Here's A Simple Table To Make

i wish i had taken a couple more pics, but here is the basic process i used to make my first table. it's pretty easy, and didn't really cost much at all.

1) take a 4x8 sheet of plywood (i used paint grade for about $42), and have them cut it in half (now you have two 4x4 sheets).

2) place one on top of the other, clamp them, and cut off the corners.

CutOffCornersSmall.jpg

3) take the bottom piece and place it aside. you're done with it. it becomes the bottom of your table.

4) take the top piece, and cut a smaller octagon out of the centre. this gives you a small octagon (which you pad and upholster), and an outer ring (which you cut cup holes and rectangular chip holes out of).

HalfwaySmall.jpg

5) sand it all nice, give it 3 or 4 coats of minwax (stains and protects in one), screw the ring to the bottom piece, then screw the upholstered center in (you can easily remove this piece to recover if needed), and add some legs.

TableAboveSmall.jpg

add a free set of chips and you're ready to play.

i covered mine with some blue denim i had around (softer than jean denim), and it worked great. it is more durable than felt, and cheaper than pool table felt. also, since it's heavier than felt, my padding could be a little thinner (no need for closed cell) without losing the padded feel.

so there you go...cheap and easy...what we all want when building a table.

Comments

• Did you say FREE set of chips???
  • yep, they were.
    the details are under the ad section here
    http://pokerforum.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?t=473

(if you can wait a few days, or are already signed up at party, they're going to be putting up an offer with pacific soon...not a great poker site, but if an account gets you free chips...)
  • Nicely done!! 8)

I want to make an attempt at making my own, you gave me a couple of good ideas.
  • Wow, really great stain job on the table! I think it looks super cool!
  • nicely done! I like it a lot!
  • thanks a lot guys.
    i've been pretty happy with it.

let's see some pics when you're done, jay
  • For sure. But I haven't even started yet, been a little busy with work and shit...
  • wow that is some craftsmenship.. nicely done..table looks great
  • WOW, thats a nie lookig table now!

Thanks for the heads up on the Free chips too!