Was I gonna get away from this.

Heres another hand for discussion. I just love adding to the zillions of posts like this :D

$20 Tourney - Final Table 8 Players remaining I am 3 in chips with about 19,000 chips, everyone else is in the 2,000 to 10,000 range, chip leader is like 32,000

BLINDS are at 200/400

I get Ad Jd in the small blind, UTG limps and everyone else folds.

I tend to get scared in this part of the tourney as short stacks usually have one move. I still bump it to 1,200 preflop.

Big Blind player has about 8,000 in chips, and calls
UTG Calls

the Flop comes down Qh 4s Js,

I bet out 1,200 figuring that if QJ, AQ, KQ or anything of that sort is there they will re-raise and QT or T9 will call. I also figure that if the Ace of spades is out there I may call.

Turn is Ah, I bet out 2,000 signaling to my opponents (GTFO - Get the F*ck Out), both players call me.

River is 6h, I bet out 2,000, Big Blind Jumps all in (1,600 more), UTG calls, I call.

I show two pair, bb shows Kh8h, UTG folds.

I bust out 5th a few hands later.

HOW DO I GET AWAY FROM THESE HANDS????

Comments

• Only pushing all-in on the turn would justify your attempt to look like a badass with acronyms such GTFO. ;)

Pre-flop, fine. Flop, fine.

Turn, the pot is now big enough, your hand good enough, and the board scary enough, to make simply moving all-in the superior play.

As the hand actually progressed, I would move all-in on the river. Getting away from the hand at this point is absurd.

ScottyZ
  • i agree with all in on the turn. otherwise I play it the same way.
  • I would raise to at least 1600 preflop. You'll be out of position so make them think twice about calling. I would make a slightly larger bet on the flop. Probably around 2000. 1200 is a bit small and doesn't show much strength so some strange hands might call. On the turn the pot is 7200, I'm betting at least 6000 depending on how many chips UTG has. Basically I'm betting enough to make it wrong for a draw to call (even counting implied odds). You're definitely not getting away on the river the pot is huge and you have a big hand.
  • Sorry .. I wasn't trying to be a bad ass, but thats all I could think of.

I didn't make a large raise on the flop because I was afraid of hands like AQ, KQ, QJ making a move on me.

I realize now that I should have gone all in on the turn but I guess thats just something I will have to work on ...

Thanks for the input guys, actually, the 5th place earned me $150.00 so I wasn't too mad.