Team Canuck Tournament - Aug 27

Team Canuck Tournament at ParadisePoker.com, August 27, 2005 at 10:00 PM EST

The cost:  Buy-in $10+1 – Re-buys $10 until the first break – add-on $10.

The game:  No-limit hold’em.

The amazing perks:  All ten players at the final table will play a sit-n-go the next day at 3:00 PM EST. The winner of this sit-n-go gets a free $600 entry into the Paradise Masters on September 17, 2005.
***This sit-n-go is added money. The Team Canuck Tournamet will play to completion on Aug 27 ***

More amazing perks: ParadisePoker.com is placing a bounty on each member of Team Canuck Poker. Knock any one of us out and you get $50.

Wanted:  DAS_DAS $50 (Dave Scharf)
                turniptruck $50 (Bob Jarrett)
                all_aces $50 (Devin Armstrong)
                FastWilly $50 (Ralph Mair)

In every other regard, this is an ordinary ParadisePoker tournament. Payouts, etc will be in accordance with their usual rules.

Comments

• Boooooooooooo I can't play :'(

Good luck everyone
  • I guess that answers my question.

I will be there will bells on...and only bells.
  • I will be there will bells on...and only bells.

I have to go kill a chicken with my bare hands, just to get a more pleasant image into my head.
  • Perhaps it is more pleasant but unfortunately for me, the images are very similar.
  • Perhaps it is more pleasant but unfortunately for me, the images are very similar.

Of course. Naked man, dead chicken. Tomato, tomAHto.

ScottyZ
  • I will be there will bells on...and only bells.

I have to go kill a chicken with my bare hands, just to get a more pleasant image into my head.
    Of course, by this, you mean you are going to 'choke the chicken'? Definitely the same image!
  • I will as of course be there, to help ensure again that no member of Team Canuck can place in the money.
  • So far we are 0 for 12.

I am blaming the $50 bounty. That and last tournament Ralph wasn't too focussed beause he was also playing $25-50 deuce-to-seven triple draw against Oneal Longston and that was taking up most of his focus. Sheesh.
  • does the only first place get money or is trhere any other payouts involved
  • It depend on the number of players who enter...
  • Standard ParadisePoker.com payout structure. So, about 10% of the field are in the money.
  • Just a reminder that this one is tonight. Be there.
  • Just noticed it is not a freezeout. Why the change?
  • To be honest... the change was by accident. It's what I asked for thinking, at the time, that this is what had been done in the past. Heh. Oops.
  • I noticed something else.

Today's Team Canuck tournament on Paradise takes place at 9:00 pm Eastern, which is both different than is advertised in this thread, and different from the previous Team Canuck tourney starting times.

ScottyZ
  • The start time for this tourney now shows as 9:05pm Eastern.

ScottyZ
  • At the risk of sounding picky, I also noticed that Dave listed Rebuys and addons as $10. I think that they will be $11 after reading Paradise's policy on Rebuy tourneys. They take a 9% fee off of entry fees as well as rebuys and addons. This means that for every $11 paid in to the tourney, $10.01 will be placed in the prize pool.
  • They could be $10, in which case, $0.90 of each re-buy and add-on would go to the house, and $9.10 into the prize pool.

ScottyZ
  • I don't know how the 10 PM / 9 PM EST thing happened. Sigh...
  • Still about 5 minutes to register.

ALAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARM!

ScottyZ
  • Join in the Aug 27 BLOG" to chat the tournament as it happens.
  • Here's the hand that pissed me off and pretty much ensured I wasn't moving up in the money:

Game #949870511 - Tournament Team Canuck - 3,000/6,000 No Limit Texas Hold'em - 2005/08/27-22:09:32.8 (CST) Table "Team Canuck 1" (MTT) -- Seat 10 is the button Seat 2: PhallicPhil (10,665 in chips) Seat 4: Ibyte (24,790 in chips) Seat 5: pkrfce9 (8,530 in chips) Seat 6: Spancy (133,705 in chips) Seat 9: Zimmz (37,700 in chips) Seat 10: LAcNote (85,110 in chips)
    Ibyte : Ante (300)
    pkrfce9 : Ante (300)
    Spancy : Ante (300)
    Zimmz : Ante (300)
    LAcNote : Ante (300)
    PhallicPhil: Ante (300)
    PhallicPhil: Post Small Blind (3,000)
    Ibyte : Post Big Blind (6,000)
    Dealing...
    Dealt to pkrfce9 [ 9c ]
    Dealt to pkrfce9 [ 7c ]
    pkrfce9 : Fold
    Spancy : Fold
    Zimmz : Fold
    LAcNote : Fold
    PhallicPhil: Raise All-in (7,365)
    Ibyte : Fold
    PhallicPhil: Winner -- doesn't show cards
    *** SUMMARY ***
    Pot: 13,800 | PhallicPhil bet 10,665, collected 18,165, net +7,500 [ Jd 8d ]

It was 4300 to you against an 18k pot. Highly unlikely you'd be a 4-1 underdog and you had a chance to move up in the money with little risk to your stack. AND do a favour for your old buddy. I'm curious what made you fold.
  • Ok what am I missing? Folded to him, he's short stack, he pushed?
    Pretty standard move.....

why the uproar?
  • Not an uproar. Here's the key piece:
    pkrfce9 wrote:
    It was 4300 to you against an 18k pot. Highly unlikely you'd be a 4-1 underdog and you had a chance to move up in the money with little risk to your stack. AND do a favour for your old buddy. I'm curious what made you fold.
  • I dont know his cards, but it seems that there a couple of plausible explanations.

If he calls and loses he's hurting, so give him the conservative side of the fold.

Or he had a brain fart, I didnt look at the odds even when you wrote em out, maybe he missed that?

The unplauseble one is collusion, which based on that HH, is a far stretch from not making a call which may have been a mistake.

Also considering his position 4k means a hefty move up in the $$?
  • I do know that later the same day Magithighs (Ibyte) won his way into the Foxwoods WPT event in November. Go Lou go!
  • Actually that was the next day.

But don't change the subject! I need answers. :D
  • In tournaments, you might pass on close +EV plays if the alternative play has lower variance.

I would probably fold complete cheese, like 6-high for example, in the same spot even though I appeared to be getting the correct pot odds to call (i.e., if it appeared to be a +EV play).

But, to be honest, if I noticed that pkrface9 was near the bubble, I would have mucked a QQ. Reason: pkrface9 is soooooooo easy to put on tilt.

ScottyZ
  • I can't remember what I had, but I believe it was someting like 82 or the like.

Here's my thoughts.  I'm toying with a bell curve for the value of chips.  As I get lower in chips, there  gets a point where the chips are most valuable.  Past that middle part and  they quickly go down in value, other than keeping me in the tournament.  18k was an extremely valuable stack.  There was spancy, and most others around the 20-30k stack.  I can survive two rounds  if I need to, and more importantly, it's a stack size that's not easily callable by the mid size stacks.  With 18k, my opponents feel like they are putting the tourney on the line and it narrows their range of calling hands.  I felt that 14k would go below that psychological level, and my all-in would get called by a wider range of hands, especially from the BB.   Even though it's positive EV, I'm looking at a 70% chance of being impotent.  I want to be viewed as a threat rather than a nice juicy dinner. 

The upside was the 18k  pot.  That would put me at 32k.  It wouldn't make a whole lot of difference to me at that point.  And, I find that being unpredictable (pushing my whole stack in) is more effective than calling.  For my first push, players will fold more hands, then my second push they widen their range and give me far better odds -- the nice thing is that I have a bigger stack for the second  push. 

Also, 18k lets me survive one complete set of blinds.  Sb 3k, +9k next blind round, plush antes.  4k less, and  I can't go beyond the next blind round.

But, in the end, I thought....hmmmm...how can I put the boots to pkrfce, cause he doesn't know who I am and I can get away with it!!

Ok, how the heck did I think of all of that.  Well, I knew my blind was coming up and went through my options, depending on who pushed.  So, I had lots of time to think it through.

Cheers
    Magi
  • ScottyZ wrote:
    But, to be honest, if I noticed that pkrface9 was near the bubble, I would have mucked a QQ. Reason: pkrface9 is soooooooo easy to put on tilt.
    Tru dat.  :rage:

Naw, not really. I was BB next and so short stacked that I was going all-in no matter what. In fact, I had 53o and busted. Believe it or not! I was definitely rooting for a call there though to help me move up a spot.

I'll have to check the hand histories again but as I recall, I was pretty card dead the whole time but managed to steal the blinds a couple of times. The table was pretty aggressive since it was bingo time. I was waiting for chances to push my chips when no one else had yet entered the pot. Problem was, in most cases, someone had already raised so much by the time it got to me, my push wouldn't have scared them out. I let it go too long without moving in but I did manage to move up 3 or 4 spots by cautious play. Ironically, this hand where I was UTG was my best hope but I was sure either SB or BB would defend against someone else's raise and possibly go broke. My bad.

I guess the purpose of my post is to raise the question "When should a BB call a short stacks all-in?" Magi's insights are eye opening for me, since my comment at the time was this was an auto call given the odds and situation. I still kinda feel that way but have to respect Magi's expertise. Anyone else have any insight on the thinking process in this situation?