Regular PokerForum.ca tourneys at PokerStars

Hi all, Scottyz and I have been chatting behind the scenes about setting up regular tournaments for forum members. I talked to the people at PokerStars and they are happy to host our tourneys.

We are looking at two tourneys per month on the first and third Tuesday of the month (Tuesdays are apparently the best days for Dave Scharf and Sloth)...with an occasionally larger buyin tourney every now and then.

We're looking at keeping the tourneys low-buyin... 10$+1$(regular PokerStars fees) to keep the tourneys affordable to everyone as we'd like to have as many members turn out as possible. 10 is the lowest I can setup at PokerStars.

BTW, as Scottyz has already setup the tournament scheduled for May18th at ipoker.net , we'll keep that one as is, and then continue on from there at PokerStars June 1st and 15th.

Feel free to bring up any issues or ideas in this thread. I'll give it a few days of discussion before creating the new regular tourneys at PokerStars.

Also, I'd like to hear thoughts on having an occasional higher buy-in tourney. Perhaps every other month we could look at a 30, 50 or 100 buy-in to help satiate those of you looking for a little more action.

Comments

• One specific question to be resolved is if we should go one NL tourney and one limit tourney each month...or is NL so popular, thats all we want?

I'd prefer one of each, but I'd love to hear some feedback.
  • I wouldn't mind playing limit sometimes, but maybe not as often as every other time.

Also, would anybody interested in the "other" games? (Omaha, Omaha8, Stud, Stud8)

I think it makes the most sense to make PokerStars the new "official" venue for Pokerforum.ca, rather than iPoker.net

I realize that this is probably annoying to people who made deposits there (I believe the minimum cashout is $50 unfortunately). As I've said before, PokerStars was my first choice of venue originally, but when I contacted them a few months ago, they said they were not running private tournaments at that time. Good thing SirBry tried again! 8)

We'll still have the $2 tournament scheduled at iPoker.net for Tues, May 18. If people want to, we could consider adding one last "big buy-in" iPoker tournament, which would at least allow the winner(s) of that tournament to get over the minimum cash-out barrier.

ScottyZ
  • I've been wanting to play in the pokerforum tourneys, but I'm also a bit hesitant about putting any money into a site if there may not be action when I want to play, outside of the forum tourneys.

Did that make sense?

Anyways, what I mean is this: yay pokerstars. Excellent. Count me in.

I'm into one limit and one no-limit tourney every month.... that sounds perfect. A lot of people don't like Limit tourneys. I think this is due to the fact that a lot of players--not so much the ones who post here--are new, and all they see on TV on the WPT (for the most part) are NL tourneys.

I can't count the number of times I've been 15 minutes into a NL tourney on pokerroom and someone says: "This is a LIMIT tourney??? Awwww, man!!! I HATE limit tournaments...." and so on.

But, I digress.

Any buy-in is fine with me. A minimum of $10 would be nice, but I see that's what you already had in mind. I'd be into playing 'bigger' ones occasionally as well... $100, or whatever, would be fine.

So... right on! Thanks for putting this together.

Regards,
    all_aces

ps: we should see if the 'bigger' pokerforum tournaments can count towards the Canadian Poker Tour...
  • I just checked the name of the site and confirmed it is PokerForum.ca and not TexasHoldemPokerForum.ca. It is true that the latter is obviously the most popular but it would be nice to mix it up a bit. At least a limit and NL tourny and a 7 card stud thown in every once in a while would be okay.

As for Omaha... nah, that isn't really poker. You might as well have Jokers while you are at it :lol: (Just to clarify this is a joke)
  • well, this is directly related to anyone who is going to play in this tourney, so i'm putting this little idea here, rather than the ad section.

since this is going to be at pokerstars, this is a great way to score a free poker book. it's no where near as good as free chips, but what the hell...i got a free super system out of it, so i'm happy.

if you're going to enter this tournament, but do not have a real-money account at pokerstars yet, sign up for one thru pokersourceonline.com
    that way, they'll send you whatever poker book (or a dvd if you like any of the movies there...but i think a book is way better) you choose from their site.

there are other guys here who got the free chips, so it's no scam.
    anyway, just a tip.

DanT
  • I noticed poker stars has a pokerforum.ca tourney listed for may 18
    10+1 buyin. NL holdem registering now

look under the tourney tab and the sub tab of private
  • Dick Hertz wrote:
    I noticed poker stars has a pokerforum.ca tourney listed for may 18

A tournament for May 18 has already been set up at iPoker, and the first PokerStars private tournament will most likely take place June 1st.

ScottyZ
  • Regarding the 'type' of our twice monthly tourneys....

Why don't we go for the first one each month as NL holdem always and the second one a poll for a diff type? This way we can mix it up a bit every month.

Is that ok? For June, just to get things going, we can go for NL and then limit for the third week Tuesday....and then, sometime in June, I'll setup a poll to vote for the type of the third week event (limit, omaha,stud, whatever).

Fair?
  • Dick Hertz wrote:
    I noticed poker stars has a pokerforum.ca tourney listed for may 18

Hi Dick....I was 'testing out' the tourney creation process, and thought I had deleted the tourney. We will begin to play our member tourneys Tuesday June 1st at Stars. If you've registered, please unregister so I can delete it (I can only delete empty tourneys there).

Thanks!
  • OK its gone now.

I like the idea of voting on one of the monthly tournaments. Looking forward to playing in june.
  • I'm good for Limit or No Limit tourney's, and I'm even up for a larger buyin every once and a while too.
  • Are these events going to be restricted to the Forum users? if so how are we tracking the registrations???

I like exclusivity and think the integrity should be maintained.

Plus I like the idea of going up against all of you, and not having a stranger come in and steal away all our "forums $$$"

Can someone shed some light on this for me?
  • Nice work. I am curious as well how the verification part goes for forum members. Actually what the hell do I care, I'd probably be a lot better of taking my chances against random bad pokerstar low-limit players!
  • Are these events going to be restricted to the Forum users? if so how are we tracking the registrations???

In reality, this is almost impossible to accomplish. Generally, private tournaments are password protected and in the password is normally publically available (in this case, most likely on the forum). More importantly, anyone who really wanted to play in these tournaments could easily just join the forum as a registered member whether or not they even cared about reading posts or posting here.
    Plus I like the idea of going up against all of you, and not having a stranger come in and steal away all our "forums $$$"

I think in practice, it will end up being mostly forum members anyway. Even if some random person does decide to play, they might end up getting interested in the forum, so in some sense this is a nice form of advertising the forum.

The only real reason I can see for us ever being careful about who gets to play in the tournament is if there is something *besides* the prize pool itself on the line (e.g. extra donated prizes, some kind of tournament series points, etc). In cases like that we could look into imposing some kind of membership requirement, like registered member since MM/DD/YY, or X minimum posts, or something like that. For plain ol' cash tournaments, I don't see too big of a problem with outside participants since they're paying the entry fee (and therefore contributing to the prize pool) anyway.

It's basically one of the the trade offs when playing at a larger site (e.g. PokerStars over iPoker). At the same time, we'll attract more actual forum members, and more random unknown players who just happen to spot our tournament on PokerStars.

ScottyZ
  • point taken, and a good point as well.

I just figure it is nice once in a while to be that "part of something" where you can have benefits such as this.

I agree that the more money in the prize pool the better. But then when does it stop being a forum event and start being an event the forum started..... fine line I guess.
  • I would feel bad posting and gloating on this site after I take your money.

On the side note, would you guys be upset if I use my cheating device? :twisted:
  • RoyalFlush wrote:
    I would feel bad posting and gloating on this site after I take your money.

On the side note, would you guys be upset if I use my cheating device? :twisted:

...I'll put my money on Scharf...even if you use the 'cheating device' ;)
  • Scharf?????

Scharf is playing?? I'm out! No good. Unless....

... I have an idea for prize structure, Amateur and Pro break downs....
  • I think the poll idea sounds great... a fair way to resolve the situation. Also, if Scharf is playing, count me out too. :wink:

It would be interesting to run an occasional tournament in which the winner gets to play Dave heads-up for some sort of prize. Not unlike the 'Tom McEvoy' heads-up tourney that Stars already does.

Not the best feeling though: "Great, I just won a tournament! Now I get to play... Dave Scharf... heads-up... yay..."
  • Well SirBry won the last one and I do believe Dave was in that too. So he is the reining champ.

But I know we aren't afraid of him... :roll:
  • Count me in at pokerstars, since I play there already. I'll be looking forward to June 1. 8) 8)
  • Is the house cut always at 10%? Could we run 20+1?
  • giggles wrote:
    Is the house cut always at 10%? Could we run 20+1?

I did notice a $30+$1 private tournament there at least once, but I'm guessing that, unless you are somehow a special case, they would probably charge the "usual" house fee.

ScottyZ
  • The standard fees apply. When I set up the tourney, I have the option of:

10+1
    20+2
    30+3
    50+5
    100+9
    200+15
    500+30
  • I don't want to get into a whole debate about the relative merits of any given software platform here....

But you are leaving some players out in the cold when you use a Windows only site. I know of at least three members of the forum who are not windows users, and there are probably others. I would play if I could...A site that needs no download is a better option. Pokerroom.com is a good one for example.

Just my 2 cents.
  • Jeremy, I appreciate the feedback, and although its not my place to actually make the final decision on where we host, it has seemed that the majority of our members already have PokerStars accounts. Members would be more likely to attend a tourney at which they already have an account...Many have expressed their reluctance to open a new account at a place with which they are unfamiliar.

I don't think it's a question of software, useability, or operating system...witness the fact that the most recent 'browser only' (no install required/platform neutral) forum tourney was cancelled due to lack of interest.
  • Ummm... nobody is stopping anybody from organizing private tournaments at any site they like. For example, SirBry has organized private tournaments at PokerStars by his own volition.

If members would like to organize private tournaments at Pokerroom.com (or wherever) and advertize them on this forum, there is nothing preventing them from doing this. I would ask however, that anyone interested in doing this uses common sense and does their best to avoid scheduling conflicts to whatever extent possible. There are enough days of the week so that this doesn't have to be any competition I think.

ScottyZ
  • witness the fact that the most recent 'browser only' (no install required/platform neutral) forum tourney was cancelled due to lack of interest.

Well, I think that this had nothing at all to do with people's preferences of client software or browser based software.

What's much more likely at play here is that iPoker isn't even on the map as an established site, whereas both Pokerroom.com and PokerStars are both in the top 10 in player traffic.

ScottyZ
  • ScottyZ wrote:
    What's much more likely at play here is that iPoker isn't even on the map as an established site, whereas both Pokerroom.com and PokerStars are both in the top 10 in player traffic.

ScottyZ

I agree wholeheartedly here that iPoker may be an unfair measure of browser based poker....it did lick ;) BUT, it did serve it's purpose as a starting point...thanks ScottyZ for getting the whole forum tourney idea going!
  • ScottyZ wrote:
    Well, I think that this had nothing at all to do with people's preferences of client software or browser based software.

I misunderstand...that is precisely what i said?
    SirBry wrote:
    I don't think it's a question of software, useability, or operating system