question

how should i have played this better

PokerStars Game #432379604: Hold'em No Limit ($0.10/$0.25) - 2004/05/12 - 19:23:40 (ET)
Table 'Lamberta' Seat #8 is the button
Seat 1: beaux dog ($6.75 in chips)
Seat 2: davsh ($10.30 in chips)
Seat 3: divides_by_0 ($11.05 in chips)
Seat 4: Jon&April ($28.25 in chips)
Seat 5: Canuck77 ($11.70 in chips)
Seat 6: The_Gamblar ($9.50 in chips)
Seat 7: HappyTree ($12.25 in chips)
Seat 8: Captain75o ($18.55 in chips)
fools crow will be allowed to play after the button
beaux dog: posts small blind $0.10
davsh: posts big blind $0.25
HappyTree: posts small & big blinds $0.35
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to The_Gamblar [Jd Js]
divides_by_0: folds
Jon&April: calls $0.25
Canuck77: folds
The_Gamblar: raises $1.25 to $1.50
divides_by_0 leaves the table
HappyTree: folds
Captain75o: folds
beaux dog: folds
davsh: calls $1.25
Jon&April: folds
*** FLOP *** [Ks 9d 6c]
davsh: checks
The_Gamblar: bets $2
davsh: calls $2
*** TURN *** [Ks 9d 6c] [8h]
davsh: checks
The_Gamblar: checks
*** RIVER *** [Ks 9d 6c 8h] [4c]
davsh: bets $2
The_Gamblar: folds
davsh collected $7.35 from pot

Comments

• here's a stuped question from me :(

why did u fold? :?: :? :shock: :unsure:

i think i would've call :shock:
  • Synopsis: Our hero raises in middle position with J-J after on limper. Only the limper call. Flop is K-9-6. Checked to our hero who bets. Limper calls. Turn is 8. Both check. River is 4. Limper bet $2 into a pot of $7 and our hero folds.

The question is:
    how should i have played this better

Hmm.... I think I probably play the hand the very same as you do.

J-J almost certainly the best hand pre-flop. When the limper calls your flop bet you have to give him credit for something. Given that he limped in I will tend to put him on a hand with which he wants to see the flop cheap. In a micro-limit game like this I am guessing random big cards, suited connectors, or small pair. When he calls the flop bet I am putting him on a king or 8-7. I'm done with the hand. I doubt he is bluffing the river.

That is, unless I have limper pegged as a bluffer in which case I check the turn intending to induce a bluff and call the river.
  • I think "Why did you fold?" is a perfectly valid question, but not with the connotation that you should have called necessarily. The important thing is you need to know why you would call or fold here. You might even feel that raising is better in some cases, but for simplicity let's assume you have already decided for some reason that you do not want to raise.

When you're last to act on the river facing a bet (without the intention of raising), it simply boils down to assessing the probability that you are going to win the hand.

To call here, your probability of winning needs to be greater than

$2 / $7.35 = 0.27

So if you decide that there is more than a 27% chance that you have the better hand, you can call here.

To estimate this probability, you need to know how often this player tends to bet hands worse than JJ in the kind of situation you are in. What range of hands will he call (and not re-raise) a large raise with pre-flop? How often will he bet after the opponent shows weakness? What is this player's typical reason for betting the river? How does he value his hands in general? Might he think a pair below JJ is actually good? Does the river card help him? Was he slowplaying a monster?

If this player was an *absolute unknown*, I would have called. In low-limit no-limit, your opponent could have just about anything here.

ScottyZ
  • i had played 1 round around the table and felt that this player was a tight agressive player.. and based on many unknowns about this player i felt that he had me beat on the turn.. i couldn't see what possible draw he could have been on .on the flop and the fact that he called both the rasie and the 2$ bet i felt he had it.. and the 2$ bet on river kinda look like he was inducing me to call on his Ak of Qk or possible two pairs..he also might have been on a lower kick with the K.. and was just calling to the river until he saw me check the turn.. i just had a gut feeling .. but after the hand.. i was unsure if that gut feel was right..
    that was my reasoning for not calling on the river..