Breaking up the Home Game Section

Any thought to breaking up the Home Game section by region or province? Seems that no sooner than you post, it gets bumped down due to all the posting going on.

Comments

• I think this is a great suggestion. You could break up by province and then have subsections for Ontario such as KW, Toronto, Guelph, etc.
  • Be alot easier for others to sign up to games in their area faster as well.
  • I received a PM suggesting this kind of thing a while ago, and my reply is below.

Realistically, I think that most people advertising home games will want to use the "main" part of the Home Games section anyway in order to get maximum visibility. Creating separate regional Home Games sections is going to create a lot of redundant posting.

IMO, the real solution to making the Home Games section work effectively is descriptive subject lines. For example, "turny 2day" sucks, whereas "$20 NLHE freezeout, Nov 13, Guelph" or "No-limit cash game, every Wed, $1-$2 max $100, GTA" are better.

As always, it is up to the home game organizers how much (or how little) information they would like to give about their games/events. However, making the subject lines as informative as possible will go a long way.

ScottyZ

The main problem I see with this is we might get a lot of people double posting in the Home Games "main" section, and the local section. I would imagine a lot of people wanting to post in the Home Games main section for better advertising.

In the past, we have given several home game organizers their own section in "Special Events" and they prefered using the Home Games section instead. They thought this would give them greater visibility. I assume the same thing would happen if child boards were added to the Home Games Section.

(Also, adding local Home Games sections to the forum main board would simply put too many forum sections on the main page.)

While your suggestion would theoretically be great for the forum readers, I doubt that we would end up getting enough co-operation (both unintentionally, and intentionally) from the posters for it to work in practice.
  • I would agree with Scotty. Once West Side Poekr Club had it's own board, the hits went way day which is why we moved back to the home games section.

Just are experience.

Brent
  • I'm not thinking so much about the events organized like yours Brent, as I am about the actual HOME GAMES others plan on a regular basis.

I suggest keeping the Main Section open for larger events such as West Sides or for Charity Game announcements like WitchDoctors', but to also open up smaller sections by region for the casual home game player. Take a look at the section now..there are numerous home game announcements made every day, as well as those looking for games in specific areas. If we could segegrate the major events from the local home games, it would be faster to find a game locally as well as still provide a place for major events.

Just a thought. Separating the local, casual home game from larger events would make sense to me though.
  • ScottyZ wrote:
    IMO, the real solution to making the Home Games section work effectively is descriptive subject lines. For example, "turny 2day" sucks, whereas "$20 NLHE freezeout, Nov 13, Guelph" or "No-limit cash game, every Wed, $1-$2 max $100, GTA" are better.

I agree... and it looks to me like you copied my style of title ;)

/g2
  • everything here is being considered...there could also be a pump and dump kind of section in home games...a place where 1 time tournaments are posted and then the thread is erased once the event time passes.

Don't worry Scotty, I'd help with that additional work if that's the route chosen. :) Hrrmm...what to do.
  • sloth wrote:
    Don't worry Scotty, I'd help with that additional work if that's the route chosen. :) Hrrmm...what to do.
    I apologize in advance, because my suggestions will generally result in more programming for you. Anyway, if you created a "Home Game Archives" and gave the topic creator the ability to delete/move their topic, that should clean up most of them. Certain events like a casual night or SnG can/should be deleted. Other events (like Bristol or league games) could be moved to the archive section (or similiar) so they are still viewable/searchable, but out of the way of "new listings". I think most of the hosts on the forum are pretty good guys and would do most of the work themselves (of moving/deleting topics) - the mods would only need to clean up after the "other guys" :)