!!!!NEW TORONTO EAST END!!!! Bugsys Borough - NOV 12 2021

2»

Comments

• DrTyore wrote: »
    I'm with trigs here (wtf?)

Dude was saying nonsense about its legality and trying to convince people of his interpretation / beliefs. Because he simply wanted something to be true, he ignored the facts.

There needs to be a term for something like that. Might be helpful to identify it whenever we see it in any other aspects of our lives.

Mark

I think the term is "gaslighting":

"Gaslighting is a colloquialism, loosely defined as making someone question their own reality.

The term may also be used to describe a person (a "gaslighter") who presents a false narrative to another group or person which leads them to doubt their perceptions and become misled (generally for the gaslighters' own benefit), disoriented or distressed. Generally, this dynamic is only possible when the audience is vulnerable, such as in unequal power relationships, or when the audience is fearful of the losses associated with challenging the false narrative. Gaslighting is not necessarily malicious or intentional, although in some cases it is."

For reference, google D. Trump and acolytes.
  • Gogie wrote: »
    DrTyore wrote: »
    I'm with trigs here (wtf?)

Dude was saying nonsense about its legality and trying to convince people of his interpretation / beliefs. Because he simply wanted something to be true, he ignored the facts.

There needs to be a term for something like that. Might be helpful to identify it whenever we see it in any other aspects of our lives.

Mark

I think the term is "gaslighting":

"Gaslighting is a colloquialism, loosely defined as making someone question their own reality.

The term may also be used to describe a person (a "gaslighter") who presents a false narrative to another group or person which leads them to doubt their perceptions and become misled (generally for the gaslighters' own benefit), disoriented or distressed. Generally, this dynamic is only possible when the audience is vulnerable, such as in unequal power relationships, or when the audience is fearful of the losses associated with challenging the false narrative. Gaslighting is not necessarily malicious or intentional, although in some cases it is."

For reference, google D. Trump and acolytes.

Hey

I appreciate the response but I was being tongue in cheek. This guy was spreading misinformation, and I was drawing a line to (oddly enough) similar things that trump had done (is doing) around <gestures to years 2015 to present day>.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if this guy (and trump 100% does) believes what he said. This technically would be closer to "cognitive dissonance" or when people experience stress because their behaviours contradict their perceptions of themselves / beliefs / morals etc. (pay attention here forumers... Most of us do this in our poker "learning").

Quick example? I think I'm a good poker player, I play badly repeatedly, I say online poker is rigged / other guy just got lucky / my flush draws never get there / etc.

Also I like to think of it as the wizards first rule (sword of truth series by Terry Goodkind) :smile:

"People are stupid. They believe things mainly because they either want them to be true or fear them to be true."

Mark
    Card Dead
  • HeyMods!

Can I change my Screen Name to Gaslighter?

🤪
  • Card Dead wrote: »
    HeyMods!

🤪

Should take effect at midnight.
    Toronto PimpCard Dead
  • compuease wrote: »
    Card Dead wrote: »
    HeyMods!

🤪

OR every time you eat beans.
    compuease
  • moose wrote: »
    compuease wrote: »
    Card Dead wrote: »
    HeyMods!

🤪

OR every time you eat beans.

Should work too!