Would 5 of a kind beat a Royal Flush?

Would 5 of a kind beat a Royal Flush? :shock:

assuming there's such thing :lol:

Comments

• I'd say Royal Flush wins...they are so badass :lol:
  • if you're playing any game with wild cards (which is where one would most often find five of a kind), the five is said to beat a royal flush.

not sure i agree with that from a math perspective, but that's the deal.
  • This is a house rule.

ScottyZ
  • agreed, it's not official.
    also, see sz's other port about naturals usually accepted as beating wild-card hands...again, a house rule
  • Whether or not "natural" hands beat "wild" hands is an issue with a lot of fuzzy boundaries, and I remember arguing with my buddies in the old days about how the criteria should be applied. (It didn't help that we were all graduate students in math!) Eventually we got tired of the arguments and just let the hands play, wild cards or no.

From a math perspective :) 5 of a kind does beat
    a straight flush. I'll do the case of one joker added to the deck -- you can generalize to any number of jokers (deuces wild, for example) and/or bugs (used as Aces or to complete straights/flushes).

straight flushes: 40 without a joker + 40*5 with one joker = 240 in total.

5 of a kind: 0 without a joker + 13 with one joker = 13 in total.

5 of a kind is MUCH rarer, and this persists no matter how many wildcards you use.

However, my favourite rule for jokers is that they can be used as any card in the standard deck not already in the hand. This makes 5 of a kind impossible.

If you really want 5-of a kind get two decks with the same back but one with big numerals. Seperate out the Big Spades and mix them in with the other deck to get a deck with 5 suits. Remember that flushes beat full houses with this deck, though. :wink:
  • professor wrote:
    From a math perspective :) 5 of a kind does beat
    a straight flush. I'll do the case of one joker added to the deck -- you can generalize to any number of jokers (deuces wild, for example) and/or bugs (used as Aces or to complete straights/flushes).

straight flushes: 40 without a joker + 40*5 with one joker = 240 in total.

5 of a kind: 0 without a joker + 13 with one joker = 13 in total.

5 of a kind is MUCH rarer, and this persists no matter how many wildcards you use.

yeah that was pretty much my reasoning :D

but i would never ever want to see this kind of play in the wsop... ( of course it wont happen but for sake of argument )
    mite have to throw a chair at a 'named' player :mrgreen:
    cuz she yells 'FY' and 'FY to the dealer'...OMG...OMG!!! 5 of a Kind
    this is the worst thing to happen to me in a tournament :evil:

ROFLMFAO :mrgreen:
  • In draw with a joker (used as a bug) 5 aces does beat a royal. The "bug" (joker) can be used only as an ace, or to complete a straight, a flush, or a straight flush. So the only 5 of a kind possible in this game is 5 aces.

This is a "real" game... or at least it used to be. It's the kind of draw poker that Mike Caro spends most of his time talking about in his chapter of Super System. It's a fun game too... I don't know why draw poker has all but disappeared off the face of the planet.

Keith
  • When I play with friends we always put a natural hand above a wildcard hand. Not sure if its right but we think its fair.
  • MiamiKeith wrote:
    In draw with a joker (used as a bug) 5 aces does beat a royal. The "bug" (joker) can be used only as an ace, or to complete a straight, a flush, or a straight flush. So the only 5 of a kind possible in this game is 5 aces.

This is a "real" game... or at least it used to be. It's the kind of draw poker that Mike Caro spends most of his time talking about in his chapter of Super System. It's a fun game too... I don't know why draw poker has all but disappeared off the face of the planet.

Magicians. It's all because of magicians.

(seriously! too much sleight of hand)