Tom Cheek 1939-2005:The Passing of a Legend.

Sad news for Canadian baseball fans.

Tom Cheek, the Toronto Blue Jays announcer who called over 4300 games straight from 1977-2004 has passed away, at the age of 66.

I, like many, many young TBJ fans, grew up listening to Tom(and Jerry Howerth) every summer since I could turn on a radio.

Even when the game was on TV, I would mute the game, and listen to the play-by-play on the radio.

Mr. Cheek, you will be sorely missed, my friend.

JohnnieH

"Touch 'em all Joe! You'll never hit a bigger home run in your life!" - Tom Cheek describing Joe Carter's World Series clinching home run, October 23, 1993.

Comments

• Complete class act, very humble and down to earth person. Had the pleasure to meet him in person a couple of times. He will be missed.
  • I had the pleasure of talking to Tom many times over the past 8 years, in my job at SkyDome/Rogers Centre with mlb.com.

He was certainly one of a kind.

I was fortunate enough to be working the game a few months ago, when he flew up to Toronto, and sat in the private box next to the press box. He came over and sat in the row right behind me for part of the game, and I was able to chat with him for a few minutes.

It's been a tough past few years for the "Blue Jays family". Last year, losing Doug Ault and Bobby Mattick. And, for me, none were as difficult as the loss of John Cerutti, truly one of the nicest men I've ever had the pleasure to meet. John shared the same birthday as my late son Liam, and after hearing that Liam passed away, always made it a point to talk to me, and see how I was doing.

God Bless them all!! Tom now becomes part of the broadcast team of the great baseball games being played in heaven.

macbb
  • RIP Tom, you will truly be remembered as the voice Blue Jay fans hear when dreaming of the glory days for years to come...
  • AAAsWILD wrote:
    RIP Tom, you will truly be remembered as the voice Blue Jay fans hear when dreaming of the glory days for years to come...

So true...

A Skydome wave for Tom...

:wav:
  • As a Big Jays Fan and an insomniac, even as a kid, I can't imagine how many nights I spent listening to Tom Cheek on the radio.
    I used to love the West Coast swings cause i knew I'd have something to listen to later at night.

I was disappointed that Tom Cheek didn't get into the Hall of Fame this past year. It strikes me as being deserved and would have been terrific if done prior to his passing.

Jerry Howarth does a fine job...but, the 9th just isn't the same without Tom Cheek calling it.
  • I think if Tom was calling the games for an American team, he would have been in the hall this year, hands down.

Just a thought here. Does anybody think we can convince Ted Rogers to re-rename the Roger Centre (aka SKYDOME!!!) to The Tom Cheek Memorial Centre?

I believe this would be a very fitting tribute to a man who gave SO much to the city of Toronto, and baseball fans across Canada.

JohnnieH
  • JohnnieH wrote:
    I think if Tom was calling the games for an American team, he would have been in the hall this year, hands down.

Totally agree with that without question.

Edited: Was doing my daily sports surfing and came across www.tributetotom.com Apparently it is a site set up by the Fan590. Just thought I would pass this along.
  • Really glad to see the respect for this man!!!!!!!!!!
    I know I've spent thousands of hours letting his voice and energy tranport me so that I felt I was acually at every game!!
    CHEERS!! TOM YOU WILL BE REMEMBERED!
  • Respect also going out to Al Widmar (pitching coach) who also passed this week!!
  • Sad to here about Al. :'(

Loved it when he walked out to the mound though.
    The relief pitcher could actually start his warm up and finish by the time Al made it to the mound.... :D
  • Sad to hear about Al Widmar also.
    He really brought the Jays pitching staff (Stieb, Key, Clancy, etc) togehter is the early-mid eighties.

I must also say that the Jays 'family' has really had their share of losses in the last year. John Cerutti, Doug Alutt, and of course, Tom Cheek and Al Widmar, all gone.

JohnnieH
  • Voting is underway for the Ford C. Frick award with Tom Cheek on the list. You can vote every day in Novemeber at http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/hofers_and_honorees/frick/index.asp
  • Thanks for the post!!!

Everybody vote for Tom!!
  • I'll be voting everyday.
    Tom was the best.