My WSOP episode on ESPN

Hey guys,

If any of you are interested in watching me go down in flames, Event #4 of the 2005 WSOP will be on ESPN this Tuesday, the 23rd.  I'm not sure when TSN will be broadcasting it, but if any of you have ESPN and are interested, there you have it.

Comments

• I just found out the time it will air: 10:00 pm EST tonight.  I don't get ESPN, but a friend of mine works at CTV Agincourt and we'll be watching it there.  Ugh.  In a way, it will be cool.  In another way, it will be mortifying.  Those damn pocket deuces.  That damn last hand.  Norman Chad is going to destroy me, I can feel it.
  • damn Canadian cable for no ESPN!!!
  • Figures, the one week I'm not down south.  Make sure you get a good copy so you can show instead of tell when you're as old as Doyle.
    all_aces wrote:
    I just found out the time it will air: 10:00 pm EST tonight.  I don't get ESPN, but a friend of mine works at CTV Agincourt and we'll be watching it there.  Ugh.  In a way, it will be cool.  In another way, it will be mortifying.  Those damn pocket deuces.  That damn last hand.  Norman Chad is going to destroy me, I can feel it.
  • My DVD player is set to record it, 9:00 is the NL Holdem, Followed at 10:00 by Aces Limit event.
  • oh man... id be so excited...

i hope norman chad is forgiving....
  • If some records this, could you please upload it to share??

CHERRS!
  • TORRENTS...ANYONE GOT THE TORRENTS? I guess TORRENTS will be out tomorrow hopefully!
  • Todd Whitteles, aka Dan Druff, is a CLOWN!
  • Haven't watched the whole thing, but, Aces, I don't think you have anything to worry about if people see this.

The beaver looked good and no roast by Chad at the end of your run, actually, he took a shot at Frolich for saying "just Aces" when you asked him if he had a pair...

Congrats again on your finish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • zieba wrote:
    Todd Whitteles, aka Dan Druff, is a CLOWN!
    Whats up with the hating? Guy plays solid LIMIT poker...
  • Yeah, I watched it last night. They weren't mean to me. I'm glad they mentioned 'Team Canuck' and 'fear the beaver', etc. I'll post a more thorough 'review' this evening.

And yes, the commentator's (and my) reaction to Eric saying 'just aces' was priceless.
  • Aces,

How long was the final table? Did they leave a lot of good hands out of it? I mean, to chop it down to an hour with commercials etc...must have left out a ton of stuff.

I don't have the equip to burn the DVD i have, but, if local guys (KW) want to grab it and make some copies, let me know.

Congrats again, it was pretty cool watching that.

D
  • Well, in a nutshell, the angle they took on the episode was the whole 'youngest WSOP bracelet winner ever' thing.  Eric Froehlich went on to become that very thing, so that was what we saw.  I watched until I busted out, because I'm getting a DVD copy of it and I can watch the rest later.

It was a blast playing poker on television.  I knew they'd probably only show my bust-out hand, and that was indeed pretty much all that made it to air.  They had a single hour to cover the entire final table.  From what I saw, it was one hand (usually an elimination hand) every four minutes or so.  I could be off on that, but that's what it seemed like.  I wasn't involved in many (if any, IIRC) bust-out hands at the final table, except for of course my own.

Pre-elimination hand, they hung on me with a decision in the big blind.  I don't know what I had, and they didn't show it, but it was two bets to me and I was thinking for a second.  I rubbed the beaver, which they showed, and I folded.  I'm pretty sure that it was around then that they said my name, as well as some info about Team Canuck Poker; basically, that it exists, and that it is the Canadian 'Crew'.

And they mentioned that our motto is 'Fear the beaver, baby.  Fear the beaver".  I'm pretty sure Lon said at least the first part of that.

I knew what was coming.  My big bad bust-out hand.  I was shortstacked, yes.  OK.  But I still went 5 bets preflop with pocket deuces.  It is pretty apparent, in retrospect, that just calling his 3-bet and folding the flop would have been the better play.  I would have been really really really shortstacked, but at least I would have had a chance. 

Norman Chad has roasted people in the past, and I'm happy to say that he didn't roast me.  As I recall, the worst thing he said about me was after I had raised with deuces, and been re-raised.  I'd then made it four bets instead of calling, committing myself to the hand, and he said something like: "That's a door, you don't want to open, and if you open it you don't want to go through it".  I butchered EXACTLY what he said, but that's pretty close.

He or Lon McEachern called me a "likeable fellow" though.   They also acknowledged that I was shortstacked, that I hadn't picked up any kind of a hand, and that any pocket pair would have looked good to me.  They spent quite a bit of time on my bust-out hand, because I had "drama" with the guy who busted me--Eric, who went on to win it.  We got all my chips in preflop, and on the jack-high flop.  There was a part of me that thought he might have AK or AQ, however delusional that may sound.  So I asked him: "Do you have a pair?" before we flipped over our cards.  He said: "Just aces" and flipped over his pocket aces.  I flipped over my deuces and repeated what he said, shaking my head: just aces.  At least I think I did, and if I didn't, I should have.  And Norman Chad piped in and said something like: "Yeah what's with that.  If you have aces say you have aces, don't say "JUST" aces".  So that was pretty funny.

I then said something about liking his chances in the hand, before the turn and river.  The river was a three, and there was a moan from me, and the crowd, when we thought it was a two.  You can hear someone yell "deuce" at the turn or river, and I'm pretty sure it was Dave.

They didn't include any of my interview or 'tough-guy' shots, but IIRC they only showed the interviews that were consistent with the two 'youngest bracelet contenders' angle.

So I played a pretty small part in the show, but I'm happy with the way they treated what was probably my worst play of the tournament: the only one that made it to air.  :)  I'm REALLY happy they mentioned TCP, and that they had a couple of cutaways of me stroking the beaver, from the hole-card cam's POV.  I shook everyone's hand when I busted, smiled, and walked away.  I'm cool with everything they showed me do up there, aside from the actual playing of the poker. 

Oh well, there's always 2006! 

I'll post here when I know when it's going to be on TSN.  And if I have some of the details in the post wrong, apologies in advance.
  • Dan Druff is getting ROASTED in various places on. Paul Phillips is being particularly hard on him.

Whew, glad you kept your head out of the line of fire. Although it anyone on TCP is ever likely to look like an idiot, it will be me or Bob. Devin and Ralph and just too quiet and nice.
  • I got around to watching the whole thing after Rob's tourney on Wednesday.

Devin, you forgot the "I have noticed that his pocket cam is always clean and in good focus" line of Norman Chad's as they were looking at your twos and mentioning your profession.

Dan Druff came off as a buffoon at that table. Even the manner in which he was placing his bets..."pounding" a stack to signify a raise etc...IMO he looked/acted like a fool, his ripping off the chair cover and whipping it around was also quite a classy move.

His bust out interview was great too.
  • Dan Druff is getting ROASTED in various places
    Wow, you weren't kidding. Every forum is having their way with that guy. Oh well.... I guess now we all know who I was referring to in my trip report when I said something like: "I didn't really make up a 'persona' or anything like that just for the TV cameras, although someone else who shall remain nameless did just that..."

I have no idea why he acted that way on the show, but I suspect he probably regrets it.
  • anybody willing to rip this episode and put it online?
  • Chris wrote:
    anybody willing to rip this episode and put it online?
    I think they'll be put up soon. They ripped all the Circuit event, I expect them by the weekend. Last time the Circuit events popped up Snday night (after airing on Tuesday) :P
  • "are deuces worth more in canadian poker?" LMAO but seriously the time you did get on there was pretty good devin, and besides that little quip they had lots of good things to say about ya. Nice job man, can't wait to see ya on a final table again next year :)
  • finally got a chance to see this

i think they treated you very well, devin - i'd be extremely proud if i were you
  • I finally got to watch this (torrents are money). "Are deuces worth more in Canada?" LMAO. WTF were you doing in that hand, AA? Just kidding, man. Good stuff. Was that Dave yelling "Deucccccccccce" when they turned up the river card?
  • I'm pretty sure that was Dave. It sounds like him, and let's face it, there were only three people there (four including Amy C.) who cared about whether or not I hit a deuce. I laughed when I heard him yell it on the broadcast. :)

If only that river card was a deuce...
  • I'm honoured to actually even be replying to you, so I took the time to give you a visual dream if only.... I'm not sure if this makes it worse though.

Great job aces!

ifonly.jpg
  • Wow, that is very cool orth. Thanks very much... I have set it as my desktop background. Yes, if only a deuce on the river lol.

Thanks again, I love it.
  • I keep watching that video. I swore that was a duce!