Unusual Hand - Who Played it Worst?

Was trying 8 tabling for the first time at the "new Party" to plow through a reload bonus (only took 2.5 hours as well).

A strange hand happened that caused a buch of debate among myself and my poker friends as to who actually played the hand the worst at various points and why.

Keep in mind this is a very low limit table so player quality will be all over.  I had no read on anyone (hard to when 8 tabling).  The hand interested me more from the pure theoretical side, and I admit the end results baffled me quite a bit.  I am curious what others here think.

***** Hand History for Game 2855647775 *****
$0.50/$1 Texas Hold'em - Monday, October 10, 11:24:35 EDT 2005
Table Table  65365 (No DP) (Real Money)
Seat 2 is the button
Total number of players : 10
Seat 4: GotNutz6253 ( $21 )
Seat 7: Monteroy ( $32.75 )
Seat 8: loliff ( $88.75 )
Seat 1: grifter478 ( $33.75 )
Seat 3: foma777 ( $25 )
Seat 6: benwin13 ( $24.50 )
Seat 2: greydog05 ( $12.50 )
Seat 5: txangler ( $24.50 )
Seat 9: beemeup58 ( $24.50 )
Seat 10: JD13GM ( $12.63 )
foma777 posts small blind [$0.25].
GotNutz6253 posts big blind [$0.50].
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Monteroy [  As Kc ]
txangler calls [$0.50].
Monteroy raises [$1].
loliff folds.
beemeup58 folds.
JD13GM folds.
grifter478 folds.
greydog05 folds.
foma777 folds.
GotNutz6253 raises [$1].
txangler calls [$1].
Monteroy calls [$0.50].
** Dealing Flop ** [ Td, Jh, 6c ]
benwin13 has left the table.
GotNutz6253 bets [$0.50].
txangler calls [$0.50].
Monteroy raises [$1].
GotNutz6253 raises [$1].
txangler calls [$1].
Monteroy calls [$0.50].
** Dealing Turn ** [ 4d ]
GotNutz6253 bets [$1].
txangler calls [$1].
Monteroy calls [$1].
** Dealing River ** [ 7h ]
GotNutz6253 checks.
txangler checks.
Monteroy checks.
GotNutz6253 shows [ 9h, Ah ] high card ace.
txangler shows [ 9s, 9d ] a pair of nines.
Monteroy doesn't show [ As, Kc ] high card ace.
txangler wins $11.50 from  the main pot  with a pair

Comments

• Who played it bad:

1) You: Preflop, cap it.

2) On the flop: You. Why are you raising there? Theres no one to knock out behind you and given the action preflop, the free card play chances seem slim.

This hand isn't all that interesting.. GotNutz is a maniac and txangler is a calling station.
  • I appreciate the dismissive nature of your reply. I had forgotten about your innate need to do that whenever possible, it's charming.

Keep in mind that I was 8 tabling for the first time, so I readily admit my play will be weaker, though I am not certain capping accomplishes as much as you might think. People play any pair and a lot of connectors so often times you are not really in with the best of it with AKo when facing multiple opponents (and that certainly was the case here).

The free card play I did not think was that bad. It should have worked based on the hands they had and I was confused when it did not after. I find when grinding out the bonuses there it nearly always works when in position, so perhaps I use it too much (but then again, it pretty much nearly always works as most low limit players are passive by nature even with a solid hand).

If anyone else has opinions on the hand, whether it is deemed interesting or not, they are appreciated. Thank you in advance.
  • Monteroy wrote:
    I am curious what others here think.
    Monteroy wrote:
    I appreciate the dismissive nature of your reply.  I had forgotten about your innate need to do that whenever possible, it's charming.

If anyone else has opinions on the hand, whether it is deemed interesting or not, they are appreciated.  Thank you in advance.

You ask for opinions, you get an opinion, and then you berate the poster of the opinion you were looking for? Why bother asking if you are just going to write that crap if someone doesn't agree with your "interesting" hand play? You asked specifically who played it worst, BBC told you in his opinion that it was in fact you, I happen to agree with him.

What exactly was so interesting about this hand anyway? The fact that you lost with AK? That happens at least 24,687 times per day. What makes this one so "interesting"?
  • Should have folded the turn.
    Assuming you got to the river, you should have bet.

• You ask for opinions, you get an opinion, and then you berate the poster of the opinion you were looking for? Why bother asking if you are just going to write that crap if someone doesn't agree with your "interesting" hand play? You asked specifically who played it worst, BBC told you in his opinion that it was in fact you, I happen to agree with him.

What exactly was so interesting about this hand anyway? The fact that you lost with AK? That happens at least 24,687 times per day. What makes this one so "interesting"?

Actually, I did not berate him based on his opinion about whether I played the hand badly or not, I fully accept that I may have.  His whole attitude in the post is the inappropriate dismissive/superior one he has used many times in the past, and that pervasive attitude tends to distract for any point he tries to make, whether valid or not.  Many long threads in the past eventually broke down to people calling him an ass, and I assure you very few topics are less interesting then that.

I prefer to talk about the theory of poker once in a while here and the thought process/emotions behind unusual hands.  Feel free to search and read my previous posts as examples and in them you will see they are of a similar style.  Also, look at the responses.  When Dave Scharf responds for instance, he does it in a thought out and informative manner rather then a dismissive one and that makes a big difference in terms of a healthy discussion on a topic - any topic.

Now, specifically why do I think this hand is interesting?  Because in the end 3 people played it wrong in different ways and that combination struck me as odd.  If you believe it is because I am merely upset about losing with AK, then you missed the whole point.  I was not even the favorite pre-flop in this case, it is hardly a bad beat, nor am I whining about the end result.   I hardly expect to win every AK hand as historically I only win about half of them.

If you think I played it the worst that's fine, please give the specific reasons why and include an analysis of the other players play as well for comparison sake.  That would be more informative and interesting to me.  Give specific reasons.  If the hand completely bores you then just ignore the entire post.

"Should have folded the turn.
    Assuming you got to the river, you should have bet."

One of the few specific replies so far though I tend to disagree with this.  I knew I had 3 outs for sure and up to 10 so folding a $1 bet into a $11 pot on the turn seems incorrect to me.
  • PREFLOP: Cap it. Your hand has good equity against the range of hands your two opponents could be holding, not to mention you have position.

FLOP: Id prefer to smooth call here. Your not likely to buy a free card in this spot, but my opinon is a bit skewed as its been a while since Ive played 50cent/1dollar and the passivity at these tables can often be mind boggling.

TURN: Well, your certainly getting odds to peel, but dont have value to raise...so call.

RIVER: Is there anything to do but check through? No better hand is folding and no worse hands are calling.
  • I appreciate the dismissive nature of your reply.

Is my response dismissive because:

1) I disagree with the premise of your post? Because I don't agree that we should all sit around and chuckle at how bad your opponents are? If anything is dismissive, it's your attitude towards your opponents.

2) I did infact, point out the parts where you seemed to have played it incorrectly?

3) Your hand is boring and occurs all the time?

Fact is, you posted this because you wanted to forum to talk about how terrible your opponents are. I spun it to show you your errors instead. It's fine if you don't want to improve, but don't get all defensive when I don't laugh along with the rest of your 'pals'.
  • I appreciate the irony of your assumptions given the fact that the arguements I was making to my "chuckling buddies" as you would call them is that I likely played the hand the worst given the nature of these opponents (which I completely missed due to multi tabling - another flaw in my play in theory). 

I guess I can understand the hostile tone of your responses based on your inaccurate assumptions of why I made this post.  Sorry, but it was not to laugh at random .5/1 players.  The fact is after a 1,500 hand 8 table grind session this was one of the few that made me chuckle, because the end hands were completely not what I expected.

As much as you may believe I posted this merely to have this forum dismiss my opponents, the fact is I am more curious what people think about the hand from each of the 3 participants (ie what they were thinking, what they should be thinking etc).  Again, look at my other posts and you will see that is why I post what I consider unusual hands and ask for feedback.

If after looking at my posts, you believe they should not be posted here that is fine.  You have several hundred posts so I imagine this forum is important to you.  It hardly seems "bustling" so I thought some posts of hands that interested me might add a bit to it.  They are not whine/ bad beat posts or online poker is rigged posts, however if they don't add any value that is  not a problem as I imagine whether there are 2 or 3 new posts a day here will not change too much in the grand scheme of things.

All the best.
  • Monteroy wrote:

I had no read on anyone (hard to when 8 tabling). 

I disagree.  Consider using pokertracker with Gametime+.  This will give you a decent read on the player types.  You can at least tell tight/loose, passive/aggressive at a glance.

I can understand the reaction this hand has received... For this limit there's really nothing unusual or abnormal about what the players are holding or how they played their hands.   If you've played 1500 sessions of 8 tables at these limits, you should be completely numb to this type of action.   BTW, didn't Party just change to allow more than 4 tables this weekend?  That's a lot of sessions monday.. :)

Also, consider playing 1/2 for bonus clearing.  More hands are raked.  As long as you can handle the increase in player skill, I think it's a better game to play.

Worst play of the hand:
    Monteroy wrote:

benwin13 has left the table.