Last Night - Worse beat of my Poker Life

I was sitting at a 6 player $10-20 limit table on Party Poker.  I am in first position with Kd Kh.  I raise pre-flop, get one caller and BB re-raises me, so I call his raise.

Flop comes Kc Ks jc, I am first to go, so I check not wanting everyone to fold to my bed, and hoping the big blind bets since he was raising pre-flop.  My plan at this point is to simply smooth call the flop to raise later in the more expensive betting rounds.  To my surprise, the guy after me is the first to bet and the BB raises.... hmmm I am grinning from ear to ear at this point.  I decide to call the raise but the guy after me reraises... saweet.. BB calls and so do I.

Turn card is 10c.  I check the turn, guy following me Bets it, BB raises, at this point I decide to reraise and the guy after me folds, BB caps the raises. River comes and it is a 5h.  Ok.. call me blinded by my Quad Kings, but I was not going to accept that this guy had the 2 possible hands that could beat me.. which were AQ clubs or Q9 clubs.  So I put him on Ax clubs and he had to be betting the flush.

So I open the betting on river, he raises, I re-raise, and in horror my hand mucks as the pot slides over to his AQ clubs.... :(  Of course at this point I started second guessing my pre-flop play, I should of reraised to cap, but he likely would have called with AQ suited, and when the flop came... maybe if I capped it there.. but not likely since he was a on Flush draw, Str. Flush draw and straigh draw...

Ah well... I am hoping this is the worse beating of my life, cause the odds of me losing that hand after the flop had to be less then 1%.

I did manage to win back the loses from that hand over the next few hours, but I hours later I was laying in bed saying.. I can't believe that happened.. that is the kind of stuff you see in the movies.

GL

Comments

• Preflop - Cap.
  • You really think he would of folded his $30 pre-flop raise to a $10 reraise?
  • Going Low wrote:
    You really think he would of folded his $30 pre-flop raise to a $10 reraise?

You missed the point.
  • On the flop, this is a very clear fold.

[automobile brakes screeching sound effect] Hang on, I'd better not go there again.
    Ah well... I am hoping this is the worse beating of my life, cause the odds of me losing that hand after the flop had to be less then 1%.

Assuming you know your opponent's hole cards, with 1 out twice, your opponent has about a 4% chance of winning the hand as of the flop.

Assuming that your opponent could have a variety of hands, yes, your chances of losing the hand (as of the flop) are much less than 1%.

I would have re-raised the flop for value, and bet out on the flop.

Betting the flop looks very natural, and your opponent will believe he is getting the right odds to at least call you on the flop holding a hand as weak as AQo.

ScottyZ
  • Going Low wrote:
    You really think he would of folded his $30 pre-flop raise to a $10 reraise?

Of course not. This is a value raise.

You currently believe that

a) You likely have the best hand.
    b) You will likely get called by a worse hand.

In fact, this is a strong value raise because condition (b) is virtually guaranteed.

The only reason you might not cap the pre-flop betting would be to disguise your hand, a highly overrated concept in low-middle limit limit poker.

ScottyZ
  • The only reason you might not cap the pre-flop betting would be to disguise your hand, a highly overrated concept in low-middle limit limit poker.

Yes this was my intent.  But I see your point.
  • He's probably posting some where about the best hand in his life.......once the 10 fell I might have tighten up a little bit on the betting (especially when he kept raising my re-raises) but this is a go broke hand. Just be thankful you weren’t playing NL.
  • Ah yes, Party Poker....where 3 aces in a 4 handed game looses to some yahoo who called big all in with 8/6 offsuit for a full house.
  • I guess I'll just steal a line my friend once said
    "You haven't played on Party enough if you haven't lost your quads to a straight flush"
  • I wonder what the odds are of quads loosing to a straight flush.....
    Apparently pretty good.... :D

Forgot to send my condolences GL :'(

Hobbes
  • Hobbes wrote:
    Ah yes, Party Poker....where 3 aces in a 4 handed game looses to some yahoo who called big all in with 8/6 offsuit for a full house.

This happend to me on Wednesday, had the A high flush and the guy called with two pair, 8's and 6's (no pair on the board) and the final 6 same on the river!
  • Party has a bad beat jackpot, if quad 8's or better are beaten...but I'm not sure what tables it applies to, and I think 4 people need to see the flop, but worth looking into, you may be rich, lol!!!!