Playing the blinds in low limit hold-em

New to the forum... been playing Party Poker 1-2$ or 2-4$ limit hold-em for 6 months.

I try to play a reasonably tight list of opening hands but then seem to lose most of my chips playing the blinds. I get stuck in hands I wouldn't normally play with middle pairs, top pairs with bad kickers, low flush draws etc. Seeing these hands out to the river then costs a bunch of chips and only occasionally pays off.

Any advice for playing the blinds would be appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Don't feel bad about folding blinds. It's alot cheaper then chasing a hand and not getting it.
  • Read Small Stakes Holdem.
    Don't feel bad about folding blinds. It's alot cheaper then chasing a hand and not getting it.

C'mon..
  • I analyzed my play and found I was losing a lot defending blinds. I believe I was defending the wrong hands. In my opinion (a bit new), you should normally only defend if you have a good read (that the other guy is on a steal) or you have hands you would normally play in your "loosest" position (usually the button). If you have a garbage hand you would never consider playing, don't throw your money away.
    BBC Z wrote:
    Don't feel bad about folding blinds. It's alot cheaper then chasing a hand and not getting it.
    C'mon..
    As my comments above indicate, I agree with Polarice. BBC's comment provides too many details and helpful suggestions for me to follow.
  • If there is a good read that the player is trying to steal, sometimes what I do is I would reraise.

Any thoughts?
  • westside8 wrote:
    If there is a good read that the player is trying to steal, sometimes what I do is I would reraise.

Any thoughts?

it really depends on the player your dealing with. if hes the type that will fold on the flop after being 3bet when he misses, then that certainly is a good line to take.

just because your reading him for a steal doesnt mean hes liable to give up easily in the face of agression.
  • BBC's comment provides too many details and helpful suggestions for me to follow.

I don't feel the need to constantly re-iterate the same points everytime the same topic comes up likes others on the forum. It's left as an exercise to the reader to figure out why the statements are wrong, but I'll give you a hint.
    middle pairs, top pairs with bad kickers, low flush draws etc. Seeing these hands out to the river

Aren't much of a problem as long as you respect the players types you are up against. It's likely you are playing these marginal hands too passively.
    you have hands you would normally play in your "loosest" position (usually the button)

I get a chuckle from this one because your loosest position is the SB.
  • BBC Z wrote:
    you have hands you would normally play in your "loosest" position (usually the button)

Are you saying you should have tighter starting hand requirements on the button, where you are last to act post-flop, and looser in the SB where you are first to act?  If so, why, since this seems to run opposite everything I've read?
  • beanie42 wrote:
    BBC Z wrote:

Are you saying you should have tighter starting hand requirements on the button, where you are last to act post-flop, and looser in the SB where you are first to act?

In the games I play in, the Small Blind (or SB) has to put a small amount of money into the pot blindly.

By doing that, it increases the range of hands you play since it costs you less to act.
    If so, why, since this seems to run opposite everything I've read?

No comment.

• In the games I play in, the Small Blind (or SB) has to put a small amount of money into the pot blindly.

By doing that, it increases the range of hands you play since it costs you less to act.
    There is a hand quiz in SSHE that discusses this idea. I am going by memory , so I will do my best.

Lets use an hand example of 7-3 suited with 3 loose and passive players limping in. While likely unprofitable outside of the blinds, it can be slightly profitable when played from the blinds. This concept relates to implied odds. Out of the small blind you are getting double the implied odds, as you are calling 1/2 a bet to win say 15 bets as opposed to 1 bet to win 15 if you are outside of the blinds.

One cavet needs to be discussed thou. This theory assumes that you can play well if you flop a medicore hand like bottom pair or gutshot, or for that matter hands that typically are "second best". By what the OP wrote I think this may be part of the problem. Profit in holdem starts with good starting hands, but is maximized with solid post flop play.

Jay
  • One thing I do in the BB is ask myself "You I play this hand on the button if there where X limpers?" X is the number of bets in the pot.

So, for instance, if there is a raise and one call then when the betting reaches me in my BB there are 5 bets in the pot (ignore the SB).

If I was the button and there was the BB and four limpers, would I call with this hand?

7-2 no.

7-5s yes.

J-6o no.

J-6s yes.

I find it a useful measure as to what hands to defend with.
  • I recognize that there are a great number of books outlining the playing of the blinds but the one I have read and make an effort to adhere to is Dave's "Winning at Poker". This is not intended to be a plug for his book, it is just that I have not read others on the topic. Pages 74 thru 76 provide the outline. We all know the start point is just one stage of hand play, our playing choices after that comes with experience. Like you, I have been sticking to low limit games but quite frankly I continue to get kicked pretty good. I am down $ 350.00 since beginning on line play about 6 months ago. I ask myself is this bad luck and the answer is no. Until I become more experienced at reading situations, putting players on hands etc., I will likely continue to experience marginal success from time to time and go on tilt and chase when I should be quitting for the day or moving tables. LOL. I am determined to stick to a plan and get back to basics when I waiver.
  • Thanks for the advice and discussion

I suppose the real issue is my play after the flop with mediocre hands. I don't find myself in that situation as often in other positions where I play tighter. The comment that I play too passive is certainly true in general and no doubt even worse when I have a medium hand.

I've read Dave's book and agree that it provides excellent guidance. I guess I just have to keep working on the "study, practice and repeat" advice.