An epiphany of sorts...

Just thought I'd share this one...

Played some 5-10 at Brantford on Saturday. Got seated at an unbelievably juicy $5-10 table. This table made a 2-5 game look tight. Averaging like 7 to the flop (and even better, most that saw a flop would play at least till the turn). Often multiway showdowns, just ridiculously loose both pre and post-flop. And rarely a preflop raise to be found. It's all I can do not to laugh every time I see a showdown. Waiting for something, ANYTHING to get involved in this madness (hands like 63s on the button looked extremely tempting).

Anyways, I get dealt JTs UTG and this looks golden to me at this point, I limp, and sure enough 7 or 8 other limpers.

Flop 862 with 2 spades. I remember this flop looking bigger to me than aces or a set at this table. Blinds check, I lead, couple calls, MP raises, 2-3 cold calls, I 3 bet, orignal players cold call 2 more , MP raiser caps, more cold calling 2, I call, everyone calls (I think it was in fact 7 way capped on the flop). Turn is a beautiful 2s (but the board pairing me worries me somewhat in case capper was on 2 pair or a set. I bet, I get 4-5 callers (no raise). I figure I'm good. River is an offsuit rag. I bet and get maybe 3 callers on the river. MHIG. :)

I call this an epiphany of sorts because ages ago I might have thought "I want to draw cheaply", whereas this flop I was thinking "Oh boy, I get to raise for value with my draw with a whole bunch of dead money in this pot".

Man I love Brantford...

P.S. I also love raising UTG, getting the "Wow you haven't played a hand in like an hour!" from the player to my left, of course followed by "I call." :)

Comments

• ScoobyD wrote:
    I call this an epiphany of sorts because ages ago I might have thought "I want to draw cheaply", whereas this flop I was thinking "Oh boy, I get to raise for value with my draw with a whole bunch of dead money in this pot".

take your epiphany one step further and realize all of your hands are draws.  thinking in terms of equity instead of absolute hand values is a huge epiphany. congrats on the monster pot!!
  • take your epiphany one step further and realize all of your hands are draws. thinking in terms of equity instead of absolute hand values is a huge epiphany. congrats on the monster pot!!

Actually I seem to recall someone mentioning thinking of an opponent on a gutshot when you have a set as having a monster 43 out draw...come to think of it I think it was you! :) But I'd venture the whole concept of pot equity vs. hand strength is a 50/50 mix of SSHE and reading this forum...
  • ScoobyD wrote:
    P.S. I also love raising UTG, getting the "Wow you haven't played a hand in like an hour!" from the player to my left, of course followed by "I call." :)
    This is what makes B&M games so beautiful!!