Degree Poker Championship

Starts airing this week.

Taken from TSN site-

TSN will televise the tournament in High Definition nationally, airing six one-hour prime time broadcasts beginning with a two hour special on September 15. Subsequent broadcasts will be September 16, September 23 and culminating with a two hour show on September 24, when a champion will be crowned.

The forums Ionstorm had a good run in this.

Comments

• Thanx for posting this Wolffhound.

I have been told that my episode will air on Thursday September 15th at 9:00 pm eastern.

For those from that forum that dont know me, My name is Ian and I will be sitting in the 4 seat.

Hopefully I didnt make myself look to bad on TV.  :fish:
  • My wife dealt in this tourney...she is very excited to see herself on TV. Hopefully TSN presents a well packaged product that can compete with the WPT's, EPT's and Celebrity Poker shows....and something that looks and feels a little more exciting than the Canadian Poker we've been seeing on the Score!
  • Cool, maybe they'll show a wide shot of the crowd from early in the tournament.
    Then you can see me walking my dumb ass out of the tourny :)
  • Really looking forward to this, got my VCR set.

I watched some of the Eurpoean Poker Tour on Score, and that was quite poor relative to the WPT IMO. The thing about the EPT that really ticked me off was you didn't see a lot of the hands folded, and the commentary was so inconsistently involved. I really love the WPT because I really enjoy Sexton and Patten (Patten's lines just make me crack up amidst the most tense moments), and the show is totally focused on the poker being played. That's what I get from it, anyway.

Can't wait to watch Degree tomorrow though!
  • I am also really wondering how the broadcast of this will be, I am hoping it is well done, and expect TSN/degree to do nothing less.

They will be condensing down 4-5 hours of poker, as well as pre and exit interviews into a 1 hour episode though.
  • i bet there are going to be some horrible players - celebrity poker-esque
  • Everyone playing this was basically all amatuers and part time players, there was a couple guys that play on the CPT regularily, thats about all.

The play early on in the 250 person fields was quite weak, but as they filtered down to 80, then to 23 and combined with the 22 from out west the play became better, but as I said almost all amateurs.
  • I wonder how they radomly picked players by the internet registration, I know about 25 people who tried to get in, and not one was picked. but then again maybe more than 100,000 people registered....hahaha! Is there gonna be another event like this one again?

:d: :rage::s: :h:
  • I saw most of this yesterday and one guy, last name "Baker" folded a straight, I believed he had 9 10 and the board had 6,7,8,9,X...the 6 was the river giving him the 2nd nut...obviously J,10 beats him. No flush on board. His opponent (who won ended up winning that playoff) makes a bet of 3000 into the pot and Baker folds saying "I think you rivered me".....okay??? I am confused..the 6 wouldn't have beat your straight?, what baffles me the announcers Lansberg (who I don't expect to say really anything since he is not an expert) and some other dude (who apparently is an expert) didn't seem baffled by that. Lets get Devin, or Dave S...anybody on this forum to do the play by play. I love Cdn TV but these announcers were dry with no real poker insight.
  • Haven't seen what you are talking about...but a 6 on the river fills up a made set. Therefore, Baker would be putting the opponent on a rivered boat...chances are slim but not impossible.
  • I am pretty sure there was no pair on the board...I think Baker forgot his hand rankings
  • TSN replayed the show today.  Peter Baker is a great reminder of the many mistakes that amateurs like me make.  He only had a 10 9 offsuit and put in a silly raise against Q Q and A K. :D.  The community cards were 9 2 8 7 with three spades for a potential flush and straight.  The river was a 6, making Baker the dream straight.

Jonathan Yeomans wearing a "I Am A Jedi Master" shirt was extremely aggressive and went all in with only a pair despite the possible straight (10 or 5) and flush.  Baker rivered Jedi but instead said "I think I got rivered."  The Jedi must have put a mind trick on Baker, who either didn't know he had a straight or was 100% sure that Jedi had a flush or a J 10.

Unfortunately, TSN was incompetent as usual in explaining to the viewers what was going on. :'(  TSN also stupidly does not show the probability of a tie, so a dominant hand is sometimes shown as barely over 50%.
  • That hand was by far the funniest I have seen in awhile. I think I was rivered?? Lol! Anyone else notice the "poker Expert" TSN uses is practically useless. Getting anything out of him is like pulling teeth.
  • I think the useless "expert's" name is Alistair Cameron.  I don't remember TSN mentioning his credentials because he probably doesn't have any. :D TSN should have done everything to get Daniel Negreanu to do the commentary. :'(
  • So...I just watched (8:00pm EDT on TSN, Friday, September 23rd, 2005) on the TSN DEGREE Poker Championship where these stats were shown pre-flop:

:kd :9h  78%
    :ac :5d  22%

Methinks the Ace is ahead 58.8 vs 41.2.

What is TSN doing??? And the commentators both agree that the King (Madonna!?!) is waaay ahead.

OUT
  • I noticed that too. My first thought was: "Did I miss the flop or something?" I can only guess that they recorded this commentary AFTER the K5x flop when I believe the K9 is then around the favorite suggested, but then somehow in the editing they inserted this footage prior to the flop. Somebody should be fired for this one. And man Landsberg sucks (almost as bad as the players).
  • What the hell was that K3o vs. 83o hand? Flop hits neither (J high). 83 bluffs at pot, K3 reraises allin on a bluff. 83 not to be outdone calls. Then the announcers go off on some crack-smoking exhibition about the 83o hand not wanting to see a 3 (because somehow that destroys his hand). Is it just me or does he only want to see an 8 at that point and worst card is a K? Sure enough 3 comes on turn and the announcers go crazy like someone just hit a one outer! Newsflash donkey announcers: NOTHING HAS CHANGED (but only one card to come). What a bunch of no-talent ass clowns!
  • Isn't the bigger question - Why did that idiot call? Exactly what kind of hand could he beat at that point?
  • Somebody should be fired for this one

LoL.. You never make mistakes on your job?
  • LoL.. You never make mistakes on your job?

Pfft, never! Well at least none that make national television... :)