Bristol St. Classic XIX - RESULTS!!!

Bristol Street XIX brought 32 players competing for a prize pool of $540 as well as the right to be called "Bristol Street XIX Champion". Would the hot streaks of Tyson, Tye and Trevor (Bristol Street XVIII Champ) continue! Or would this bring and end to the final table domination of these three players. For one player, that domination would continue.

And how would this tournament affect the Player of the Year totals? With the Bristol Street 2005 Championship a few months away, players are jockying for those last few available spots.

This tournament was the second to use the new 2,500 chip count/ante structure and it seemed to work well again. In 5 hours an 20 minutes, a Champion was crowned. With "ItsaMe" Mario busting out in 9th place, the seats were redrawn and the final table was formed...

FINAL TABLE

Seat 1: "TNORTH" Tom N ($9,100)
Seat 2: "Redington" Tyson ($36,200)
Seat 3: Mandy ($31,000)
Seat 4: "Slug" Jamal ($18,200)
Seat 5: "Zithal" Rob L ($5,000)
Seat 6: "westside8" Wesley ($19,700)
Seat 7: JohnnieH ($10,300)
Seat 8: "Brava" Dave S. ($4,400)

8th PLACE : "Zithal" Rob L.

The final table started with 2 minutes left in the 600-1,200(200) level and "Brava" quickly doubled up off of Tyson, leaving our intrepid host as the short stack. The blinds rose to 800-1,600(200) and Rob pushed all-in for his final 4,400 with AJo, getting called by Tyson holding. Rob was one of the few unlucky players who didn't get a chance to double up off of Tyson, as the board helped no one, and Rob (making his first final table since Bristol Street XIV) was out in 8th. This was Zithal's 4th final table of 2005.

7th PLACE : Johnnie H.

Tyson, the agressor at the final table, raised it to 00ish UTG and JohnnieH raised all-in for an additional 1,500ish. Tyson called turning over KQ to Johnnie's AJ. A Q on the turn ended Johnnie's first final table of 2005.

6th PLACE : "Brava" Dave S. (BUBBLE-BOY!)

It was now time to crown the BSC XIX Bubble Boy and Brava bravely stepped up to the tack. With just shy of $10,000 in his stack, Brava pushed with A3 and was called by Tyson's KK. No help sent Brava home in 6th place, also ending Brava's first final table of 2005.

5th PLACE : Jamal ($27)

In his second Bristol Street Classic, Jamal make a daring play/bluff at a massive pot earlier, getting called by Tyson, but hitting a runner-runner straight to make him the new chip leader at the table. (I'll leave it to others to document this hand)

Tyson had worked his way back to challenge Jamal for chip lead and going into this hand, the two of them were neck and neck in chip counts. With the blinds still at 800-1,600, Tyson raises 3,000 which is then re-raised another 3,000 by Jamal. Tysons re-reraises another 10,000 and jamal moves all-in which is called. Jamal turns over JJ, but Tyson takes the commanding lead in the hand as he shows QQ. The board helps no-one and Tyson grabs a MASSIVE stack, sending Jamal out in 5th.

4th PLACE : "westside8" Wesley ($54)

In his first Bristol Street, Wesley makes an ill-timed bluff in the very next hand and gets caught with his hand in the cookie jar. Wes attempted to steal with 96o, but was called by Tom with AT, putting Wes out in 4th.

3rd PLACE : Mandy ($81)

In the pre-final table action, Mandy caught no less than 3 bullets (or was it 4) and pushed around the other players to arrive at the final table with a very healthy chip stack. It was at this point that Mandy decided to go hand-dead at the final table, and frustrated with her lack of cards, pushed all-in on a bluff with J8c. Unforuntately, Tyson woke up with QQ and sealed Mandy's fate. This was Mandy's second appearance at Bristol Street so congrats on a well-played tournament!

HEADS-UP!!

The stage was set for heads up action. Tyson, at his 5th Final Table, the current Player of the Year leader and with a 3-1 chip lead, faced Tom in his first Bristol Street. It was David v. Goliath.

"Redington" Tyson J. - $96,500
"TNORTH" Tom - $38,500

Instead of a using a sling to take the giant down, Tom was handed a steady stream of pocket pairs. One hand after another, Tom found himself in all-in situations with a pocket pair, using it to hack away at Tyson's chip lead.

Eventually, the players found themselves all-in with another Tom pocket pair, 88 versus Tyson's 9T. With the board not being kind to Tyson, Tom took the pot, first place, $243 and the title of Bristol Street XIX Champion!

Tyson ended the day in second place, recieving $135 for his troubles. This tournament marked Tyson's third Final Table in a row where he's placed 3rd, 2nd, and 2nd. Will anyone be able to catch him in his quest for the Title of "Player of the Year"??

Please feel free to add your own personl report to this thread!

Comments

• OFFICAL RESULTS

1st - "TNORTH" Tom N. ($243) - 12:21am
    2nd - "Redington" Tyson J. ($135)
    3rd - Mandy ($81) - 12:05am
    4th - "westside8" Wesley ($54) - 11:56pm
    5th - Jamal ($27) - 11:55pm
    6th - "Brava" Dave S. - 11:32pm
    7th - "JohnnieH" Johnnie H. - 11:27pm
    8th - "Zithal" Rob L. - 11:22pm
    9th - "ItsaMe" Mario - 11:07pm
    10th - "Morty" Sean - 10:58pm
    11th - "Moose" Rob S. - 10:56pm
    12th - Kory M - 10:54pm
    13th - Larry L. - 10:48pm
    14th - "The Prophet" Brent - 10:42pm
    15th - "Ionstorm" Ian - 10:07pm
    16th - Cam - 10:01pm
    17th - "beanie42" Trevor - 9:57pm
    18th - "Big E" Eric - 9:56pm
    19th - "2Bullets" Jeremy - 9:54pm
    20th - "Fallen Angel" Gow - 9:33pm
    21st - "8Ball" Tye Z. - 9:26pm
    22nd - "Slippery" Pete A. - 9:22pm
    23rd - "Shtebs" Steve S. - 9:17pm
    24th - Ian R. - 9:12pm
    25th - "diddy" Paul S. - 9:10pm
    26th - "g2" Greg T. - 9:09pm
    27th - "Wolfhound" Dave W. - 9:00pm
    28th - "King Mob" Dave - 8:56pm
    29th - "Devil" Dave S - 8:47pm
    30th - "Bluffy" Jeff - 8:44pm
    31st - "Dirty Whore" Mark B. - 8:08pm
    32nd - Nicole - 8:00pm
  • Top 20 Point Leaders.

With this month, Tyson has all but cemented his place at the top of the heap. There are still a number of people that can challenge him, but that lead is looking BIG!!!

Mario made a nice jump this month, moving into the #2 spot, "beanie42" vaults into the Top 10, and "Zithal" also moves up a few spaces, and heads back into the Top 10. "Brava" and Johnnie H also make a nice showing here (the best, so far, this year for both) and land in the Top 20.

1. "Redington" Tyson J. - 107
    2. "ItsaMe" Mario - 90
    3. Kevin F. - 89
    4. "Shopsy" Jeff S. - 87
    5. "Slippery" Pete A. - 86
    6. "8Ball" Tye Z. - 85
    7. "beanie" Trevor - 84
    8. "Zithal" Rob L. - 83
    9. "Lamb Of" Johnny A. - 79
    10. "Dirty Whore" Mark B. - 79
    11. "Oragami" Jonathan C. - 75
    12. "Brava" Dave Sel. - 73
    13. "Ineedanick" Dave P. - 69
    14. "Skittlepoker" Bill S. - 65
    15. Johnnie H. - 65
    16. "batmankw" David Sin. - 64
    17. "Wolfhound" Dave - 63
    18. "Comic Book" Dave - 61
    19. "Flint Bones" Andrew - 59
    20. "Ionstorm" Ian. - 59
  • My report is none too exciting, I spent most of the tournament as a short-stack and got lucky on a few double-ups and stole enough blinds to get me to the final table.

I started off, losing a little ground, then got a good portion of my stack in with JJ v. "g2"'s AJ (The dreaded match-up which crippled me at Trevor's first tourney)

By the turn g2 picked up a Flush Draw and the ugly, ugly, Ace came on the River. At that point I was a low stack and pretty much looking to re-buy.

I got one double-up and found myself with 1,300 chips with a few minutes left in the final re-buy level.

So, the plan was to get to 500, then rebuy to put myself at a healthy 3,000 going into the rest of the tournament. So do this I needed to shave 800 chips off my stack with the blinds at 100-200. I decided that I could burn it off with a raise-fold to 3x the big blind (600), followed by a smooth call for 200. Cam put these plans in jeopardy as he continually raised pre-flop ahead of me.

With only 3 or 4 hands left, Ian R., sitting UTG raises to 600. Nice! I look down at my monster hand T5 and call. No one else does and it's just us two to the flop... T75.

Boy, do I feel dirty. I feel even more dirty when Ian (acting first) pushes all-in. I apologize, then call, and Ian turns over QQ. No Q and the Board doesn't pair and I hit 2,600 going into the end of the re-buy period.

Nothing much else happens after the break and I slowly see my stack dwindling. Part way through, Table 2 is missing an extra person and I'm the lucky one to move there, and proceed to go card dead.

A key hand occurs with King Mob dealing. First card comes around and mine catches the wind of a fan and is exposed, the 4h. Dave continues to deal and I get the burn card with the 4 replacing it. I check my whole cards... AKd. Thank you mister fan.

The flop comes Ace high and my internal random generator says it's time to slow play against my only caller, Wolfhound, and I check the flop. He has none of my slowplaying and lays down to my eventual bet.

My stack grows a bit more and I dangerously slow-play two pair. Luckily it allows one opponent to catch up and I make a little cash off him.

I give a bunch of it away to Mandy after a three heart flop comes and, by the time the river hits with the 4th heart, I have the third best flush. I pay to confirm that which was painfully obvious, Mandy had the nut flush... off the flop. Expensive, but good info gained there.

The rest of my time was spent avoiding the massive stacks and stealing a couple pots to remain alive. My JJ loss finally avenged itself, when Larry raised all-in and I called with JJ. I was completely expected AJ, but was more happy to see 44!! this brought me to about 8,000 and gave me the ammo needed to make the final table.

The final table I played a grand total of two hands, pushing my stack in with AJo UTG, getting called by Tyson's 77 and no help knocked me out of the tournament.
  • Rob - love the commentary

Would you mind a very brief overview of the points system ?

Thanks, TNORTH
  • Rob,

You eased a bit of my pain when you said you had AKd in that hand...

I hated the way I played that as afterwards I was certain you were stealing, but, sounds like I would have gone broke with my pocket 10's had I come over the top.

Dave
  • Another Great Tourney;

Sitting down at my table I cant tell you how excited I was to see Zithal (solid), Blazin72 (aggressive/solid), G2 (tight/aggressive) and Johnny (tight) at this table.... ughhhhh

In typicall fashion, I wanted to set a tone that went with my crazy/maniac image, all in first couple of hands with at least 2-1 and a 4-1 dog accomplished that. I figured I might as well get my rebuys out of the way so I would make sure that I played 'good' poker from that point on.

I felt sorry for the people at our table, as Blazin and I had 'who's dick is bigger' attitudes and made it difficult for anyone to get into a pot with out alot of commitment in chips.

For example; third hand in. had 2900 chips in the middle (starting stacks 2500) which was picked up by middle pair. The pot didn't grow from preflop action, that was raised-reraised, called - bet, reraise call action right to the river with KJ585 and I'm pretty sure it was 8's that took this hand down. Uggghh

I didn't have very many cards early and when I did get a hand I made a mistake letting people chase cheeply twice, I didn't play that well and frankly got lucky to make it through the middle rounds scrapping hands and pots here and there.

This was the key pot in the tourney for me

First or second hand at the final table after collapsing, utg calls - mp calls - button +1 calls, Blinds are at 600-1200 200ante, pot is 7000, In the SB I see :ad :kd - I have no info on the UTG but he has about 1/2 the chips I do... so lets see what he will do.
    I raise to 5200, BB surprisingly calls (I wasn't expecting that( oh oh) , then the UTG goes all in for another 19k ---- damn he has me beat, but I half expected that move, everyone else folds to me

Pot is giving me 2-1 , unless he has Aces or Kings Im in OK shape.... I thought about this one for a while. I had NO read on the player. I had it pretty good that BB was going to fold
    but wanted to know what was going on with the UTG.... then I got something, I had asked a couple of things and something told me I as in good shape.

I called and he turned of QJo..... then rivered a miracle straight to double up off me.

The best part about this is I didn't care. Oh well he got lucky, I made the right move had the right read and he got lucky and It didn't bother me...
    I had a couple bad beats earlier (where I got outrunned) and was surprised by my control.
    I really didn't care, I knew I was making the right decisions and I was comforted in that.
    ---- This may not sound that important but I was quickly able to rebuild my stack and pick spots where I was good to go, if I had tilted I don't think I would have been able to make alot of the moves I did

Funny the key pot was one I lost.... but it is the one I remember...

I do think I have a curse, I am not meant to win Bristol as the deck completely ran over me. To go in with a 3-1 chips lead and just get beat on the way I did... something says it wasn't meant to be.
    Maybe next time
  • Another great time Rob, thanks for throwing another great tourney. Hopefully I'll get a chance to actually play at a table with you for more than a few hands sometime :) Congrats on the win Tom! You're obviously enjoying playing in Waterloo now :) And Tyson, no offense, but I'm having trouble feeling your pain. I hope I get to the point where I'm annoyed with constantly finishing second!
  • beanie42 wrote:
    Another great time Rob, thanks for throwing another great tourney. Hopefully I'll get a chance to actually play at a table with you for more than a few hands sometime :) Congrats on the win Tom! You're obviously enjoying playing in Waterloo now :) And Tyson, no offense, but I'm having trouble feeling your pain. I hope I get to the point where I'm annoyed with constantly finishing second!
    lol, I have to agree.

Tip of the ole' hat to Rob for hosting another fun tournament.

Congrats to Tom(who didn't show up for tonight's Softball game!! :rage:) on the win, and to Tyson for another great finish. Good luck on Saturday, I'm sure you'll do well.

JohnnieH
  • I'm so sad i couldnt play, i work so much now.

You guys better be scared, i'm not dead or fallen off the face of the earth, i just havent had the time.

I miss all you guys alot, and i wanna get back on my game in the worst way

see you guys soon,

Johnny
  • Once again, thanks Rob for hosting. It was an awesome night. Busted out on a stupid play with 69o. I guess I could've possibly picked a better spot to try to steal the blinds and antes given the fact I'll be on the button the next hand and blinds/antes going up.

Regardless, it was a fun night.
  • The points thing is really simple this year and completely unfair for the smaller tournaments. I'm going to get a better system for next year.

Anyway the jist is that 1st gets points = to the number of peope playing, 2nd gets one less than that and so on, down to last who gets 1 point. You're score is the sum of your 4 best finishes.

The big problem is that getting 1st in a 24 player tournament is worth less points that making the final table at a 32 player table. I'll fix it for next year by giving out more points for the top finishers of each tournament.

BTW, thanks for all the kind words. I know it gets a little warm in the summer, but it's still a blast. The reason I find it fun is because there's a lot of great guys playing poker. Hopefully it won't be too long til the next one!!
  • Hey Rob,

Don't make any apologizes for the point system being the way it is...since you made that initial post indicating that there even was a point system...you can hear people playing talking about points etc...showing up to get rid of their "6" that's still counting for them (like me) etc.

Its added to the fun of Bristol, which was already at the high end the scale.

Dave
  • Wolffhound wrote:
    Its added to the fun of Bristol, which was already at the high end the scale.
    I totally agree. The last Bristol was my fourth, so now I have to try to knock off a couple scores to move up. It does add a "league" feel to the already fun tourneys.