Short Handed Hold em

Im looking for some advice on playing shorthanded holdem.  With a recent tournament victory, Ive acheived a pretty hefty bankroll relative to what im used to.  Instead of going crazy and jumping to 30/60 or something, ive decided to go and finally give shorthanded tables a shot.
I'm looking for any advice on playing them well - from you, devin, or anyone else with a successful record.

General tips are welcome, as im smart enough to relaize most relies on your table makeup.

Also, what is your ideal table makeup?  A table full of loose aggressive people? tight-passive?

I had a wonderful gent on my immediate right last nigt.  In 100hands he never raised once, and always called (70% of the time).  He defended my BB for me, and i couldnt thank him enough  :D

Thanks for any advice in advance

-john

Comments

• Also, comments on win rates and variance would be appreciated.

Im currently @ 22BB/100hands.......  over 169 hands...  screw the long run!  :D
  • Loose passives are always the best to play against, but LAGs can be very profitable too (especially ones that aren't overly tricky and bluff mostly in obvious bluffing situations). The variance in the game is just awful, you will go on huge swings, just gonna have to get used to it. I've been reading the shorthanded forum on 2+2 constantly and it has helped me a lot. Bet the river.
  • My short handed starting hand, Plan "A"

If first in, or limped to me:

(1) Raise with any pair, any suited ace, any two suited cards if both are above 7 (eg Q-7s and 8-7s are both raising hands)

(2) Call with any ace, any two cards if both are above 9 (eg K-9o and T-9o).

If there is a raise, tighten up A LOT.

On the flop

(1) Against only one opponent, ALWAYS bet.

(2) Against two opponents semi-bluff draws and bet with any ace

(3) Against three or more opponents... bet if you think you have the best hand.

And... measure your hand from this point according to the betting progression against your opponents.

I like lots of loose passives. Yummy.
  • Thanks Dave, I really like that advice and it seems consitent with my play so far.

Could you just justify why you believe playing K-9o is +EV?
    Its funny that you mention this specific hand, b/c i found myself contemplating limping with it UTG+1 yesterday, but ultimately folding it.

thanks
  • I started creating my shorthanded package by looking at what hands show +EV in Monte Carlo simulations. This is basically my range.

I used to raise with ALL of the hands. But, that is (I think) too aggressive and people pretty quickly catch on to the fact that you are TOO aggressive. They change they play and start calling more. So I decided I needed to mix up my play. Some calling and some raising. I let me cards do that for me as indicated.
  • Ive played a lot of the 5/10 and 10/20 6max as well as a lot of heads up when I was propping.

When playing 6max you ideally want to be seeing around 24-28% of flops.  Ive emailed you a shorthanded play chart that I used to follow.

One thing you will notice...NO OPEN LIMPING.  Probably the best little piece of advice for SH.

And your ideal makeup at any table is loose passive.  As games get more shorthanded...Maniacs actually move closer and closer to optimum strategy.
  • The main: Is that your name on PP as well? have you been playing the 5/10 SH ? if so I've seen ya playing a bit :)
  • that would be me sinc - the_main_
    have we played? any comments on my game?

And thanks for the chart Kai - way to break it down to a science
  • glad to help!
  • Post the chart here!
  • I second Dave here. I would be interested to see it as well.

Thanks
    Jay
  • On the chart what is LA and L2-3?
  • I am not sure, still haven't seent he chart :'(
  • I think LA is limp after any number of limpers in front of you and L2-3 is limp behind 2-3 limpers.
  • i dont know whats up with that chart - my web hosting is messed up so i cant host anyhting, sorry...
    email me for the chart and i will forawrd it to you

on another note - 10 days later i am still running very well ....
    after a mere 1,400 hands im @ 7.37BB/100hands and up over 1k
  • the_main wrote:
    on another note -  10 days later i am still running very well ....
    after a mere 1,400 hands im @ 7.37BB/100hands and up over 1k

I hate you... So much.