Poker "Helper" program tells

Hi All:

I am fairly new to online play (been playing real-world for 5 years).

With all these helper programs out there (Calculatem, holdem spy, etc), I was wondering if there any one knows if there is a way that I can as a player tell if someone is using one of these programs. I am very leary of putting my money on the line only to have it taken by some yahoo who wouldn't know a good had if it slapped him in the face.

Are there any sites where they can prevent the use of these programs???

Thx

Hobbes

Comments

• great topic....i'd like to know more about this too....some internet tool to calculate your odds or something.

:c: :d: :rage: :h:
  • There's a page on PokerStars that talks about banned programs.

Check out: http://www.pokerstars.com/prohibited_programs.html
  • On the pokerstars site they mention scanning a players computer for the prohibited programs.

Any tech savvy players here that can explain how they are going to do this? I don't use the programs but am weary about big brother!
  • I would assume they are looking for specific registry settings. It does kinda suck. When you run someone's program it can pretty much do whatever it wants. It can also send info over the internet to anyone it wants. There's a fair bit of trust involved...
  • pkrfce9 wrote:
    I would assume they are looking for specific registry settings. It does kinda suck. When you run someone's program it can pretty much do whatever it wants. It can also send info over the internet to anyone it wants. There's a fair bit of trust involved...

Well the trust is you download their software and install it, you use your credit card (or another form or payment) and forward them money, and then you can request a cash out and hope they send it to you........

So them scanning my computer for illegal programs is the least of my worries ;)
  • Good point. However, these activities are open to public scrutiny and it would quickly become obvious if things were not on the up and up.

But when software is sending info from your hard drive, this is trust on a whole new level. It's nice Stars has a web page about this so at least there is some disclosure but how many people would see this page? I doubt these guys would risk their reputation by doing anything to arouse suspicion but I always wonder if they thought they could get away with something, would they try it? Would a smaller site try to pull a fast one? Could an unscrupulous third party put something in outsourced software? Is there a reputable outside organization that verifies what they are doing? (I would expect so.)
  • I am glad to see that Poker Stars is putting some type of effort into reducing these types of programs.
    My guess is that Party Poker (and the skins) don't put much effort into this as you see the odd advertisment for some of the Poker Stars banned programs.

Time to pack up my meager winnings on PP and move on.

Thx

Hobbes
  • But Party has the all new, lemon-scented anti-bot technology!
  • how does this spyware, etc...program work? does it really give an edge to a player using this type of program? if so, you're probably donating your hard earned cash to these snakes!! i only became aware of these programs from the chat box....how players complain or suspect another player using such programs....it boggled my mind about playing online!!

:c: :d: :rage::s: :h:
  • Most of these programs will calculate the odds of you hitting a certain hand based on your cards and the flop/turn. So the advantage to the user of these is they don't need to acually know how to calculate outs/pot odds etc.

Peronal observation, if you are calling a big bet with a possible straight on the board to your one pair, you are either very loose or using one of these programs :D

I guess they will eventually loose, but it can be frustrating.

Hobbes
  • his program doesn't bother me....its the program which allows players to see other players hole cards! Is this a hoax or does it really exist....if it exists....there's no point playing online unless you don't mind donating your hard earned cash!

:c: :d: :rage::s: :h: