$10+$1 tourney, $20,000 minimum pool

Starts in 35 minutes. $10+$1 tourney, paying $20,000 minimum prize pool.

On Pokerstars. Number 1668636

Only 108 entered so far.

Better money than a sit and go for the same price. Get in there guys.

Comments

• Online names would help, in case we run into each other. With only 257 entered, with 15 minutes to go, this should be a relatively small field. I'll guess 550 by starting time.

I'm DJEP on Stars. Call them out guys.
  • this should be a relatively small field. I'll guess 550 by starting time.

That seems to be the typical field size the times I've played this.

You know this is a rebuy tournament right?

ScottyZ
  • Yes, I noticed that. lol
  • Okay, just cheking. I thought you might have been getting a little hyped because of the $20K minimum. :)

The prize pool typically does get over the $20K guarantee with all the re-buys & add-ons.

ScottyZ
  • So much for my, "not gonna play for awhile to get my focus back". lmao

I'll update here if anything interesting happens.
  • My early exit tells me I should listen to myself more often. :(
  • I'm a big fan of these tournaments. I haven't done that great in them, but they're really fun to play. My favourite part is watching people play in a totally insane manner to try and double up during the rebuy period. I guess the thinking is: "I'll take big risks because if I bust out I can just rebuy".

This usually results in the person paying $80 for T1500 chips, instead of $10.

I'm going to play the 10:15 tonight... I usually play a couple of these a week.

My overall rebuy strategy is to do one immediate rebuy to take it up to T3000. If I make it to the add-on period, I take it, regardless of how many chips I have in front of me. If I bust out during the rebuy period after doing the immediate rebuy, I generally quit. These aren't hard and fast rules for me, but I'd say 90% of the time it goes down like that.

Anyone else do the immediate rebuy thing?

Regards,
    all_aces
  • I do the same thing , I think its an ideal strategy as well. If you dont rebuy & then win a few hands you could be the whole time between 1500 & 3000 chips untill the add on.
    Ive also had some luck on the turbo Satellite's, If you win more than one , then you get "Tournement Chips" . I qualified for the recent 300k twice & got $540.00 in TC.
    I wish they would start those Rebuys at 8.00 or so 10.00pm is brutal if you have to work the next day!!
  • Mark wrote:
    I do the same thing , I think its an ideal strategy as well. If you dont rebuy & then win a few hands you could be the whole time between 1500 & 3000 chips untill the add on.
    Ive also had some luck on the turbo Satellite's, If you win more than one , then you get "Tournement Chips" . I qualified for the recent 300k twice & got $540.00 in TC.
    I wish they would start those Rebuys at 8.00 or so 10.00pm is brutal if you have to work the next day!!

This is probably an optimal strategy IF you are one of the best players in the tournament. Otherwise probably not. I don't remember where I read this but.... poker is like sex: everyone thinks they are good at it.

Anyway, thinking back to Sklansky's tournament book, remember that chips which are "lower" on your stack have more value. That is, your first 1000 chips are worth more than your second 1000 chips (hence the whole, "a chip lost is worth more than a chip won", which is a reason to avoid close high variance gambles, even if they are slightly +EV) So, we can conclude that when you do the automatic rebuy right at the beginning, you are not getting as good of a deal as you got on your initial buy-in (ignoring the fact that you had to play an entry fee for your buy-in). So at first glance it seems that the automatic rebuy is not a good idea. BUT... remember that if you are one of the better players, your equity is more than your chip count. For example:

Say you are such a good player that, in a non-rebuy tournament, you would average cashing out twice your buy-in. So in this $10 tourney, your first 1000 tournament chips have an equity for you of about $20. Now, your next 1000 chips are not worth as much to you... but they would still be worth more than $10! Maybe they would only be worth, say, $19... (giving you a total equity of $39 instead of $20 if you do the immediate rebuy) which is fine, since you are still gaining $9 by making the rebuy.

Keith
  • I am a truly excellent poker player.

lol :wink: j/k
  • I also usually do the immediate rebuy thing. I am prepared to rebuy again and add on. Basically I am willing to spend $50 give or take if I need to. I feel the extra chips gives me more play and makes it worth while spending the money. You can always have $5000 at the start of the 100/200 blind level.
    The prize pool is worth it too.
    $50 for a chance at $5500 to $7000 is a great deal.

I love these tournaments! It helps that I won close to $6000 in one of these a couple of months ago. I got heads up with a player called "the sherriff" and we made a deal. But I loved these tournies before I had my big win.
  • It helps that I won close to $6000 in one of these a couple of months ago

Nice! You playing tonight?
  • Yes I am in there tonight
    Currently at table 72 with 4700
    still in the rebuy period though
  • Dick Hertz wrote:
    Yes I am in there tonight
    Currently at table 72 with 4700
    still in the rebuy period though

I'm sitting right there with you...

Heh.

Mike
  • Nice playin with you Mike. Sorry I didnt look back at this post in time to notice who you were. lol
    See you in the forum tourny at Stars.