Odds, statistics and probabilites

As I progress in this fantastic game I realize more and more how the understanding of the math and calculations related to poker is critical to taking a player to the next level, so to speak. Of the thousands of people who play this game worldwide it appears only those with the brain capacity to "do the math", will be consistent winners. I doubt I have the capacity to compete with the poker playing degree holder from MIT, or the numerous other gifted people who play the game, however, if there is some advice out there to get me started on the way to a better understanding of the math please help. LOL. I continue to play on line only and the last two sessions were not pretty. Using basic starting hands, playing tight, and essentially being careful I got my butt kicked for about $ 50.00 playing LHE .25/.50. There is definitely something wrong. Perhaps the answer is take a week off, study like heck and then quit. LOL. Or get a degree in math. Any comments welcome.

Comments

• $50 in a $.25/.50 cent game isn't uncommon. You might be getting your money in with the "best" hand at the time however if you set of A's gets called and dude hits his runner runner flush/staight you lose. If your looking for insights into the math of poker then read Sklanky's Theory of Poker.
  • Math is not that critical to becoming a profitable player at low or mid limits. A basic understanding of pot odds will be required. But, "big pot" and "small pot" compared to "big draw" and "small draw" is all the is really required.

Buy a good book. Winning at Poker comes to mind. And, study it A LOT.
  • Actually I did buy your book Dave and that is when the slide started. LOL. Just kidding. What I do find though is with more information I tend to out think/guess myself and I think it is like you say, read and re-read and get back to basics.
  • Poker books are A LOT like golf books. They make your game WORSE and then eventually, better.
  • Poker books are A LOT like golf books. They make your game WORSE and then eventually, better.

that is a pretty great analogy...

poker theory is similiar in that i think most players go through a phase of overapplying new strategies to a bunch of scenarios without really thinking about the unique facets of each scenario and the applicability of their new found knowledge...much like a child after learning the word dog calls all hairy small four legged animals "doggie"...eventually it learns about cats...and applies the appropriate tag.

i think thats the case with players reading books and finding a temporary detrimental effect caused from the over application of well thought out strategies...it takes a while to figure out when to use this new "advanced" technique...and when to stick to the basics.