Phil Helmuth...Ego King

did you see him on poker kings?
what do you have to say?
what can be said?

...my god...

Comments

• He may think highly of himself, but he is always mentally prepared.

He always think he can win, so he can do it. A winner does not think he will lose, or just try to get into the money. Phil aims for #1 and I respect his game for it.
  • i agree. there is a lot to be said about positive thinking, setting goals, envisioning success, and listening to tony robbins. but things like, "i'm turning into the feature piece. i knew that would happen"*....come on...

*not exact, but really close
  • HAHA, he can be a very talkative player and brings an interesting character to the table.

As you know, he is sponsored by Ultimate Bet, and I have seen him online on UB under Phil_Hellmuth and seen him playing low limit (2/4 and 3/6) Omaha and he was cussing at the players giving him bad beats lol.
  • "i'm turning into the feature piece. i knew that would happen"*....

LOL that kicked ass. The show made him out at that point to be an absolute idiot. And maybe he was, for saying that in the first place, with the cameras rolling.

The scariest part was at the end, when he mentioned both a possible film and reality TV show, based on his life.

Even worse--much, much worse--was when he said somewhere in the middle that he wants to "write ten more books". Like Dan said, that's not verbatim, but it's close.

Run and hide.

Regards,
    all_aces
  • I love him. Hes the guy you love to hate :x
  • to be fair, i do agree with what dvst8r pointed out in another thread...that helmuth put's his kids as a priority.

and i do know that this show only gives me one view of him
    there's an entire life and person i know nothing about really

but those lines...
  • funny thing is, and I didn't see the show, but in Phil's book he speaks on table image and to always be friendly etc. Idea being that guys will play "at" you more, and be more likely to call you if they really want to beat you. Makes it hard to bluff.

can anyone say practice what you preach? Seems to me that he has a very immature table image, for lack of a better word, and that if people got annoyed with him they would start playing at him very hard.

Ah well, works for him what ever he is doing right? so who are we to say?

:roll:
  • all_aces wrote:
    "i'm turning into the feature piece. i knew that would happen"*....

LOL that kicked ass. The show made him out at that point to be an absolute idiot. And maybe he was, for saying that in the first place, with the cameras rolling.

The scariest part was at the end, when he mentioned both a possible film and reality TV show, based on his life.

Even worse--much, much worse--was when he said somewhere in the middle that he wants to "write ten more books". Like Dan said, that's not verbatim, but it's close.

Run and hide.

Regards,
    all_aces

reality show on Phil Hellmuth :?: OMG :shock: DA HORROR :o :shock:

ummm...somebody drop me off on a tropical island...
    :shock:
  • Even worse--much, much worse--was when he said somewhere in the middle that he wants to "write ten more books".

A better goal would be to write "one good book".

ScottyZ
  • ScottyZ wrote:
    Even worse--much, much worse--was when he said somewhere in the middle that he wants to "write ten more books".

ScottyZ

probably make more money selling 10 mediocre books
    than 1 good book :shock:

true or false indifferent13.gif
  • ScottyZ wrote:
    Even worse--much, much worse--was when he said somewhere in the middle that he wants to "write ten more books".

ScottyZ

probably make more money selling 10 mediocre books
    than 1 good book :shock:

true or false indifferent13.gif

True, in some markets. Look at authors like Tom Clancy.

I've got nothing against Tom Clancy myself--- I generally enjoy his books. However, he's smart enough to know that *volume* is going to matter more than quality in the mass market paperback genre, so he's not going to waste his time trying to write a single great book in the time it would take him to write several good books.

However, with poker strategy books, it's probably somewhat the opposite situation. Poker books are sold to a bit of a niche market with a (generally) well-informed, and highly critical reader base. (I mean critical here in the sense of critical thinking, not just that poker readers are always negative or something like that.)

I think an author who cranks out several sub-standard poker books is not going to sell nearly as many total copies as a poker author with even only one or two high quality books.

ScottyZ
  • i think Phil mentioned in PokerKings that he sold about 90,000 copies of his book (which ever book that may be)
    would that be considered a good number of books sold :shock: