Another tourney hand

$5.50 NL

PokerStars Game #2649041276: Tournament #12672584, Hold'em No Limit - Level VI (100/200) - 2005/09/24 - 10:35:48 (ET)
Table '12672584 12' Seat #1 is the button
Seat 1: BIG J #99 (6435 in chips)
Seat 2: vard0013 (855 in chips)
Seat 3: SirWatts (2785 in chips)
Seat 4: KoOL a (1960 in chips)
Seat 5: blueczar (9890 in chips)
Seat 6: atlvol (4470 in chips)
Seat 7: max0816 (10335 in chips)
Seat 8: nushuz (1820 in chips)
Seat 9: nyckurva (630 in chips)
vard0013: posts small blind 100
SirWatts: posts big blind 200
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to SirWatts [Jd 7c]
nushuz said, "thx"
KoOL a: folds
blueczar: calls 200
atlvol: folds
max0816: folds
nushuz: folds
nyckurva: folds
BIG J #99: calls 200
vard0013: calls 100
SirWatts: checks
*** FLOP *** [9d 5h Jc]
vard0013: checks
SirWatts: checks
blueczar: bets 600
BIG J #99: calls 600
vard0013: folds
SirWatts: ?

Both players are extremely loose/bad. How do we feel about the flop check as well?

Comments

• Fold. Top pair, but you're kicker is kind of weak. Bet is only 3xBB, pretty standard, so I'm guessing villian has top pair as well. Seems to be a kicker contest at the flop. Also, your chip stack isn't that strong against the top stacks at this moment.
  • i agree, kicker problems due to a rainbow and no-staright draw flop. maybe even a small set (555).

:c: :d: :rage::s: :h:
  • I've gotten myself into a lot of trouble in the past seeing free flops from the big blind.  You're playing a hand you don't really WANT to play... that you wouldn't actively TRY to play.  J7o.  Then you hit top pair, and top pair is pretty good, especially against bad opponents. 

A year ago, I'd suggest betting out 600 on the flop.  Now, I say check and fold.  I've lost too many chips playing hands I didn't want to play in the first place.  I think you have to hit the flop a little harder than you did in order to continue with your J7o.  It's not an easy fold, and far from an automatic fold, but I'd probably find it in me to fold in this spot, nonetheless.

With 12 or 13 BB's left in your stack, I think you can wait a little longer for a better opportunity.  Not much longer, mind you, but long enough to lay this hand down.
  • id fold with it coming back to me 600 with a caller.

with a hand like J7, your much happier with a 7 top pair then a J top pair.
  • With a bad kicker hand playing it OOP, if you hit the flop, even likt T73 with J7 or J7 on J63, you'll have to lead out. If you get raised, you can safely fold else you'll probably take down the pot kindly. The original better could have been trying to steal it as well, usually after both blinds check (usually representing nothing or bottom pair) a bet from the first player (hoping the next player missed) will usually take down the pot as well, but since you dont have any info, it could cost you more when you are wrong if he is huge.
  • I was planning to come over the top of the original bettor if it was folded to me but once there was a caller i decided to fold. They ended up showing down A9 and K9 my hand would have been good. I still think I played the hand correctly but figured I'd see what you guys think.
  • On seeing the results of the hand, I would have check-raised all-in. Your hand is desperate for some fold equity.

;)

I would have (checked and) folded. This is a bread 'n' butter play with top pair, bad kicker against 3 opponents.

This is the typical kind of holding with which bad players check-raise, average players bet out, good players check and fold, and world class players check-raise.

ScottyZ