Being moved tables in a tournament

Just wondering if you had any advice on dealing with being moved tables in a tournament. In the online tournaments I'm playing, I often seem to run into problems when I am moved to a new table, especially when dealt hands where some insight into the other peoples' playing style would be helpful. In particular, I'm finding it hard to deal with the situation where I'm moved at a stage where the blinds/stakes are getting pretty high relative to my stack (even if I'm doing alright it is sometimes an issue once the blinds are big enough)... enough so that playing overly tight has it's own risks.

Any words of wisdom you can offer would be appreciated.

Comments

• For me, it depends on the size of my stack. If the blinds are high, the stack is low, and the cards are good, I play them. If I have a large enough stack to sit and watch for awhile then I don't play much until I can get a mini-read at the very least. Maybe 1-3 rounds. It's not really a foolproof system, but it gives you some info. Hope it helps.
  • Hey Iron,

DJP's advice is good... it helps to sit and watch for awhile. I tend to do this on a less-than-average stack if I'm moved, unless I'm really shortstacked. However, if I have an average or above-average stack, I will generally make a point of playing a hand aggressively, as early as I can. This doesn't mean I'll put a *lot* of chips at risk--nor does it mean I'll raise with *any* two cards against a completely unknown opponent.

I just think it helps to come in firing. When a player gets moved to my table, and they show they're not afraid to get some chips in the middle on the first or second hand they're dealt, I will wait longer than usual to put them to the test.

This situation arises most often--as you pointed out--in online tournaments.

As an aside, I was recently moved 3 times in 5 or 6 hands in an online tournament. Twice right into the big blind. Arg.

Regards,
    all_aces