A Tourney Hand August 29th, 2005

This is a 6 handed satellite to WCOOP Event $215 6 Handed Pot Limit Hold'em Event with 8 seats being awarded and 14-9 make their money back.  I'm in great position and just moved to a new table but I have played many hands with some of the players and have descent reads.

Up to this point I have been playing very solid and have only had to show down a limited number of times showing the best hand in all but one case.  I have built my stack by winning most pots with strong aggressive play and not seeing any showdowns.

PokerStars Game #2455139434: Tournament #11828490, Hold'em Pot Limit -
Level VII (150/300) - 2005/08/29 - 23:31:38 (ET)
Table '11828490 9' Seat #5 is the button
Seat 1: wineguytx (4975 in chips)
Seat 2: sweetjimmi (19408 in chips)  In great position but not in coasting mode
Seat 3: the_freezerr (13270 in chips)
Seat 4: Sudo_Gimp (8260 in chips)
Seat 5: bluedevil08 (3205 in chips)
Seat 6: CorvallisKid (13313 in chips)
CorvallisKid: posts small blind 150
wineguytx: posts big blind 300
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to sweetjimmi [7d Td]  Okay, you may hate this play but like I said strong aggressive play has been winning me pots without many showdowns
sweetjimmi: raises 600 to 900
the_freezerr: calls 900  Well I'm not looking to be called but it doesn't bother me too much.  I have played many hands with this player and feel comfortable seeing a flop with this player.  The call has me thinking a medium hand like AXs, strong K, or small to medium pair
Sudo_Gimp: folds
bluedevil08: folds
CorvallisKid: calls 750  I haven't played much with this player but their call doesn't bother me too much.  I have no idea what they could really have.
wineguytx: folds
*** FLOP *** [6d Qd 2h]  Well good the flop misses me completely!  Time to give up right!!!
CorvallisKid: checks  Good to see a check.  Not really a flop to slow play IMO.  I'm not giving this person credit for a hand now.
sweetjimmi: bets 2000  Now, I think if I can represent an Q here I will lose both players.  I am nearly 100% sure the Freezer will raise with a Queen or better
the_freezerr: calls 2000  Damn, but now I'm thinking smaller pair or bigger AceX.
CorvallisKid: folds Good unkown is now gone.
*** TURN *** [6d Qd 2h] [7s]  Now I'm only real worried about 77.  I think the Freezer will drop all other hands plus I now have 14 outs that I think are good.
sweetjimmi: bets 5000  There is $6,550 in the pot.  I think this bet will win the hand now.
the_freezerr: raises 5370 to 10370 and is all-inUmmm, oops.  Something just went very wrong.
sweetjimmi:  Now the pot is $21,920 and it's $5,370 about 4-1 to call.  I think that at worse I have 14 outs making me a little worse than 3-1.  I will also have over $5,000 chips left if I lose.  This will be a short stack compared to the average but won't be completely unplayable compared to the blinds.  If I win I will be able to coast to the win.  What's the play?

Comments

• A very easy call.

The question is not whether or not to call the final bet, but whether or not you should have lead off with the $5,000 bet on the turn in the first place. With a hand as strong as you have, you can't bet $5,000 on the turn with the intention of folding.

Betting the turn is not necessarily bad, but checking is worth considering too. In fact, if the opponent bets the turn, his exact bet size would probably determine my response on the turn, whether it would be calling, or check-raising all-in. If you strongly believe that your opponent is very unlikely to have a Queen, I don't see how you can get away from your hand on the turn.

A couple of small points:

-I wouldn't be afraid of 77. You can see two of the 7's in the deck already, so don't put your opponent on two exact cards.

-Although you typically will have 14 outs, at worst you have 7 outs. A slowplayed set is not out of the question here. (But it is unlikely enough that it doesn't factor in too much into the calculations I think.)

ScottyZ
  • -Although you typically will have 14 outs, at worst you have 7 outs. A slowplayed set is not out of the question here. (But it is unlikely enough that it doesn't factor in too much into the calculations I think.)

I meant that at worst I have 14 outs and may even have the best hand*.

*Not likely but I was very confident that all my outs were live and there was a small chance they were playing Ace high or a complete bluff.
  • PokerStars Game #2455139434: Tournament #11828490, Hold'em Pot Limit -
    Level VII (150/300) - 2005/08/29 - 23:31:38 (ET)
    Table '11828490 9' Seat #5 is the button
    Seat 1: wineguytx (4975 in chips)
    Seat 2: sweetjimmi (19408 in chips) In great position but not in coasting mode
    Seat 3: the_freezerr (13270 in chips)
    Seat 4: Sudo_Gimp (8260 in chips)
    Seat 5: bluedevil08 (3205 in chips)
    Seat 6: CorvallisKid (13313 in chips)
    CorvallisKid: posts small blind 150
    wineguytx: posts big blind 300
    *** HOLE CARDS ***
    Dealt to sweetjimmi [7d Td] Okay, you may hate this play but like I said strong aggressive play has been winning me pots without many showdowns
    sweetjimmi: raises 600 to 900

I think this is fine. You have a BIG stack and I *love* suited two gappers in big-bet poker. I make this raise frequently, and I remind myself to "be careful."
    the_freezerr: calls 900 Well I'm not looking to be called but it doesn't bother me too much. I have played many hands with this player and feel comfortable seeing a flop with this player. The call has me thinking a medium hand like AXs, strong K, or small to medium pair
    Sudo_Gimp: folds
    bluedevil08: folds
    CorvallisKid: calls 750 I haven't played much with this player but their call doesn't bother me too much. I have no idea what they could really have.
    wineguytx: folds

One caller behind and one caller in front. Not pleasant, but let's see the flop.
    *** FLOP *** [6d Qd 2h] Well good the flop misses me completely! Time to give up right!!!
    CorvallisKid: checks Good to see a check. Not really a flop to slow play IMO. I'm not giving this person credit for a hand now.
    sweetjimmi: bets 2000 Now, I think if I can represent an Q here I will lose both players. I am nearly 100% sure the Freezer will raise with a Queen or better
    the_freezerr: calls 2000 Damn, but now I'm thinking smaller pair or bigger AceX.
    CorvallisKid: folds Good unkown is now gone.

I think this bet is fine.

When he calls... AAALLLLLAAAARRRMMMM. What does he have? Well, he has a better hand or a better draw or maybe both AND he has position.
    *** TURN *** [6d Qd 2h] [7s] Now I'm only real worried about 77. I think the Freezer will drop all other hands plus I now have 14 outs that I think are good.
    sweetjimmi: bets 5000 There is $6,550 in the pot. I think this bet will win the hand now.
    the_freezerr: raises 5370 to 10370 and is all-inUmmm, oops. Something just went very wrong.
    sweetjimmi: Now the pot is $21,920 and it's $5,370 about 4-1 to call. I think that at worse I have 14 outs making me a little worse than 3-1. I will also have over $5,000 chips left if I lose. This will be a short stack compared to the average but won't be completely unplayable compared to the blinds. If I win I will be able to coast to the win. What's the play?

I don't like your read. I am going to give him credit for a set. On the flop you felt "I am nearly 100% sure the Freezer will raise with a Queen or better" and he did NOT raise. The box you have this player in suggest that he has a HUGE hand.

Discretion. Assume he has a set. Now you only have 7 outs. You are getting 4-1 odds on a 6-1 draw. Fold. Not to mention that you will have LOTS of chips left.