Posts in off topic don't increment post count

Sloth,

Is this possible?

Thanks.

Comments

• i believe it is and have been considering it...especially when there is a value assigned to post count (ie free stuff)
  • Grrr - so those of us who recently joined will never attain the lofty heights reached by those who went before.

Actually, I don't personally care about "post count" or "level". However, this plan concerns me due a certain new forum member who was blatantly posting junk to increase his post-count. I asked All-Aces about how to block this from my "unread items" view, but apparently that feature isn't available. He said to simply ignore anything in off-topic, which is fine (thanks for the help :) ).

The problem is that if off-topic no longer counts for posts, and someone is going to be dumb and try to inflate their post count, we may get garbage in other topics. I'd rather have someone "Elite" whose posts I never see, since they stay in the other room. However, I understand your dilema, since you're planning on giving stuff away.

If I can make a small suggestion, what about doing your "stuff for posts" based on forum voting/polls. Set a criteria for voting (you could only allow non-newbies, or 3-month +, etc.), and then let the community decide. This means that whoever serves the community best will be rewarded. If the community wants straight-forward, no-nonsense advice, they can vote for it. Or, they could vote for Scotty ;)

Just more thoughts from a newbie :)
  • My apologies, I'll stop flooding the Off Topic board. I've reached 500, so I'm good now! ;)
  • However, this plan concerns me due a certain new forum member who was blatantly posting junk to increase his post-count.

If you are talking about who I think you are talking about, this user has already been banned.

You also bring up another good point though. An "Ignore User" feature would be useful, as would "Ignore Thread" and "Ignore Forum Section" options. Of course, availability of these sorts of features is really up to SMF in the end.

For now, unfortunately, there is not really a good way to automatically ignore threads (or users) that you're not interested in.

I will delete "inflating post count" posts if it seems to be getting out of hand.

ScottyZ