Determining a winning/losing session.

I have seen reference to winning/losing sessions and while I have my own set of standards to determine whether I have played winning or losing sessions I was wondering if there is a game standard we should be utilizing? For example, if I have played a minimum of 1 hour in a cash game and win/lose any amount I jot this down in the appropriate column.

Comments

• Number of sessions won and lost is not a very useful statistic. If I felt like it, I could genereate a string of 50 consecutive winning sessions with extremely high probability by simply buying-in to games with outrageous buy-ins (e.g. $500 in a $0.01-$0.02 game) and setting a stop-win limit of $0.01.
    ...I have my own set of standards to determine whether I have played winning or losing sessions...

Huh? Do you mean you have your own definition of when a session begins and ends? A winning session is simply a session (whatever you define this as) where your net profit is +$0.01 or more.
    For example, if I have played a minimum of 1 hour in a cash game and win/lose any amount I jot this down in the appropriate column.

If sessions shorter than 1 hour go unrecorded, this is a significant error in your record keeping.

Yesterday, I had a 45 minute session where I lost 42 big bets. It would have been very appealing, and totally dishonest, to write this off as a "non-session".

ScottyZ
  • Scotty, thanks for the input. Referring to session start etc. I was referring to my time spent at the table. I realize that the stats can be misleading and is more of an at a glance look at my progess. From your post though I get the picture. LOL.
  • I liked Dave Scarf's post a while back....

Its all ONE LONG SESSION...
  • Wolffhound wrote:
    I liked Dave Scarf's post a while back....

Its all ONE LONG SESSION...

Aye,

If you're down and on your death bed, go all in!
  • I log any amount of time at a table as a "session." If I play four tables at once online, I log 4 sessions.

I think that the % of winning sessions is interesting since it reminds me that "you can't win all the time."

I leave a winner in 55.56% of days that I play.