Poker Clock

What do you think about the time limit on acting on your hand?

Comments

• I voted "No", was thinking of actually choosing "Yes, but there should be more time", but more along the lines of 5 minutes or so.

Plus, a time clock really only makes sense in a multi-table tournament.

ScottyZ
  • I think the "shot clock" will help the push to legitimize poker and make it more like a sport ala golf. It also makes for great drama and television. I would also add a few timeouts for players to get extra time when they need it. But I'm not sure I like it.
  • I don't like it. Asking for a chip count should not count against time either...maybe this limit will allow for more hands to be shown though...I suppose that's an upside.
  • I heard the more hands shown as a reason somewhere else too.
    I disagree, the editors show what they want to show, if a guy takes way too long to decide, the WPT editors will certainly not show the whole thought process the player goes into.
    As for the clock in general, i agree there should be a set time wioth which a player has to act. Not sure whats fair, and Im thinking final table play should deserve more time for players to act than they get throughout the whole tournament.
    One thing I know for sure is that having only 60 seconds to act is absurd.
    Go to a pro golf event to see how long these guys look down their putts, 1 minute just made the poker bad to watch IMO. Once we discovered a player had a decision to make, it seemed the clock was half done, and the annoying as hell beeping started up.
    4 or 5 mins seems much better to me, but up the one minute warning after 4 mins, then maybe I could handle the countdown.
    Again during early tourney action, i think 5 mins is likely much too much time to act.
    Kevin
  • The "shot clock" from Sunday may have been an abberation. That tournament was a freeroll so the WPT coud certainly ask the players to do whatever the WPT wanted.

At other tournaments the players have paid their own entry fee. It will piss me off if, after paying $10K for the privelege of having someone else profit on a TV show, I am also forced to hurry my decisions.
  • It won't be implemented for future seasons will it? I sure as hell hope not. It needs to be at least 2 minutes.
  • I voted no. Although it would piss me off to wait for someone to calculate pot odds when I just check-raised them. :D
  • I like the idea of having no time limit, but if they were going to edit out some of the thought proccess, I would like a little clock in one of the corners to show how much time has elapsed, so players at home get a feel for just how long it takes for the pros to make their decisions.
  • i like that idea munch

i hate the idea of that clock. i found it as annoying as highlighting the puck. i kind of think that if you're playing for that much money, you take as much time as you want.

maybe i'd feel different if i was opposite someone who took hours to play a hand tho
  • The shot clock is good from the TV network's point of view and it would speed play up but I think that you would see less skill because people would be checking more because of being pressured to make a desicion when they would need more than a minute, more flops which would lead to the hole cards holding less value then eventually changing the game drasticly.
  • No, we don't need turbo high dollar poker. All flash, no panache. lol