How unlucky

Worst beat ever last night. I was playing in a little home game tournament with 18 friends of mine. Here is what happen.

It was down to me and someone I never played against heads up for $252. Even though I hadn't played against him before and he had about 65% of the chips I was confident I would win from watching his play at the final table. Anyway about 6 hands into the heads up I was dealt K-Js in the BB. He tripled the BB and I called. The flop comes up Kh-6s-Jd. I checked here hoping that he would come out and bet big again. He had a habit on trying to buy the pot after a check in first position. He did exactly that and pushed all in. I finally had him where I wanted him. I quickly called and turned over K-J giving me top 2 pair. He then turned over A-A. I definitely thought he had a pocket pair but not aces lol. I was still confident as I knew I was about a 70% favourite in the hand. The turn came up 7c and I was one card away from putting myself in great position to win this thing. However the river came up 7h giving him a higher two-pair. I almost fell over when I saw that card come up. I was surely steaming but fealt a little better when I was handed $108 for coming in 2nd.

So there it is. Any suggestions on how I could have played this "better". Hope you enjoyed 8)

Comments

• Ouch.

Luck can get the best of us all... don't worry, you played it fine. All you can hope for is to get your chips in as a significant favourite, and you did just that. Congrats on your second-place finish.

Regards,
    all_aces
  • $108 is not bad, but it sucks to lose a hand like that.
  • Thanks guys. I don't feel so bad about the lost now as I did eariler. However for some reason I would have rather lost to a set then him just pairing the board. :(
  • tough loss, but it wasn't that bad. I mean he had pocket aces and post flop you took the lead. And you had the lead until the good ol' river. I would have done the same thing I think. Top 2 pair on the board and knowing your opponent would try to steal from you after missing the flop...
  • can't comment on the hand without knowing the size of the stacks and the blinds. When he went 3-times the big blind how much of your stack did this represent? The only thing I could suggest is that perhaps your preflop call was weak (if it was indeed a significant raise).

Headsup is difficult -- in a normal ring game you are not likely going to call a raise with a hand like KJ (it is a big problem hand) but headsup there is a reasonable chance you are ahead if your opponent is very aggressive.

Anyway bad luck after the lucky flop. :-P You can consider yourself somewhat lucky, however, in that if you just flopped the King or Jack you might have went with him as well and have been a big longshot.

.kw
  • can't comment on the hand without knowing the size of the stacks and the blinds.

Well, he did mention that he has about 35% of the total chips.

So, the way I see it, if 3 BB is actually a large portion (say, 40% or more) of his stack, then the tournament is basically in "bingo mode" already, and I think KJ is a perfectly fine hand to gamble with. In this case, I'd probably push in, or call and bet any flop.

If the blinds are still relatively small compared to the stacks, I still think calling pre-flop is fine here. Heads-up, two face cards is a perfectly reasonable hand to frequently defend your BB with (which you should be doing fairly often when it's heads-up).

I don't see either player making a mistake here, and checking top two after noticing that the opponent is betting a lot of flops is a nice idea.

ScottyZ
  • Given the fact it's happened to me, I would suggest forgetting the slow play to draw him in. Taking him out in one hand is dramatic yes, but if you'd gone all-in first, he may have made you for the 2 pair, and folded. He also may have called you, but that's the chance you take.

With KJ6 showing, you have to put him on AA, KK, JJ, or 66 as his best hands. Unless he was playing loose all night, then maybe a straight draw. AQ, A10, Q10, 10/9
    Or even a lower two pair. K6, J6
    A fold after his all-in, may have been your best play. (before you knew the outcome that is) Easy to armchair quarterback after the game is over. lol He may have been bluffing too, as it was heads up at that point.

I would have gone all-in first. Slow playing has cost me more money than I care to remember. lol I've slow played trips, straights, and low flushes and been beaten for it. From now on, I bet what I have most of the time. Remember, you are betting what you have at that point. He isn't if he needs a draw. Sometimes that's enough for him to lay it down if you go all-in first.
  • kwplayer wrote:
    Anyway bad luck after the lucky flop. :-P You can consider yourself somewhat lucky, however, in that if you just flopped the King or Jack you might have went with him as well and have been a big longshot.
    I have to agree here. KJ is just the type of hand to suck you into a pot but not hold up. I think losing to AA is never a bad beat is you are definitly the underdog preflop.
  • A fold after his all-in, may have been your best play.

Check and fold top two pair heads-up?

ScottyZ
  • KJ is just the type of hand to suck you into a pot but not hold up.

I'd agree with this if we were talking about a full game, where KJ generally sucks.

However, KJ is a pretty good hand heads-up, partially because you *don't* have to worry nearly as much about what you are mentioning: making the second best hand.

ScottyZ
  • True, I would have played it too. And mostly likely had the same result as I can not see floding top two pair, however you really need the full tournament context to make an absolute decission.
  • I was late to get back to work when I first posted. Also wanted to add this.
    "He had a habit of trying to buy the pot after a check in first
    position. He did exactly that and pushed all in."

That is also a very good way for him to draw you in too. When you hit heads up, he can draw you into just about any hand he wants to, if he has you thinking that way. I generally don't take everything I see earlier in the game for granted once it gets heads up. Unless from his earlier play you have him pegged as a mediocre to poor player. Just another factor to consider.
  • I know what you're saying DJP, but I didn't believe he was skilled enough to think like that. Besides I had top two pair...what else was I to do? If he was trying to draw me in it was a chance I had to take.
  • ...I didn't believe he was skilled enough to think like that...

That's what I needed to hear. lol
  • Ouch. You did the right thing considering your stack and all.

At least you made some money though.
  • Yeah I would have surely hated to not bring home anything. I need money :wink: