Hands you just love to play

Besides the obivous, what is your favorite hand?

I love playing JT suited or even offsuit if I have a good feeling :)

Comments

• I love to play AA

Just kidding...one of my favourite hands to play is A-T or K-T. I don't know what it is about these hands but they are always lucky for me. Oh and two black nines is ideal ;)
  • This reminds me of one of the most reliable tells I ever got.

There was a regular player I played with who always saw the flop with 24 specifically as "favorites". He loved talking about playing 24 and he had some theory of how people never expect him to have 24, so he thinks it's worth playing because when it hits, he'll get paid off.

Uh-huh.

Anyway, one hand I have AK on the button, and 4 or 5 players see the flop. The Rounders flop comes down A35 and the guy bets out in first position. I notice him shoot a quick smile to his friend/girlfriend who is also playing (but she has folded already... this wasn't any kind of signal or anything like that). Folded to me, and I instanty fold AK face up and say "Nice hand". Everyone is very stunned. The guy shows 24 for the nuts. Everyone is even more stunned. Mr. 24 and I look at each other for a second and then both start laughing our asses off.

The non-regulars who didn't know about Mr. 24 probably thought we were loonies.

"Should hcaf paid mee off on dat one."

BTW, the reason I was so confident that he had 24 was that I had seen him shoot exactly the same glance to the friend/girlfriend previously in the session when he had flopped trips to his 24.

So, as for my own favorites? I'm not telling. 8)

ScottyZ
  • ScottyZ wrote:
    So, as for my own favorites? I'm not telling. 8)
    ScottyZ

I should have bet that you wouldn't tell. :D

I guess if you shoot your girlfriend The Look (tm) when you get your flop with your ultra special love to play hand, then you are stuped.

I think I can play mine without the extra "SEE!! I LOVE THIS HAND OMG I AM GOING TO TAKE THIS POT HUGE" look. :D
  • I should have bet that you wouldn't tell.

Whoa, now I'm getting so predictable that people are staring to think about betting on me? ;)

To be honest, I don't even *have* a sentimental favorite hand. I sometimes use ceratin hands (or cards) to mix up some of my close decisions, but there isn't even a specific hand that I use all the time for that purpose. And that's about the extent of it.

As for some hands that have "served me well on those long nights at sea" ("Yarrrrr"), I think I've only made quads in live poker with 99 and AA. And I seem to have had a lot of success with 66 specifically too. (Yes, I only play pocket pairs.) 8)

The shuffling must have been rigged.

ScottyZ
  • I love playing medium pocket pairs (7-T), making my set with an overcard on the board so that top pair does the betting. Actually, same goes for low pocket pairs but you just have to be more careful with them.
  • for some reason in limit games i believe that the Axs is one of the best hands when there is a lot of players in the pot plus hittting the flush
  • 22, I always play it in NL and sometimes in MP in limit. I love hitting trips with it, and easy to toss away.
  • ScottyZ wrote:
    I should have bet that you wouldn't tell.

As for some hands that have "served me well on those long nights at sea" ("Yarrrrr"), I think I've only made quads in live poker with 99 and AA. And I seem to have had a lot of success with 66 specifically too. (Yes, I only play pocket pairs.) 8)

ScottyZ

Really? I made quads 3 times in a week once. I have lost count of the overall number of times. Some of my favourites:

Playing no limit. I have 77. Flop comes J76 all hearts. There is a bet, I raise all-in and get called by the guy to my left, and the original bettor. The guy to my left flips over a flush (I have outs...) and the original bettor flips over JJ (I am f***ed...) ...until the turn brings the case 7.

Playing no limit 3-handed. I call a pre-flop raise with QJ. Flop comes JJJ. I push all-in and get called by the raiser, who has QQ.

Playing $5/$10 at Brantford. All I remember is that I had a 5 in my hand. The flop comes 3 hearts, including the 5h. I bet my bottom pair, get raised, and call (yeah, a questionable play at best. I was on tilt). Turn is a 5. I check-raise and get called. River is a 5. I bet out and get called. The other player had flopped a flush.

Playing $4/$8 at 'Rama, in the days before Brantford opened their poker room. I have AK. Flop is KJJ (actually I don't remember if they were jacks or some other rank, but it is irrelevant). I bet out, get raised, and call. Turn is a J. Bet, get raised, call. River is a J. The other person had KK. Does this even COUNT as making quads?

I have never made quads and lost, but, given the stories above, you can see that I have it coming to me.

Oh, my favourite hands? TT (I have made quads with 10's about 3 or 4 times), QT, AQs, KQs, and any two wheel cards not including an ace. Just because I like 'em doesn't mean I play 'em.

Hands I hate: AJ, AT, ..., A2 (suited or not). Same with KJ down to K2. Don't ask me why I love QT and hate KJ.

Keith
  • Playing $5/$10 at Brantford. All I remember is that I had a 5 in my hand. The flop comes 3 hearts, including the 5h. I bet my bottom pair, get raised, and call (yeah, a questionable play at best. I was on tilt). Turn is a 5. I check-raise and get called. River is a 5. I bet out and get called. The other player had flopped a flush.

Ha ha! Great play Keith. That one has to go in your book when you write it! :)