omaha please help explain something

Hi can someone please help me to understand why i lost this hand? First let me tell you i have never played omaha before and read quickly the basics. I thought i had the A high flush but lost the hand?
Thanks for any help

Stage #210228415 Tourney ID 43676 Omaha Multi Normal Tournament Pot Limit $10 - 2005-10-11 00:16:50 (ET)
Table: 16 (Real Money) Seat #8 is the dealer
ZZZZODIN - Posts small blind $10
DADDY310 - Posts big blind $20
*** POCKET CARDS ***
Dealt to DRAGONDEATH [Ac 2h Ks Qc]
IZREAL - Calls $20
DARKNESS25 - Calls $20
DRAGONDEATH - Raises $80 to $80
GENERATOR36 - Calls $80
ACEMONGER - Raises $160 to $160
ALPEA41 - Folds
KOHLOSSUS - Folds
ZZZZODIN - Folds
DADDY310 - Calls $140
IZREAL - Folds
DARKNESS25 - Folds
DRAGONDEATH - Calls $80
GENERATOR36 - Calls $80
*** FLOP *** [4s 10h 10s]
DADDY310 - Checks
DRAGONDEATH - Checks
GENERATOR36 - Bets $80
ACEMONGER - Raises $160 to $160
DADDY310 - Calls $160
DRAGONDEATH - Calls $160
GENERATOR36 - Calls $80
*** TURN *** [4s 10h 10s] [Js]
DADDY310 - Checks
DRAGONDEATH - Bets $80
GENERATOR36 - Calls $80
ACEMONGER - Calls $80
DADDY310 - Calls $80
*** RIVER *** [4s 10h 10s Js] [As]
DADDY310 - Checks
DRAGONDEATH - Bets $240
GENERATOR36 - Calls $240
ACEMONGER - Calls $240
DADDY310 - Folds
*** SHOW DOWN ***
DRAGONDEATH - Shows [Ac 2h Ks Qc] (Straight, ten to ace)
GENERATOR36 - Shows [6c 9s 9d 7s] (Flush, ace high)
ACEMONGER - Mucks
GENERATOR36 Collects $2370 from main pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total Pot($2370)
Board [4s 10h 10s Js As]
Seat 1: DADDY310 (big blind) Folded on the RIVER
Seat 2: IZREAL Folded on the POCKET CARDS
Seat 3: DARKNESS25 Folded on the POCKET CARDS
Seat 4: DRAGONDEATH HI:lost with Straight, ten to ace [Ac 2h Ks Qc - B:As,P:Ks,P:Qc,B:Js,B:10h]
Seat 5: GENERATOR36 won Total ($2370) HI:($2370) with Flush, ace high [6c 9s 9d 7s - B:As,B:Js,B:10s,P:9s,P:7s]
Seat 6: ACEMONGER HI: [Mucked] [2d 3c Qs Qd]
Seat 7: ALPEA41 Folded on the POCKET CARDS
Seat 8: KOHLOSSUS (dealer) Folded on the POCKET CARDS
Seat 9: ZZZZODIN (small blind) Folded on the POCKET CARDS

Comments

• You MUST use two of your hole cards. In order to make your flush, it would've meant that you only use one of your hole cards, and four community cards, which is why you didn't have a flush.
  • dragondeath...

Don't feel bad, this is a mistake that people make all the time in Omaha... what I find helpful is that when reading the board, figure out what your best possible hand is, and then decide your action... so if the board ends up  something like

:10c  :jc :8c  :qs :9c

and you have

:qc :8h :8s :9d

You do NOT have a straight flush (:8c, :9c, :10c, :jc, :qc), nor do you have a flush.  You also do NOT have a full house (:8c, :8h, :8s, :9d, :9c) - this is an EXTREMELY common, and profitable for others, mistake.  A full house is not possible unless the board pairs... just like in Texas.

What you do have (your best hand) is a straight, Q high (:8c, :9d, :10c, :jc, :qc).  So now, if you put it into "Hold 'em" terms, your pocket cards are basically :qc, :9d.  Looking at the board, you can see that you're beat by any two clubs, or AK, or QK.

Hope this helps!!

Mark
  • As Wolffhound correctly points out (and thinking this way helps me big time!!!) try to think of it more as YOU MUST USE 3 CARDS FROM THE BOARD, when there are 4 of any suit on the board and you have one in your hand you don't have the flush...a very common and costly mistake.
    It's a crazy game!!!!

DrTyore's example is excellent as well....

now when you have 6678 in your hand and the board falls 456 you can really clean out the players at your table quickly...uhmmm, as in Friday night, lol!!!!!!!
  • Big E wrote:

now when you have 6678 in your hand and the board falls 456 you can really clean out the players at your table quickly...uhmmm, as in Friday night, lol!!!!!!!

I honestly think that that was the easiest all-in call I've ever seen in Omaha!! I would kill to find myself in that spot.

(Btw... thanks again for hosting, it was a blast!)

Mark
  • Thank you for your help i read what everyone said then went back to reread the rules and now i understand my mistake.
    Thanks again
  • Glad you had a good time Mark, we'll do it again next month....I want to ease into having one in between Wolff's.

Unfortunately for my wife (and later that night me?) we found out the vent from my office leads directly upstairs beside the bed so it was like Johnny was standing right beside her (not Johnny's fault at all by the way) while playing that tourney on-line for ya....so next time I have to figure out a way to block that noise. The noise from the rec-room was fine, I had a blast...drank way to much...I remember dealing the final game, had no clue who'd won...Wolff tells me you did so congratz!
  • Big E wrote:
    Glad you had a good time Mark, we'll do it again next month....I want to ease into having one in between Wolff's.

Unfortunately for my wife (and later that night me?) we found out the vent from my office leads directly upstairs beside the bed so it was like Johnny was standing right beside her (not Johnny's fault at all by the way) while playing that tourney on-line for ya....so next time I have to figure out a way to block that noise. The noise from the rec-room was fine, I had a blast...drank way to much...I remember dealing the final game, had no clue who'd won...Wolff tells me you did so congratz!

Buddy.. I had so much to drink, I didn't remember how drunk YOU were... I do think I ended up beating Wally heads up, and the pocketfull of twoonies I woke up with after the bounty seems to collaborate the story.

Mark