Evaluate my play.

This hand occurred in a $5 SNG last night. Blinds are 160/320. We're down to four players. I'm second in chips with around 2000.

I pick up QQ UTG and raise to 640.
Button (chip leader) calls. The blinds fold.
The flop come J 9 6, two suits.
I bet out 320, and he cold calls.
The turn is Q.
I bet out 640, and he cold calls again. (I'm thinking he has a straight)
The river is 10.
I bet out my last 330, and he calls.
He has K8off for a straight.

I bust out of the money. Is there anything else different I could've done?
I feel that this guy is an idiot for calling me with king high to the river.

Comments

• I have a rule that has come by me a few times.
    THE RULE.
    When you have less than 10 times the big blind, push all in on the hand you will play.

You will gain BB+SB+Antes(if any), which add up alot at that point.

In your example. You risk 2000 to gain 480 Tchips, or a gain of 23% of your stack. Do this a few times and you can double almost on that alone.
    The few times you runn into a solid hand. AA,KK,AK your a dog but not by much. Your even better than AKs. So don't try to be funny let the cards fall were they may.

Would this player call 2000 with K8os????
  • If this is a limit tournament, I'd play it the same, except I would have made a check and call on the river. The hope here is that he might check the low end of the straight behind you. Making another 330 value bet here isn't nearly as valuable as possibly getting a shot at staying alive in the tournament in the cases where you do lose the hand.

Also, is the board 3 (or more) suited on the river?

If this was no-limit:

Instead of raising the minimum pre-flop, I favour either limping in, or raising bigger. Minimum raises give away too much information to your opponents for not enough of their chips. I'd favour raising, since I'd probably be stealing a lot pre-flop anyway in your situation. I'm sure going to be playing my legit hands strongly too.

I'd move the rest in on the flop. My opponent may be willing to make a "pot-committed" or "who cares, I'm on a big stack" bad call here.

ScottyZ
  • It's important to know how big the chip leader's stack was, as well. If he had a HUGE lead, then his play moves from atrocious to only terrible. But not by much. And only if his stack was such that calling these bets meant absolutely nothing to him. But he should still have folded.

As for pushing all-in preflop, this isn't a bad idea. You have a mountain of chips on your left, so you have to be betting *his* stack, not yours, if that makes any sense. A bet that may seem large to you and to your stack may be a drop in the bucket to the big stack. An all-in bet usually gets a big stack to fold most hands, particularly hands like these K8o.

His play after the flop is terrible, unless he picked up some kind of flush draw? Your play is good, but I definitely would have moved in on the flop with that kind of board.

160/320? Crazy blind increments!

Since we're on the topic of bad play, maybe this will make you feel a bit better...

30/60 Stars limit game.

Folded to me in MP with 66 and I raise. Button calls, BB calls.

Flop: K 6 3 rainbow. Check, I bet, and both call.

Turn: 2 completes rainbow. Check check, button bets, BB calls, I checkraise, button 3-bets, BB calls, I cap, both call.

River: 4.

BB bets, we both call. BB shows 52o for rivered straight, and takes it down. I checked the hand history, and the button had AKo.

Regards,
    all_aces
  • It was no limit.

I bet my last 330 just to get more from him if he didn't have me beat. It would've been pointless to check and let him put me all-in, and I fold a set. Even if I did fold, I would only have enough for the BB next hand.
  • all_aces wrote:
    160/320? Crazy blind increments!

It was a SNG!!!! Not $160/$320. LOL
  • Lol I know.... 160/320 are crazy blind increments for a sit and go, though, at least in my experience. :D

If you do happen to play in a 160/320 cash game, let me know! I like watching high-stakes games...
  • Jay wrote:
    It was no limit.

I bet my last 330 just to get more from him if he didn't have me beat. It would've been pointless to check and let him put me all-in, and I fold a set. Even if I did fold, I would only have enough for the BB next hand.

You can still check the river leaving the possibility of him checking behind you. However, you *call* if he bets the river, not fold. As I mentioned, I think getting an extra 330 when you're good isn't quite as valuable as the possibility of him checking an 8.

To be honest, I expected you to say it was a limit tournament based on the action. Finding out that it was no-limit, I think you played it too slowly not getting all of your chips in on the flop (or earlier).

ScottyZ
  • I figured that I should've moved all-in pre/post-flop. Lesson learned.
  • I surely would have moved all in post flop...with my luck they still call and I lose :cry: