Underground Risks?

Way back when - the underground poker rooms had to not only worry about getting caught by the cops - but more so of getting jacked by a couple of guys with guns. Cant really report it - illegal activity. Just have to swallow the losses I guess. Or hire security? Or..?

There are so many undergrounds now - however I havent heard of anyone getting jacked. Cops maybe once in awhile here and there - but I havent heard of anyone getting hit and money stolen?

Anyone hear of anyone getting hit? Or can anyone come up with a reason why places arent getting hit often anymore?

Do you think that its because most undergrounds are sorta small? ie in terms of limits played? or tourneys? Does the risk increase with the limits/bankroll in the area?

Comments

• I would say another reason you don't hear about that too much anymore is because a few that I know are uhm... "connected". They don't report that they got jacked because it's bad for business and because then they'll be implicated when the guys with guns are found with bullets.
  • hey guys,

looking to play live in the GTA. i'd like to try the clubs out.

PM me with details please.

Thanks
  • Try looking in the home games section for clubs, Forest Hill and The Unit are in TO, you might try there
  • hey guys,

Thanks

How does a thread about underground risk get a post asking where these games underground are located?
  • BigChrisEl wrote:
    hey guys,

Thanks

How does a thread about underground risk get a post asking where these games underground are located?

A guess.

Someone looking for an undergound club game in the GTA tries a forum search for "underground clubs". The most relevant hit is specific to Windsor, so he moves on to the next most relevant thread, which is this one, and posts a reply to it without looking too closely at the previous posts in the thread.

A second guess.

He wants to knock over some underground poker clubs in the GTA.

ScottyZ
  • well
    Like they used to say about the game I used to run in Winnipeg, where knockoffs were more likely. If anyone does rob it, they better hope the cops find them before we do.
  • The biggest risk in playing in illegal games is the huge amount of cheating going on. Newly-recruited suckers keep losing their money in these fixed games, yet they keep going back to lose more money!

Most poker players don't know how to spot palming, marked cards, second deals, shifting the cut, bottom deals, false shuffles, false cuts, stacking the deck, steer joints, signaling, nailing, etc., etc. :'(
  • Bottom line ... seriously ...If I get pinched by the fuzz playing in a game and they determinie its a cash game w/ rake ... yadda yadda yadda.

WHAT HAPPENS ... AS A PLAYER ... do I get a fine? do they take my moola? does this go on the record???

I have seen posts about this stuff and people quote the frreaking entire criminal code of Canada.

Has anyone been nailed? What happened? How did it go down?

What fun stuff do the police do when they are "breakin you down"?

Just curious.

I think answering this post will answer a lot of the vague questions and answers we have seen.
  • I have seen posts about this stuff and people quote the frreaking entire criminal code of Canada.

What kind of a wacko would recommend looking at the Criminal Code to figure out what sorts of things are illegal in Canada? :cool:

It actually is a good question (and not so easy to find a solid answer to) what penalites would be typically applied to those found guilty of being a common gaming house found in, resulting in a so called "summary conviction".

See this post for more information

http://www.pokerforum.ca/forum/index.php?topic=2824.msg23557#msg23557

although it may qualify as quoting the frreaking entire criminal code of Canada. ;)

ScottyZ

P.S. If you ever find yourself being pinched by fuzz, it may be simply due to the fact that your undies are old, worn, and balling up into fuzzballs. Get out there and pick up some new gitch.
  • ScottyZ wrote:

P.S. If you ever find yourself being pinched by fuzz, it may be simply due to the fact that your undies are old, worn, and balling up into fuzzballs. Get out there and pick up some new gitch.

BA-ZING!!!!!!!!

NUK NUK NUK!!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I will be sure to brush up on my leagaleese.

In the mean time ... anyone have any stories about this stuff.
  • In the mean time ... anyone have any stories about this stuff.

Link to first hand story
  • I have never been pinched in an underground poker game... but have been "found out" in black jack and craps games. The usual routine is to charge everyone then try and cop a deal with the operators. Plead guilty and all your players walk. Probably the same with poker but I think the "morality squad" has more important things to think of than card games.... After all they'll get you with your winnings when you hit the massage parlour for a little "relaxation" ..... :D
  • I've heard of underground places getting busted, but usually the cops can't really do anything cause there's no money on the table only chips.
  • point one - as for the poster implying that all private games are full of cheaters and con artists?? Either you have found some strange games or been watching rounders too long. Most private games I know use house dealers who like the houseman only benefit from the game continuing and live and die by their reputation for honesty and a clean game. If you are playing in games where the players deal themselves and you do have cheaters, well then shame on you for not exposing them and protecting everyone.

point two - for the poster who said that chips on the table instead of cash make a differnce --- they don't. Virtually all private games and clubs use chips but in a bust they represent money, however large or small and are treated as such. The busters will however try to find the "bank" to use in court and to prove who is running the game.
  • This only happened to me once, so I can't say that it is true of many or all underground games.

I both stubbed my toe (was wearing flip flops) and got a splinter on a door frame.

Carpe Diem :ah :ac :ad :as :fish: