When do you fold Pocket A's?

You Hold pocket A's. Assuming you made a decent raise before the flop and you still get a couple callers.

obviously there's countless amount of flops possible but how do you play your AA againt things like a
Straight draw
Flush Draw
a pair of face cards flop (possible Trips)
2 or 3 face cards flop(not including the A)

Second part of the question is what if a turn card is seen and makes the possible flush or straight?

When should I be folding, go all in, betting heavy or light?

Comments

• limit or no-limit?
  • Too many people put it all-in on AA without a good flop and so many go down. It is a very very strong starting hand, but putting it all in pre-flop is usually bad in most occasions, you will either get no action or you will get action and be ready to walk away. Of course, the big thing is how the table is playing ...

Straight draws can be really dangerous if you have a bunch of callers and chasers.
    Flush draws rock if you have the A of that suit. However you need to pretty much hit the whole flop (all of one suit), or you could be in trouble.
    possible trips, espeically on high cards is always possible on any table,

AA is so tricky, if you slow play them too much, you could end up in one of the above situations and have to pay a lot of money or fold them. If you put too much in the pot, you lose all the action. I typically like to put in at least a standard raise (or maybe even double the standard raise) to limit but not eliminate all opponents, then I am ready to let them go (usually on the turn) if things aren't working out. The "pros" might have better advice, but typically I only like getting all of my money in when I am a mortal lock (or have a friggin ton of outs) to win the hand.
  • It is a very very strong starting hand, but putting it all in pre-flop is usually awesome in all occasions, you will either get no action or you will get action and be ready to walk away with the tables chips in your pocket

FYP.
  • BBC Z wrote:
    It is a very very strong starting hand, but putting it all in pre-flop is usually awesome in all occasions, you will either get no action or you will get action and be ready to walk away with the tables chips in your pocket

FYP.

Yeah, that's always a genius play. Move all in with aces in all instances. Get that SB and BB in low limit games. Sometimes it is a great play but saying it is the best move in all occasions isn't smart.
  • BBC Z wrote:
    It is a very very strong starting hand, but putting it all in pre-flop is usually awesome in all occasions, you will either get no action or you will get action and be ready to walk away with the tables chips in your pocket

FYP.

Yeah, that's always a genius play. Move all in with aces in all instances. Get that SB and BB in low limit games. Sometimes it is a great play but saying it is the best move in all occasions isn't smart.

i think he means getting in in, if you are able to get all your chips in with AA, it's obviously optimal, where WaterLooser seemed to be suggesting it's bad to get action?
  • Perhaps, maybe I misread it.
  • I honestly didn't read the whole post.

To simplify this, just fold them preflop all the time and you won't get into any trouble! 17.gif
  • The second you realize you no longer have the best hand!!!

It's tough to toss bullets into the muck. I'm sure everyone will agree that. But holding them because they are bullets can cost you plenty. Read the beat stories and you'll soon see. Everyone gets' their nuts cracked every now and then...and it hurts!!
  • STR82ACE wrote:
    Everyone gets' their nuts cracked every now and then...and it hurts!!

That's basically what I was trying to say, maybe I didn't articulate that very well. I have had to either dip back into my pocket or retire early from a tournament too many times going all-in with AA pre-flop, so I am probably a little gun-shy with that hand. However, I would have to say 1/2 of those times I probably still would have got it all-in post-flop. Two nights ago I was playing in a SnG with 5 left and it was a triple all-in pre-flop. I had AA so I went along for the ride. The guy with 66 got a 6 on the turn to get trips and it was over for me. Other hands were AT and J9.
  • AA plays best against one player and at most two. Three people in before you. Call and take the plunge. Now if you have a huge chip lead, say two to one over any other person, I would consider folding but would probably still call.
  • Now if you have a huge chip lead, say two to one over any other person, I would consider folding but would probably still call.

You would consider folding? Seriously? Why? You have no risk of busting, you have a giant pot equity edge and you're going to fold?
  • Possibly fold them if you are on/near the bubble of a major event where it be a $10,000 bust out. Then again I wouldn't even be looking at the cards at that point.
  • Here is my problem... you make a small raise ... you get action. Anyone bets the flop and you are left second guessing your hand.

You make a larger raise x4 the BB and you get a caller. A face drops on the flop ... "Does he have trips?" ... "Will he pay for another look?"

So I say jam it all-in and take the blinds ... but then oh no ... POCKET FREAKING 10's or something calls and you get smoked by trips.

In conclusion ... I don't think AA is that different to other high pocket pairsm. I know I am not offering much in terms of usefull stategy, I am just sharing my thoughts.
  • In this game I want to make the most $ I can from my hand. I think pushing all my money in pre flop for measly blind stealing would be silly(unless of course there was enough in the pot from large blinds and antes) I want callers. They won't see the flop cheap.
    I want the best possible starting hand to pay off, and if I have to fold it on the flop or turn to a better hand so be it. In the long run I know theres more money to be won. I'm not going to "baby" my A's because they've been cracked.
    Now my question is how do you play the above flops and when would you give up your hand, how much are you willing to call if someones on that flush/straight draw, possibly could of made trips or 2 pair.
  • ScoobyD wrote:
    Now if you have a huge chip lead, say two to one over any other person, I would consider folding but would probably still call.

You would consider folding?  Seriously?  Why?  You have no risk of busting, you have a giant pot equity edge and you're going to fold?

The asumption I am making is this is a NL tournament.

The way I look at playing is if you have a large chip lead it is better not to risk this chip lead on a coin flip because if there are already 3 all in callers that exactly what it is. Sure you have the best hand but you are better using your stack against one player and push them into making bad decisions.

It would be very hard for me to lay down, having said that I have never laid down AA preflop in a regular tournament. I have however done this in a satellite. 3-4 to the bubble I had average chips and the two chip leaders were going head to head.
  • The way I look at playing is if you have a large chip lead it is better not to risk this chip lead on a coin flip because if there are already 3 all in callers that exactly what it is.

I was of the opinion that when you're either a huge stack or a tiny stack, you should be taking all the +EV plays you can get (which this is by far). Even if it is only 50% to win (and I think in general this would be worst case if you're up against 3 other pockets, if they have hands like AK, AQ you might only have to dodge 2 outs from the other pocket and freak straights, flushes) , with 3 other players this is hugely +EV. Not to mention there are likely to be several side pots. Even IF you manage to lose the main pot, winning several side pots can minimize the loss, or actually get you more chips than the main pot was worth.
    3-4 to the bubble I had average chips and the two chip leaders were going head to head.

Agreed that in some instances folding aces is justified (classic example of MTT, 3 left, you have microstack, 2 chip leaders allin with equal stacks). With average chips though, I doubt I'd be laying that down, since I figure to be in good shape to win the whole thing if I triple through.
  • God, I'm overruning this thread. Anyways, my 2 cents (since I had to respond to the previous post).
    Here is my problem... you make a small raise ... you get action.

Of course you do.  For the implied odds of hitting a big hand and busting you.  If you're constantly making small raises with big hands and big raises with weak hands you're tipping your opponents off to the relative strength of your hand.
    Now my question is how do you play the above flops and when would you give up your hand, how much are you willing to call if someones on that flush/straight draw, possibly could of made trips or 2 pair.

How do you play the flops? In a word, carefully.  Playing AA in these spots is going to be heavily read dependent.  Is the player betting into you a constant bluffer?  Does he semi-bluff?  Does betting into the pf raiser (as opposed to check-raising or smooth calling) indicate strength or weakness?  Even if you are "technically" ahead, what cards can hurt you?  (ie. a pair plus an OESD is roughly even money vs. the AA on the flop). Do you have any redraws?  Is your opponent on tilt?  Does he overvalue hands like TP? Etc., etc. etc....

I know my response is generally just posing a bunch of questions back at you, but there's no easy answer of how to play marginal hands (which AA is on those flops) vs any opponent.  It will be highly situational.  However the more you encounter those situations (and the better your read on your opponent) the better you will get at knowing when to lay it down, and when to play it aggressively.

Just my 2 cents...
  • Fair Enough ... I like your thoughts on this Scooby.

I guess like everything else in this game, if you don't have a read on your opponents, you are shooting in the dark anyway.