WPT celebrity home game

I'm not sure whether I'm a fan of this show or not . I hate watching people play who just learned 5 mintues ago in their dressing room. Then again, it's fun watching serious players like James Woods. Did anyone see the Daniel Baldwin game. Man, he was soooooo hopped up on goofballs. Can't believe they let him play. He has to be the most annoying celebrity player I've ever seen. I have mixed feelings about the Ming Na call with 22. How the hell did she do that????? Maybe it was Gus Hansen in drag.

Comments

• I like it, but don't love it. You don't get the razzle dazzle feel of the "real" tournaments. The commentary is sometimes insightful as they explain the "common mistakes" that are being made as part of the play. And maybe that is entertaining because I am still by most standards a novice. I think you should just take it for what it is. Those bigger tournaments are entire days broken down into an hour or two of action, I don't really think you get a good does of reality from those either, it just looks like someone gets a monster hand every deal. It's not as chopped up and edited as something like Survivor (which is really starting to get on my nevers these days, but that is another topic), but it doesn't really represent how a time at the table actually goes IMHO.
  • Yeah I feel kind of dirty watching it and that Baldwin brother didn't help. The call by Ming Na was incredible. See the current tagline of ScottyZ here on the forum for more background on the call.
  • I find it more frustrating than Celebrity Poker Showdown. In the few episodes I have seen, the players are a lot worse.

I saw a game with Aisha Tyler and she called everything, even when she had crap. She ended up doign well, but it was bad to watch. The commentary is good but the plays are bad.
  • literation wrote:
    Yeah I feel kind of dirty watching it and that Baldwin brother didn't help. The call by Ming Na was incredible. See the current tagline of ScottyZ here on the forum for more background on the call.

For easy reference (assuming I have not changed my sig since posting this)....
  • I know ........ I would have killed Aisha Tyler if I was at that table ....... I'm a gracious loser, but when a really bad player keeps winning, I just lose it.
  • Shatner was on this week. He was actually pretty tight lipped at the table. I was expecting much more flamboyance from him. Mina Suvari (hottie from American Beauty) took the top prize.
  • Yeah, I'd seen the Shatner episode already.  I think it's the best one for ridiculing bad play ....... most of them were awful...... I think the worst I've ever seen.  Techno-geek from Alias folds trip 7's .... what's up with that.  And I couldn't believe how everyone called almost every hand pre-flop with total crap....... what kind of a miracle were they hoping for???
  • Mina suvari, she sweet. Real sweet.
  • Techno-geek from Alias folds trip 7's .... what's up with that.

He misread the board. You could tell because he made some kind of comment like "Did you have the 4?" to Mena after the hand.

IIRC, the actual board was 875 3, and Our Hero must have though the board was 675 3 instead.

It was probably due to either impared vision due to wearing :cool: at the table, or impared brain function due to playing a hand against Mena.
    And I couldn't believe how everyone called almost every hand pre-flop with total crap....... what kind of a miracle were they hoping for???

The miracle of implied odds? :)

I'm certainly not saying that everyone was playing greast poker pre-flop (or post-flop), but sometimes in NL, the flops, turns, and rivers can be very forgiving in terms of any pre-flop mistakes you made.

Seeing a lot of cheap flops in NL with complete rags is probably still an error in a lot of cases, but it is not a horrible one, especially if you play poker well after the flop. And remember that "playing well" always means "playing well relative to your opponents". It may not be so bad making a loose pre-flop call against Captain Kirk. :)

ScottyZ
  • ScottyZ wrote:

It was probably due to either impared vision due to wearing :cool: at the table, or impared brain function due to playing a hand against Mena.

I know my eyes wouldn't have been on the cards either!
  • Wow...... that's a pretty good answer Scotty. I was just ranting ...... wasn't really looking for in-depth analysis, but thanks anyway.