Pokerstars Home games thread (for Covid19 distraction)

Comments

• edited April 2020
    Not sure how many of you check my spreadsheet out (it's the one after Comp's spreadsheet in the Forum PS online games tracking thread ) but if you do and would like to see anything added to it let me know. I'm doing it just for shits and giggles (I kind of enjoy building spreadsheets like this - you should see my personal budgeting and retirement spreadsheets!) so I don't mind playing around with it.
  • MrCaspanMrCaspan Admin
    edited April 2020
    Gogie wrote: »
    You should see my personal budgeting and retirement spreadsheets!) so I don't mind playing around with it.

@Gogie you sound like my kind of money guy :) I was the same way till Excel could not do what I wanted it to do (or look) and other sites did month to month budgeting which made me think "Who the hell gets paid month to month?", so I programmed an entire budget application that is based on a paycheck to paycheck system. It tells you what bills are due between this paycheck and the next one. It also uses Gail Vaz-Oxlade money jars idea from "Till Debt Do Us Part" so that basically you get paid and you take that paycheck and divide it up into all the variable expense jars (expenses that fluctuate all the time) like "Food", "Gas", "Car Repairs" etc.. and then you have bills in the system so that in a nutshell your jars + your bills should add up to what's in your account! I can import my bank records and track my spending in categories.. I absolutely could not live without it. I keep trying to make it multi user so others can use it but that's a big task but I hope to some day! There is such freedom in knowing exactly where you spend all you money and knowing if you can ACTUALLY afford something! Here are some screenshots! of it

10aj551rpck6.png

gakmnvaob3s3.png

• @MrCaspan I like your thinking. I set up a budget/cashflow worksheet in an Excel-type program (Supercalc followed by Lotus 123) way back when "portable" computers were the rage (think early to mid 1980's and Compaq). It started out as a simple 12-month forecast of expenses and tracking of my income and bank account. I've maintained and updated it since then so that now I use it to forecast out 4 years at a time and track my chequing and savings accounts. That was followed up with a retirement savings spreadsheet that I initially used to forecast the growth of my RRSPs to figure out when I could retire. That was modified to add a post-retirement forecast of the de-cumulation stage of retirement where I can put in various assumptions to see how long my savings will last. This spreadsheet has been very useful the last couple of months - I've been able to see the impact of the recent market crash on my retirement and I'm still ok.

In addition to all of the above I use Moneydance to download and track all my bank accounts. It has a function that allows me to show monthly spending by category so I can compare it to my budget and get a better handle on things.

Good thing I'm retired! I'd never have enough time to handle all this stuff otherwise.
  • MrCaspanMrCaspan Admin
    edited April 2020
    Lotus 123, wow now that is going back to the beginning!! I remeber the saying "DOS ain't done till Lotus won't run!!"

That sounds like an awesome budgeting system. Would love to see it sometime. I am always looking for ways to improve my system!!
  • I actually began my budgeting on columnar pads (I was an accountant many moons ago) using a pencil and eraser. I was ecstatic when I discovered Supercalc.
  • compueasecompuease Admin
    edited April 2020
    I should ban both of you for thread distraction........ My budgeting system is spend until my wife tells me to stop,,,
    MrCaspan
  • Gogie wrote: »
    @MrCaspan I like your thinking. I set up a budget/cashflow worksheet in an Excel-type program (Supercalc followed by Lotus 123) way back when "portable" computers were the rage (think early to mid 1980's and Compaq). It started out as a simple 12-month forecast of expenses and tracking of my income and bank account. I've maintained and updated it since then so that now I use it to forecast out 4 years at a time and track my chequing and savings accounts. That was followed up with a retirement savings spreadsheet that I initially used to forecast the growth of my RRSPs to figure out when I could retire. That was modified to add a post-retirement forecast of the de-cumulation stage of retirement where I can put in various assumptions to see how long my savings will last. This spreadsheet has been very useful the last couple of months - I've been able to see the impact of the recent market crash on my retirement and I'm still ok.

In addition to all of the above I use Moneydance to download and track all my bank accounts. It has a function that allows me to show monthly spending by category so I can compare it to my budget and get a better handle on things.

Good thing I'm retired! I'd never have enough time to handle all this stuff otherwise.

Impressive.
  • MrCaspan wrote: »
    Gogie wrote: »
    You should see my personal budgeting and retirement spreadsheets!) so I don't mind playing around with it.

@Gogie you sound like my kind of money guy :) I was the same way till Excel could not do what I wanted it to do (or look) and other sites did month to month budgeting which made me think "Who the hell gets paid month to month?", so I programmed an entire budget application that is based on a paycheck to paycheck system. It tells you what bills are due between this paycheck and the next one. It also uses Gail Vaz-Oxlade money jars idea from "Till Debt Do Us Part" so that basically you get paid and you take that paycheck and divide it up into all the variable expense jars (expenses that fluctuate all the time) like "Food", "Gas", "Car Repairs" etc.. and then you have bills in the system so that in a nutshell your jars + your bills should add up to what's in your account! I can import my bank records and track my spending in categories.. I absolutely could not live without it. I keep trying to make it multi user so others can use it but that's a big task but I hope to some day! There is such freedom in knowing exactly where you spend all you money and knowing if you can ACTUALLY afford something! Here are some screenshots! of it

10aj551rpck6.png

gakmnvaob3s3.png

Gambling -$4.39

Bullshit! LOL
    GogieMrCaspanBfillmaff
  • kwsteve wrote: »
    Gambling -$4.39

Bullshit! LOL

Believe it or not i am very good with my gambling money. I give my self a certain amount and i dont very often go over it right now... Normally there is more in there but i am playing a lot online so its all online right now..

This way Wife does not care that I gamble as long as I stay in budget

kwsteve
  • Since theCoordinator canceled his game for tonight any interest in having one of ours?
  • I can set one up but I'm not playing, what would you like?
  • How about PLHE and PLO? I'll play if we can get at least a full table.
  • I will set it up now.
  • Game is at 7:30pm tonight
  • Who came first and second last night?
    Who came first and second last night?

trigs 1st, coffin 2nd.
  • No games tonight
  • We would play if there was something. Maybe 8pm?
  • Tomorrow evening guys, what should we play next , double flop chinese with 2 rebuys and bounty?
    Wolffhound
  • Go fish - I might be good at that.
  • Hey Folks!
    Just a couple of observations from comments from Stars for the tournaments the past few days which I hope will be useful for moving forward.
    Keep HORSE as the limit tournament as I took a vote of 8 people if you had to drop one game what would you pick and no game got more than 2 votes and every game got 1 vote.
    Change the pot limit with 2 rebuys 1/2 Hold Em 1/2 Omaha to straight Omaha high. Most thought we already have lots of HoldEm only tournaments.
    There is interest in doing Omaha8 hi/lo again but for speed reasons drop the limit round and do straight pot limit. There was also comments about making all the Omaha tourneys with 2 rebuys for consistency.
    There was also interest in designating certain nights as either no limit holdem or limit HORSE or pot limit Omaha or pot limit Omaha8 that way people can free up there schedules depending on what game(s) they want to play.
    Anyone can feel free to add there own comments as these are just my observations and as always I have my own bias!
    Cheers, Steve
    BfillmaffthisORthat
  • Thanks Steve, was thinking along similar lines especially designating specific nights for specific games. Maybe I should setup games a week in advance if it will let me..
    Go fish - I might be good at that.

I would play that online for money!!! Even Uno!!
  • compuease wrote: »
    Tomorrow evening guys, what should we play next , double flop chinese with 2 rebuys and bounty?

How do you play double flop Chinese?
  • compueasecompuease Admin
    edited April 2020
    Ok here is a proposed schedule, Sunday to Friday, leaving Saturday out for possible bigger afternoon tournament by us or someone else who schedules one. Thoughts? Suggestions?
    Sunday 7:30 PLHE/PLO, 10 min blinds, 5K,
    Monday 7:30 PLO high same blinds, 2 rebuys
    Tuesday 7:30 NL Superstack turbo, 5 min blinds, 20K chips
    Wednesday 7:30 Omaha H/L pot limit, 10 min blinds, 2 rebuys
    Thursday 7:30 NL, 10 min blinds, 5K,
    Thursday 8:00 Horse, 10 min blinds, 5K,
    Friday 7:30 PLO High doublestack turbo, 5 min blinds, 10K chips, 2 rebuys
    trigs
  • Could also make one of the 2 NL tournaments a rebuy as well?
  • I like it. Love the double tourneys on Thursday. So tonight is PLO? Sunday being first in your list has thrown me off?
  • Anyone join the Orangeville tournaments? Their club is is 37021. Don’t know the password anymore. The only thing is they use real money USD. No play money tourneys