May 22

May 22

Got up at 8AM and went for a short 20 minute run. I am intending to make this a habit for the next few days. It is sort of “cleansing” and grounded. It is easy to lose your footing in LV and adding a healthy, mundane activity to my daily routine seems important.

It’s official. The WSOP Championship is a sellout. There are 2400 players. There are at least 100 alternates for each of Saturday and Sunday. First place is $5 million. I hung around with Ralph until it started. There is a pretty impressive feeling that goes with standing there and hearing “Dealer’s shuffle up and put ‘em in the air.”

I was standing nearby to table 34 when the first player went bust. I could not see clearly but I think it was Scotty Nguyen. All the money went in on the turn. Scotty had a set which did not improve against a flush. Oops.

Took a few photos of Ralph. Within about ten minutes of starting he had his stack up to $11,000 (starting is $10K).

My plan now is to play some poker this afternoon, relax, have supper with Ralph, go to be early and get lots of rest for tomorrow.

Celebrities playing (not confirmed by me) Gabe Kaplan, Tobey Maguire, Leanardo DiCaprio, Matt Damon, James Woods, Ben Affleck, Jerry Buss, Edward Norton, Lou Diamond Philips, Larry Flynt.

Right now the air conditioniing has gone out on the main floor. It is HOT HOT HOT.

Also, they are packing 11 players are some tables to make room for the alternates. They are not turning ANYBODY away.

Comments

• May 22

I was standing nearby to table 34 when the first player went bust. I could not see clearly but I think it was Scotty Nguyen. All the money went in on the turn. Scotty had a set which did not improve against a flush. Oops.

Wow, that's going to ruin a lot of predictions
  • Hey Dave,

I read your $1000 + sat. report.... nice job! My favourite part was when you suggested that the guy should fold his sevens. :lol:

I've been keeping track of day one part one via pokervoice, gutshot, pokerpages and recpoker. Suffice it to say that I really really really wish I was there. If I'd known that this was going to be 'the year', I'd have... well, who knows what I would have done. But man, it sounds like fun.

Give 'em hell.

all_aces
  • Are you sure that it was Scotty Nguyen that busted out already??

That's very surprising!! :shock:
  • Error error error.

It was not Scotty Nguyen on the first hand. I heard "open seat" and looked over. At that moment Scotty was standnig at the rail right besidd the table shaking hands. I wrongly assumed he had gone broke. Oops.
  • Thanks goodness!!!

"Not this time, bay-bee!!"

Oh yeah, is Scotty rocking the mullet this year?? He had it when he went on the Late Show with Conan O'Brien...
  • Edward Norton
    He's the man! Take it Ed!