Was I asking for Trouble???

Four handed 1/2 No-Limit on UB.

Nothing major ... just frustrated ... was there any way to get away fom this???

I am in the BB with KK

UTG raises to $6
UTG+1 Calls
SB - Rases to $25

I had $45 left ... I go all in and everyone calls.

UTG shows 6-6
UTG + 1 Shows 9-9
SB shows A-J

Ace on the flop smokes everyone.

Was this the right move??? I am almost certain it was.

Do I just chalk this up to Expensive Poker Lessons. If that is the case, how do I play this differently?

Comments

• Rather than moving all-in, you could have made it $44 to go.

ScottyZ
  • LOL :D....You got in as a favorite, what else can you ask for. Basically you are scared of one hand. I like your chances
  • UTG raises to $6
    UTG+1 Calls
    SB - Rases to $25

I had $45 left ... I go all in and everyone calls.

You need to make sure you have at least the table max buy-in sitting in front of you! You have $45 at a $1/$2 NL table...you are asking to go broke. For another $20 the SB should almost never fold in here since they are getting odds to call with almost any two cards.
  • Shook wrote:
    , how do I play this differently?

you don't. Right move, bad flop. It happens
  • Are you asking if you should be folding KK preflop?
  • Shook wrote:
    Four handed 1/2 No-Limit on UB.

Nothing major ... just frustrated ... was there any way to get away fom this???

I am in the BB with KK

Only one way to "get away from this"...sell your computer and quit playing.
  • Nothing you can do about that, it's just a bad beat...

The only thing you can do in that situation is cross your fingers and hope an ace doesn't fall... and if it does, then you start praying for another king.

This reminds me of a hand I had the other day... AJo, A and two low cards on the flop, I go all-in and get called with pocket kings... but of course, he hit another K on the turn. The one card he should be running from hits on the flop, and he still calls an all-in... so ya see, you're never dead with KK :P
  • Soup wrote:
    Are you asking if you should be folding KK preflop?

Is folding KK unheard of?

I have done it in tournaments before. Maybe I am too passive, but I have some of the worst luck in the world.

Last night my AA got burned by KK in a similar situation.

I think its just a matter of me coming to grips with the fact that I am just not that good.

Thanks for the input guys.

UB'ed again!
  • Shook wrote:

Is folding KK unheard of?

I have done it in tournaments before.  Maybe I am too passive, but I have some of the worst luck in the world.

Last night my AA got burned by KK in a similar situation.

I think its just a matter of me coming to grips with the fact that I am just not that good.

Thanks for the input guys.

UB'ed again!

Well I was playing a SnG, first hand was dealt KK, I was mid to late, lots of callers in front of me, so I raised a large raise (didn't want any one playing Ace, Rag to catch an ace and the pot was large enough that I thought I should try to take it right there) then the Button goes all-in. The blinds fold and two of the earlier callers call the all-in.

So with KK I figured there was enough money in the pot if my Kings hold up I'm good for the game.

The cards flip and the first all-in has AA, one of the others has AJ suited and the thirds has a mid-pair.

Of course I get no help on the flop and Aces take it.

There was only one hand that could beat me (pre-flop) and the one guy had it.

I moved on and played another SnG were I took first so I didn't feel so bad
  • I think its just a matter of me coming to grips with the fact that I am just not that good.

While I agree that you probably aren't that good (If only because you really do seem to believe that your play was wrong) you got all your money in with a huge edge. Thats all you can ask for in poker.

Quit beating yourself up. You don't win every pot.
  • BBC Z wrote:
    While I agree that you probably aren't that good (If only because you really do seem to believe that your play was wrong) you got all your money in with a huge edge. Thats all you can ask for in poker.

Sometimes the cards just fall in favor of the other player and there's nothing you can do about it, and it doesn't make you a 'bad' player... it's just a bad beat.

Here's a scenario for you...

I was in a 25k tournament a few months ago, and I was in 22nd place with 1st-20th paying out (I was in last place at the time and the blinds were starting to chip away at my stack).

At first my thought was to just hold out for the money spots, hoping some of the big stacks would tangle with each other, but if a good hand came along I would have no choice but to play it... with the way the other players were going at each other I think I could have easily held out for a money spot (after all I only had to move up 2 more spots), but if you want any chance of winning the whole thing you have to take some risks.

So, I'm dealt KK and figure this is it... I'm either going out on the bubble or doubling up.  I quickly go all-in and have one caller behind me.

The guy flips over Q7o, which delighted me to say the least.  The flop comes down, no help for him... at this point I figure I'm set, as he'd need runner runner to beat me (there were no possible straight or flush draws).

So, what comes on the turn and river?  QQ, giving him trip queens and knocking me out of the tournament.

Do I regret the play I made?  Nope!  Was it the right move given the circumstances?  Yep!  Did it sting? Of course! But there's just nothing you can do about a bad beat, they happen to everyone at some point or another (and many, many times if you play a lot of poker).  If bad beats eat at you for a long time, it might be a sign that continuing your poker career will only end up giving you ulcers :P

If you start second guessing putting all your chips in with KK (literally the 2nd best hand you can be dealt), then maybe you need to play more.... A LOT more, and you'll notice that bad beats like that do happen.

That's poker... love it or leave it!
  • Thanks for the Pep talk guys.

I am learning that Murphy's Law certainly applies to Poker.

I was just growing accustomed to taking the bad beat, and thinking all of the math, reasoning and deception was useless.

I guess I am just on a down swing, a friend of mine pointed out that if I keep playing the hands I am supposed to I will balance in the long run.

I hope my bankroll can sustain the damange.

Thanks again.

FAITH RESTORED

uh. ... UB'ed AGAIN.