Flush vs. str8...

Maybe it's just me , but do flushes appear more often than straights to anyone else? I've never tracked it, but I know I will draw to more flushes than str8's , I get beaten more often by flushes, and ones eyes are drawn on the flop first to a flush and then the str8. With 2 cards to your flush on the flop you have 9 outs, open ended str8 , 8 outs, yet flush is higher ranking. I'm sure someone crunched the numbers and came up with the proper odds to prove it's harder to make flush than str8, but i'll be damned if I can see it.

Any thoughts....

Comments

• A flush is ranked higher than a straight in the poker rankings because you are less likely to be dealt a flush than a straight in a 5 card hand.

ScottyZ
  • Well, I NEVER make either. Over the past four days though I can not believe how many times I have seen 4 suited cards on the board... Of course I am not holding that suit!
  • i agree.. i believe that the flush does appear more than the straight..hand rankings should be changed for certain games and i believe that in holdem the straight is much harder than the flush but i doubt there will be any hand ranking changes soon
  • Flushes are rarer than straights, but it is harder to flop a quality draw to a straight than a quality draw to a flush. So a lot of straight draws give up (the price is too high) and are never made. That's why flushes *seem* to be mode common than straights.
    And -- if you flop up-n-down with two of a suit on board and the turn completes your straight and the possible flush -- what do you do? Gamble, I guess...