Dave's WSOP Adventure - morning May 23

May 23 – the morning

Last night I had supper with Ralph (he is still in the tournament), had a massage, and then went to Troy. Ugh. Don’t bother. It is a horrible movie. Horrible.

Ralph suffered some HORRIBLE luck in the final hour of the day yesterday. With a stack of $25,000 he gets a player all in with A-A v J-J. Jack on the turn. Ugh. Then against a really weak player who has been hitting everything Ralph has K-Q. The flop is K-Q-5. The weak player best $2K on flop, $4K on turn and $4K on river. Ralph smelled a rat and never put in a raise. The weak player has 5-5 and wins. The good news is that Ralph avoided going broke. He has $6600 chips to start day two (Monday).

Having trouble sleeping? Some do (me – although not last night). Others not (Ralph). He gets back to the room at 2:17AM. We chat for five minutes. I fall back asleep. Later in the night I am awoken by Ralph’s HORRIBLE snoring. I check my watch. 2:32AM. He has only been back for 15 minutes. Sleeping is apparently not a problem for Ralph.

I have been for a run this morning. Sent some clothes for laundry. Relaxed with a newspaper. Just taking it easy and waiting for my turn in the ring starting at 1PM.

As of this morning here is what I know about the tournament. I haven’t hung around Binion’s a lot so I can’t confirm these tidbits but here are some observations/rumours. First, it was NOT Scotty Nguyen that I saw bust yesterday. He was standing at the rail when table 34 called “open seat” and I mistakenly thought he was the victim. He was not. Players that ARE eliminated: Men “the Master” Nguyen, Chris Ferguson, Chris Moneymaker, and TJ Cloutier. Scotty Nguyen has been eliminated but it was later in the day. The ESPN guys actually rushed over to interview the guy who knocked him out while play is going on. Wow. I hope that I will have the courage to decline the interview and just stay focussed.

I believe that the final tally is 2566 players. Instead of playing 5 two hour levels (as published) they played 6 1:40 minute levels. They needed to get the day down to 600 so that everybody will fit come Monday. They succeeded. When Ralph quit there were 590 players left.

Other random observations…

I was talking with Jesse May (author of Shut up and Deal). He estimates the field to be 20% players who have NO CLUE. 50% of the field are grinder rocks. They can make the money but cannot win. 20% maniacs – crazy aggressive but without enough discretion. 10% foxes. He also observes that A LOT of players simply fold up under the pressure on days three, four, and five. He says you can tell by looking at them. They are not in good shape. They are tired, stressed, and worn out. I aware of this risk and I have trying hard to stay focussed and rested and healthy.

Watching a table with Doyle Brunson. A young guy at the table claps his hands, stands up, and announces “that got the heart monitor going.” I thought he lost the hand but he did not. He won it. He sits back down and says to Doyle: “I don’t know how you play above $4-8. I can’t take it.” Put this player into the “will not be able to take the pressure on day four and five” category described by Jesse May.

Ralph had a conversation yesterday with the guy from ESPN who sits in the booth with the holdcard cameras. He is the only person who does. The ESPN coverage in impressive. The “camera table” is one table out of the field – instead of Moneymaker they choose Negreanu for day one. At that table they have the holecard cameras, an overhead camera, two trolly cameras, a stationary camera, a boom camera, and a dealer camera. There is at least one – maybe two – other camera/boom mics working over the remainder of the room. The fellow from the “little booth” also worked on Showdown at the Sands for Fox SportsNet. They had heart rate monitors at that one. He was telling Ralph that there was one guy who’s heart rate would jump to 180 when he was bluffing. That is, I think, about what an Olympic sprinter is running at when he crossed the finish line. SUPER fast. Daniel Negreanu? Big hand or big bluff… NO change in heart rate. I think that’s one of the reasons they choose Daniel as the “camera table” for yesterday. I don’t know who it is yet today.

I am going to relax for the remainder of the morning. Have a decent late breakfast. Maybe even have a nap. I will email my result later in the day. If (I mean when) I am still alive at the end of the day I that email will be sent about 5AM EST.

Fear the Buddha baby! Fear the Buddha!

Comments

• keep the updates coming! I can't believe the sheer numbers of player this year, and the fact they were able to narrow down the field like that. Geez, I wish I were there... :(
  • went to Troy. Ugh. Don’t bother

Agreed, a terrible way to spend 3 hours of your life. I made the same mistake.
    With a stack of $25,000 he gets a player all in with A-A v J-J. Jack on the turn.

Ouch.
    Ralph has K-Q. The flop is K-Q-5. The weak player best $2K on flop, $4K on turn and $4K on river. Ralph smelled a rat and never put in a raise. The weak player has 5-5 and wins. The good news is that Ralph avoided going broke

That's some solid play on Ralph's part. I think I'd be loving my top 2 pair.
    He has $6600 chips to start day two (Monday).

Goooooo Ralph!!!

Another awesome report. I'm looking forward to the next one.

Regards,
    all_aces
  • Thanks for the updates. I cannot get over the amount of "believers" this year. :shock:

I believe that the final tally is 2566 players. Instead of playing 5 two hour levels (as published) they played 6 1:40 minute levels. They needed to get the day down to 600 so that everybody will fit come Monday. They succeeded. When Ralph quit there were 590 players left

:?
    I'm confused. 590 out of how many players? Can't be out of 2566 right? :?
  • Hey esool,

I believe that they have *2* 'Day 1's. They can't seat 2400 people at the same time, so half begin their Main Event on Saturday. Those who make it past Saturday have Sunday off. Half begin their Main Event on Sunday, and those who make it meet up with Saturday's survivors on Monday.

So, 1200 or so play Saturday, down to 600 or so.
    The remaining 1200 or so play Sunday, down to 600 or so.
    The survivors from each day meet up to play on Monday.

Hope that made sense,
    all_aces
  • I believe there are also players called "alternates" beyond the 2400 player cap who take the seats of the of the first players who bust out.

ScottyZ
  • Hey Troy wasn't that bad of a movie. If you take it for what it is worth, a summer popcorn action film, it was actually pretty amazing...

ANYWAY!!

Wow, I can't believe the names that were out after day 1. Scotty Nyugen is out and a lot of people picked him to win it all. Wow Dave you sound so focused and relaxed. I pray we next your next update at 5AM and not a minute sooner!!
  • all_aces wrote:
    Hey esool,

I believe that they have *2* 'Day 1's. They can't seat 2400 people at the same time, so half begin their Main Event on Saturday. Those who make it past Saturday have Sunday off. Half begin their Main Event on Sunday, and those who make it meet up with Saturday's survivors on Monday.

Hope that made sense,
    all_aces

Yeah makes sense, thanks. :)
    I can't believe that half the players get knocked out in day one. :shock: (Well half of the half :lol: )
  • That sucks that Scotty is out on the first day... :(
  • Jay wrote:
    That sucks that Scotty is out on the first day... :(

i thought he was gonna make it farther BAY-BEE :(:cry::(
    all_aces wrote:

yeah i think that's what happened :D