).
    It's basically evite, but for Rob's specific problem the "sign me up" would have to be backed by more logic that could limit the total number of accepts and also include the "consecutive game streak" as a condition of success. It sounds like an interesting problem for sure.
    I'm thinking partially of Rob, but also a more generally useful app for all the other hosts (Westside, me, Johnnie, etc.).  I think that there are probably a bunch of good/better ideas, but here's my initial stab at it:

A button "New Sign up" similar to "New Topic" and "New Poll" would be added.  The host could enter the normal topic body, but it would have the following additional features:
    1. Instead of "subject", there would "location", "date/time", "buy-in", etc.   These could then be merged together into a more standardized subject as has been discussed, making it easier to find games in a certain location.
    2. Fields for "# Players" and "# Waiting List" to specify size of tourney.  These could be used by the new module to format and control where players get added, and if the waiting list is full, prevent more signups.  It would probably need to support values of "*" for unlimited seats/waiting list.
    3. A massive text field (similar to the "to" field in PM) for "registered players".  This would simply be a comma-separated list, but the host could add/remove players easily here.  A "Find Members" button like that in PM would be useful here.
    4. Same as #3 for waiting list
    5. Same as #3 for "banned list".  This list of players would NOT be allowed to register for a tournament.  This could be used if you have certain players who are actually banned (poor behavior, no-show without warning 3 times in a row, etc.).  For Zithal's problem (attend 1 of 2 tourneys), he could simply copy the "registered" text field from tourney #1 into the "banned" field for tourney #2.
    6. As an added benefit, the big "registered" field from #3 could be copied directly to a PM "to" field to send out directions, etc. to everyone registered.

I'm obviously missing some stuff here, and I'd be interested in hearing other ideas as well. One thing is how to add "unregistered" people (not on forum) such as "friend #1".  But first, I think we need to find out whether we can incorporate something here or not.
  • There are a few external sites which do things like this. The first one I wasn't a fan of (can't recall the name), but a new, young site shows some promise. (Details found here http://www.pokerforum.ca/forum/index.php?topic=6445.0)

I've been playing with the site and may try hosting here starting in the new year. I think the only limitation that I'd really need is a way to keep track of a waiting list.