No Limit 2/4 Hand Analysis

Hi all, don't have the hand history. I'm on the button dealt :ks :5s, couple limpers, then MP (seems pretty solid) raises to 8, LP calls, I call (Dumb?) , everyone else folds.

Flop is :5c :5h :as, checks around to me, I bet 4, MP calls, LP folds.

Turn is :kh, MP checks, I bet 12, MP calls. Hmm, warning?

River is :10d, MP checks, I bet 18, MP raises to 48. I ???

Comments

• Is 12 a large bet with a boat?!?! MP might have AK or Ax, but not likely A5, AA maybe.. I would have bet more than the min on the flop, maybe 12 here, if he calls it would have been easier to put him on AA. This would have helped define your hand. I probably would then start jaming the pot once the other K hit. This guy is gonna have to pay to get me off this hand. The 48 is a good bet because you didn't show aggression on the prior streets he thinks you are weak. I hope you called.
  • Fold preflop. Make a slightly larger bet on the flop maybe half the pot or so, and probably half the pot again on the turn. As you played it just call the river and be happy your small betting allowed you to not get broke, looks like he's been trapping since the flop with AA. I don't know why you'd be worried on the turn when he calls you, the only time I'm even a little scared is on the river. Even then I'm rerasing most players but if this guy is actually a solid player his play of this hand screams AA to me.
  • Hi, 2/4 NL is my regular online game so hopefully I can be of some help.

The call preflop is frankly awful. If you're making these calls consistently you're going to bleed away a lot of money.

On the flop, why on Earth are you betting $4 into a $25 pot? This is your dream flop and there's a pretty good chance the raiser has an Ace. Lead out for at least 2/3 the size of the pot (and preferably a bit more). You should probably be willing to get all-in here if it gets to it... if he has AA he probably won't fastplay it.

By the turn, you should be still betting more (at least 2/3 pot) and be happily willing to get all-in with your full house. If he has AA, whatever.

As played, you have a difficult decision on the river. I'd probably make it 120 straight and fold to an all-in.

I don't mean this to be offensive but if you play most of your hands like this on 2/4 NL you're going to get demolished in the long term.

Hope this helps,
    Ryan
  • Thanks for the feedback so far, you're right I don't belong at this limit yet, I think the MP recognized this and saw me as very weak and very scared about my stack, hadn't called much at all after about 2 hrs and folded a few flops I probably shouldn't have....The table however was somewhat loose.

Don't worry about any insults or criticism, that's why I'm posting here... all these comments are going somewhere

I raised to 100, he pushed me all in.(about 410) after an uncharacteristic loooooong wait...

I folded and he turned over AA.

Thanks again for the points, learned quite a few lessons from this thread, despite feeling like a moron.
  • Don't worry about any insults or criticism, that's why I'm posting here...

OMG, someone actually understands forums around here.. Keep that attitude and we'll get along juuuust fine..
    you're right I don't belong at this limit yet

Why are you playing it then? If you don't have a good answer, move down. Learn the basics while risking 10-20 bucks, not 300-500..