CANCELLED - $40 freezeout, deep stack, single table (10-max), No-Limit Hold 'em tournament

edited January 31 in Poker Games
Hi All,
I'm looking to start hosting some single table tournaments if there's enough interest. Let me know if you'd like me to reserve a seat for you. Details below.

GAME:
** No-Limit Texas Hold 'em single-table tournament
** 800 in chips + 50 bonus for those who arrive on time
** Seating for 6-10 players (any less, the game will be cancelled)
** NO followup/cash game

DATE:
** The tournament will be held on February 1, 2024
** Doors open at 6:45PM, game starts at 7:00PM
** I'm expecting the tournament to last approximately 3-4 hours
** Located in Uptown Waterloo (Address will be sent out closer to the date to those who need it)

MONEY:
** $40 dollar entry (NO re-buys)
** No Rake
** 6-7 players: (75% to 1st | 25% to 2nd) rounded to the nearest $10
** 8-10 players: (50% to 1st | 30% to 2nd | 20% to 3rd) rounded to the nearest $10

BLINDS:
** Late players - blinds will be automatically posted in your absence for the first two levels, after which your chips will be removed and you will not be admitted to the tournament.

(Level: Duration _ Small/Big)
L1: 30 minutes _ 2/4
L2: 30 minutes _ 5/10
L3: 30 minutes _ 10/20
L4: 30 minutes _ 25/50
BREAK: 15 minutes (race off 1,5, and 25 chips)
L5: 30 minutes _ 50/100
L6: 30 minutes _ 100/200
L7: 30 minutes _ 150/300
L8: 30 minutes _ 200/400
L9: 30 minutes _ 250/500
L10: 30 minutes _ 300/600
L11: 30 minutes _ 400/800
L12: 30 minutes _ 500/1000

MISCELLANEOUS:
** BYOB/BYOS
** No ignorant asshole policy in effect

PLAYERS:
1. roconnor
2. king mob
3. JohnnyH
4. Beach2002

TENTATIVE/WAITLIST:
1.ThisOrThat
2. G2

Comments

• edited January 25
    You don't need antes for a single table tournament, which will reduce the jump in cost between levels and create a smoother structure. It also looks like you have a typo for the bb in lvl 8.

Antes are used in an MTT to help drive action when the tables are full. That is not an issue in a STT, as the table becomes progressively more short handed as players bust.
  • @moose , thanks for these suggestions/corrections. I've made changes to the blind structure. Recommendations/tips from you and others are certainly welcomed!
  • Sign me up!
  • I’ll play.
    roconnor
  • Sign me up.
    roconnor
  • @corey_cl , I'll be messaging you separately.
  • interested but sign me up as tentative
    roconnor
  • edited January 27
    This is a Thursday night correct??
    roconnor
  • beach2002 wrote: »
    This is a Thursday night correct. I'd be interested.

Yep, Thursday.
  • Hey all, if we don't get 6 players by the end of Tuesday, we'll cancel the match and try again later on in the month.
  • edited January 31
    Hi all, I'm cancelling this game due to lack of interest. I'll try again later in February. While I'm constrained to a single table, I'd like to hear if you have any recommendations to draw more interest. Different buy-in, day, structure, etc.? Thanks
  • I'm assuming these changes won't be made, but I personally am not interested in driving an hour or more to a low limit buy-in one table tournament when I could bust in an hour and have no cash games afterwards to look forward to.

If I live close, it's different, but I'd assume most who live farther away aren't going to make the trip.
    roconnor
  • I agree with Trigs, it’s hard to get a ton of interest in tournament or cash games below a $100 buyin
    roconnor
  • trigs wrote: »
    I'm assuming these changes won't be made, but I personally am not interested in driving an hour or more to a low limit buy-in one table tournament when I could bust in an hour and have no cash games afterwards to look forward to.

If I live close, it's different, but I'd assume most who live farther away aren't going to make the trip.

Can confirm I was only interested because I live very close and I wanted to support a new host.
    roconnor
  • edited January 31
    It's unfortunate that this one got cancelled. I would love to support and come out to the next one. Thursdays are a hit or miss for me. Wednesdays work much better.
    roconnor
  • Thanks to those who provided feedback. I'll consider a higher buy-in and different day for my next attempt. I agree that I'm not offering an event compelling enough to appeal anyone outside of KW. Cheers!
    jojoMrCaspan
  • I'll be a bit of a dissenter...

The buy in is a big deal for some folks, but I've also filled up a 3 table game at a $50 buy in, and as charming as I am, I doubt that's the main reason folks come out.

Weekdays are hard to get attendees. Bristol street / Compound games run Wednesdays, and for usually buy ins that are lower ($20 - $50?), and it manages to get 2-3 tables, but I would argue this is likely because of Zithal's pristine reputation and legacy as an icon of KW poker (seriously, look at some of the "graduates" like SirWatts). The single table / no cash game is probably a hinderance, but I can appreciate your situation may make that unchangeable. Try again I'd say at the pricing you're comfortable with, and build from there. You're a really great guy having gotten to know you, and it takes some time to build your "brand". I've only really been hosting with any regularity for a couple years now, but I have been around the community for nearly 2 decades so I have a bit of an edge there.

I will gladly come out to a game sometime at your place, this week just didn't work out for me.

Mark
    MrCaspancompueaseroconnor
  • MrCaspanMrCaspan Admin
    edited February 1
    I agree with Mark also I don't like expensive games personally. I just want to play some friendly poker with people to get out of the house. I'm not winning my kids education here. Some people will not leave the house for less than $100 so to each their own to be honest. Some people gamble for fun some take it way too serious.. It's your game, set the price to one that YOU can also afford becuase you have to run it every so often. If you can afford it better then that means more games more often!

Also not everyone has room for a cash game after so thats always up to you as well.

EDIT:
    And sorry I really wanted to go to this game I just have a new born so makes poker hard at nights but possible!! I really liked that you were running this game, decent price and single table! Ill be in for the next game if at the same price!
    compueaseroconnor
  • I am from Hamilton and would have come to your game but had a scheduling problem that night. 40 or 50 bucks and a one table tourney is fine, hope you try again!
    compueaseroconnor
  • Thanks for this second group of messages. I was glad to hear this other perspective and that one of the main issues was simply scheduling.

Mark, Rob, and Matt are great and their tournaments are executed flawlessly so I'm not surprised that they draw 20-50 players (I'm sure the same could be said about other hosts/tourneys in this community, I just haven't been to their games). I don't want to compete with them, but I thought I'd fill in some gaps in the schedule with something smaller scale. I'll try a $50 buy-in for my next attempt and go from there. Cheers!
    jojo
  • You’ll be able to find people with all tastes kicking around. There’s a niche for pretty much every style of game
    roconnor