Honestly - this right here was some bad luck...again

I am soooo happy that I am getting all this bad luck out of the way now....check this out.

Bliinds are 50/100 - I have about 1300 in chips - I need to double up - get all in pre flop with 88...here it is:

Seat 1: seacucumber (340)
Seat 3: st0neC0ldNutz (1,310)
Seat 4: Gunslinger1719 (1,210)
Seat 5: LippyLRC (3,135)
Seat 6: soupy drek (4,510)
Seat 7: acedeuce (865)
Seat 9: GNARF (2,130)
soupy drek posts the small blind of 50
acedeuce posts the big blind of 100
The button is in seat #5
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to st0neC0ldNutz [8d 8h]
GNARF folds
seacucumber folds
st0neC0ldNutz raises to 1,310, and is all in
Gunslinger1719 folds
LippyLRC folds
soupy drek calls 1,260
acedeuce folds
st0neC0ldNutz shows [8d 8h]
soupy drek shows [5c 5s]
*** FLOP *** [8s 3d Ad] ---> incase you care, I am over 98% to win at this point

*** TURN *** [8s 3d Ad] [2d]
*** RIVER *** [8s 3d Ad 2d] [4h]
st0neC0ldNutz shows three of a kind, Eights
soupy drek shows a straight, Five high
soupy drek wins the pot (2,720) with a straight, Five high
acedeuce is feeling confused
Gunslinger1719: no way
GNARF: nh
st0neC0ldNutz stands up

ok - flopped flushes into my trips two nights in a row, and tonight (night #3) this happens !!!!

honestly it is so unlucky, but in a strange way it is like you have to be lucky to get this unlucky - or something...???

ha. poker rocks.

Comments

• the other funny thing is the trend.

pocket pairs 66,77,88 go like this

saturday: 66 - flop a set - get all in on TURN - he flopped a flush - I am done

monday: 77 - flop a set - get all in after FLOP - he flopped a flush - I was lucky the river paired the board and I made a boat

tuesday: 88 - flop a set - was all in PRE-FLOP - and he rivers a straight

at this rate my pocket aces (when I flop a set) should be cracked by monday :)

I used to love flopping sets ! Now I am scared sh**less of them.
  • I can't help but think a pre-flop check and a post flop all-in would have won you a bigger pot?
  • Big E wrote:
    I can't help but think a pre-flop check and a post flop all-in would have won you a bigger pot?

Good point, but I was going to be happy just stealing the blinds and hoping to double up vs AJ,AQ,AK or a lower pair...

I did get into the situation I wanted, it just turned out bad. But yes, maybe I should be checking the 88 and seeing a flop?

mid pockets are causing me issues lately.
  • Yeah, tough call, you were ahead pre-flop got drawn out on....I try to see a cheap flop with low-middle pairs, then reap the rewards when you hit trips, fold to a bet if you don't hit on a scary board. I think in this situation a check, then a large bet or all-in likely would have your opponent folding....however you said you wanted to double up...so I read that as you wanted a caller. I'm still not sure all-in is a good move here. All-in pre-flop in this case is asking for a strong hand to call in which case you're a dog to any higher pair and really a coin flip to two over cards. However a call with this flop and anyone playing a higher pair other then AA or any Ax would have likely given you a lot of chips....on the flip side I'm not sure 55 is a good call here either, I think he made a mistake calling but managed to suck out on you....another bad beat and likely had you called and bet all the way down he would have stayed with you and crippled you in this situation anyways. Just my two cents.
  • Big E wrote:
    Just my two cents.

Thanks, I appreciate your comments.
  • Just a thought,

The guy who called you had significant chips and could afford taking the hit to his stack if he thought you were making an AK, AQ, AJ move. Just like you said you would have liked to see your 88 against something like that (I WOULDN'T .. I only want 2-9 off to call me :D). This guy was probably thinking the same. I think his call was very loose but a gamble he was willing to take to knock you out and fortify his chips.

Again ... LET ME STRESS ... I am far from a Pro.

Just my two cents. Let me know what you guys think.
  • Personally i would play the whole hand a little different. I'm not going to risk everything with this hand. Depending on how tight/loose my opponents are on my left I will play different with this stack size. If I have tight opponents on my left I know that im going to pick up some more blinds within a couple rounds if its folded to me, so the pressure of being blinded out is not quite their yet. The chips I have are VERY valuble to me know, If I push chances are I'm in a race or terribly behind, I would raise to 350 and see a flop or hopefully take it down. If im reraised allin I fold.
    If I have loose opponents behind me in the blinds I probabbly just limp and hope to see a cheap flop (I want to save my chips as much as possible) if its raised depending on the amount I will fold.
    This is all relative to your current position....of course in a later position I will be more aggresive.

Wader