My question to Dave...

Dave,
First off, as I'm sure you've heard this many times over the
last few hours, well played. You sat down at an elite event and pre-vailed very nicely, I'm sure you would have liked a better a result, but as I'm sure anyone here would concur, excellent job.

I consider myself to be a pretty young player. I'm 20 years old and only been playing Hold'Em on and off for about year, the last little while I'm finnally getting the hang of the fundamentles, learning the "odds" and really just enjoying myself, playing Hold'Em online for a few hours every night and enjoying some competive games with friends.

My question is, when is someone ready to play on-line for "real", I've dedicated lots of time "observing" different stakes tables, i.e .10/.25 tables etc, and I realize these games are quite small-potatos but it's still nice to see how the hands are played, and get an average for how many players see the flop cositantly or not (Poker Stars does this anaylsis for you), I know that it's a different game playing for play money compared to real money online, as when it's fake money everyone generally calls more often, it's been my practice to play "fake" money games as I would real money games and play tight.

Anyway, just thinking about putting in some money and try hard grow it in Limit Games the best I can. I think Hellmuth would definatley call me a mouse as my style of play is very consertavive, not because I'm cheap, just because I believe that folding marginal hands against a raise or two raises etc gets you further sometimes then playing everything you see.

Thanks for any input,

Congrats again on a fine WSOP!

:D

Comments

• My question is, when is someone ready to play on-line for "real"

Good question. Hard to answer.

Play in play money games so that, at the very least, you understand how the game is played. The "rules" as it were.

Read some books and become comfortable with your level of knowledge.

Then... jump in.

Play at a level that will NOT BE A PROBLEM if you lose. Because... you will lose. Everybody does. Almost everybody starts as a loser. Some change that faster than others.

Play for at least 100 hours at your entry level before considering moving up.

Go slow.

Keep learning.

Not very helpful am I?