Jeff Campbell's WSOP Trip Report (Camblor)

Jeff sent this email to me earlier today, said it was cool if I posted it. Great efforts Jeff, poker is all about not getting unlucky more then it is 'getting lucky'. Great accomplishment even being there although I'm sure you expected a better result with your talent. Nice work, sounds like you and Kev are having a blast.

stp

Hey everyone,

Well if you havn't heard yet, I busted out of the main event late last night. Dissapointing, but I had a good time. No real big names at my table, I knew one pros from the european poker tour, Tony Bloom and another guy I cant remember right now. I just had no luck with my big hands. Early in the day i was looking alright had picked up a few decent pots and thought my table was bit soft considering the stage. Then I got unlucky, 50-100 blinds, i have close to the 10k i started with, under the gun brings it in for 425, another guy cold calls, i'm in the small blind with KK, and make it 1800 to go, one caller. When the flop comes A high I am certain he has an ace, so i have to check-fold. The next level is 100-200 with an ante. I have KK again in early postion and make it 700, folded around to the button, who pushes allin. It was another 1300 to call, i make a good call after seeing the guy flip over AKo, A hi flop again! Down to 6000 at the dinner break, but still not feeling out of it, actually happy to still have chips, going o for with big favourites. I basically fold for about 2 hours straight into the 5th level. The day is suppose to end at the 6th level or around 2am (started at 11am) Anyways the blinds and antes are eating away at my stack when i finally pick up a hand. AK suited bring it in for a raise, 1 caller. Flop comes ratty 448, he bets the pot,I am now fairly sure he has a mediocre pocket pair which beats my aK and i am forced to lay down. Few hand later the dealer accidently exposes someones 2nd card when it is partially flashed. So he takes that card back and it becomes the first muck card, and he shows the 9d to everyone at the table, 9 is in the muck. Im in the big blind, folded around the the button, who comes in with abig raise. I look down at my cards and see 99!! I am fairly sure that i am ahead of him, but i decide that calling is not an option, with one 9 out of play I am drawing slim at improving, i consider raising allin, but end up mucking the pair after realizing best case scenario I was in a race, with one of my 9's being dead. I am now very short stacked, and when folded around to me in the small blind i push my last 2k in with k4s, the big blind calls me, and I am certain my day has come to an end. When he flips over 33, I am pumped to see i'm in another race. The flop comes 578, giving me 4 more outs with a gutshot. Turn and river come bricky rags and I am out after 11 hours of play. I see how much luck is involved in surviving day 1, You have to win with your favourites, which i didn't , and win a few races, which i didn't.
Thanks all for the best wishes, i appreciateded it.
Last night kev and I saw brooke Burke playing roullette so we went to her table and played with her for a bit. No one around knew it was her, but we sure did. Saw lots of other big name poker guys and celebs playing my day. Shannon elizabeth was a few tables over, saw boston rob and amber, jennifer Tilly a few tables over as wel. Ray romano's brother (massive) got a big round of applause when he busted out. Affleck, Dicaprio, Donna from 70's, Damon, are all apparently playing today.
Last night Ulimate Bet had a party and sent us an e-mail telling us to come. It was at the Ghostbar, which is on the top on the Palms. UNBELIEVABLE club. We got free drinks for 3 hours, Devil fish was rocking out on guitar. About half of the club is indoors, and then half is on the rooftop patio, with the best view of vegas you can imagine. Got some pretty cool pics.
Talk to you all later,
Take Care,
Jeff

Comments

• Damn!
    I checked this morning an saw a Jeff Campbell with 75 grrrrr and was thinking that was him.

Nice work anyways.
    As STP said, getting there was a hell of an accomplishment.
    I guess all you have to look forward to is coming back and taking all of our local money! :D
    Well that and a little more roulette with Brooke Burke!

BCC55
  • Tough breaks.  I too saw a Jeff Campbell with 75K, and was happy to note that I'd be able to follow yet another player's progress in the Main Event.  Sounds like Jeff played a solid tournament though... a lot of players probably would have gone broke with those hands a lot sooner than he did.  He gave himself the best chance to win, and that's all you can really do.  After that, it's out of your hands.

And, winning or losing, it's impossible to have a truly BAD time in Vegas, as Jeff's email illustrates.  :)
  • stpboy wrote:
    Last night kev and I saw brooke Burke playing roullette so we went to her table and played with her for a bit.  No one around knew it was her, but we sure did.  Saw lots of other big name poker guys and celebs playing my day.  Shannon elizabeth was a few tables over, saw boston rob and amber, jennifer Tilly a few tables over as wel. Ray romano's brother (massive) got a big round of applause when he busted out.  Affleck, Dicaprio, Donna from 70's, Damon, are all apparently playing today.
    Last night Ulimate Bet had a party and sent us an e-mail telling us to come.  It was at the Ghostbar, which is on the top on the Palms.  UNBELIEVABLE club.  We got free drinks for 3 hours, Devil fish was rocking out on guitar.  About half of the club is indoors, and then half is on the rooftop patio, with the best view of vegas you can imagine.  Got some pretty cool pics.
    Talk to you all later,
    Take Care,
    Jeff

You got alot further than any of us ever wish or will, and regardless, this quote must have been one hell of a night.WOW. Congrats, on going as far as you did.
  • Congrats again Jeff for earning your seat the way you did.

When you tell your stories make sure to add that it was none other than "RiverRatJosh" who got you there.........second only to your talents of coarse. You are a player............

I look forward to meeting you at the final table at any of the upcoming events I am involved in...

Maybe we will catch you at Spences, or even mine on the 27th.....check your email.....

enjoy the rest of your stay.....

cash out hard in the side action.......