does more money mean better play?

I have heard quite a bit that as limits increase, the level of play also increases. I think that generally this is true, but I was wondering if this is the same for tournaments? Is there a subsantial change in the game moving from $5 tournies to $100 ?

Comments

• I have moved up to the $30 - 50 Sit N Goes, from the $5. Yes the skill level does increase.

However, it goes from one solid player at the $5 level to 5 solid at the $50. So that still means there are 5 players you have to take advantage of, and quickly.
    But you do get away with alot more at the higher levels as people will laydown marginal pairs, obvious str's etc, which lower levels I find will not do.

But you have to have some skills such as;

1) steal ( however in a sit'n'go I rarely steal preflop, you have better opportunities to bluff post flop)
    2) probe and continuation bet, and read the responses well
    3) follow through on those above bets, through turn and river
    4) ability to lay down monster hands like KK-JJ

and Patience... alot of patience>

So to answer your question, I think it is the average of good players that increase. But you will still see donkeys at the higher levels. For example; read Dave's 2004 WSOP report where you see people who have never played buy in for $10K
  • It is a simply truth -- the higher you play, the better the overall quality of play.

Generally, though, I don't think you see much difference in up to $3-6. Then it gets tougher, but stays about the same up to $15-30. Then it gets tougher and tougher as you move up from there.